Hacking Wii system corrupt

Hielkenator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Unplugging the console fixes the problem!

But I still think there must be something wrog with my console... Toy Story 3 also has the message now...
I'l just do a Complete format and rewrite my HDD, just to be sure.

As I'm probably not able to fix this, I'll leave it for now.
I want to thank everyone who has made time and and helped with my problem.

Thank you.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hielkenator said:
I'll just do a Complete format and rewrite my HDD, just to be sure.
Let us know if this fixes the problem. I'm still interested as to what was causing it in the first place.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Which one of "System Files Corrupted" error is this?

1. The one displayed black on white?
2. Or the one displayed white on black?

First one is intermittent and can occur even without softmod with original games. Second one is permanent afaik.

ps: Also I've got a report of such issue and it was half permanent like it gives this error 19 of 20 boot attempts... Most probably due to garbage under system menu's resources on nand filesystem.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
Which one of "System Files Corrupted" error is this?

1. The one displayed black on white?
2. Or the one displayed white on black?

First one is intermittent and can occur even without softmod with original games. Second one is permanent afaik.

ps: Also I've got a report of such issue and it was half permanent like it gives this error 19 of 20 boot attempts... Most probably due to garbage under system menu's resources on nand filesystem.

He posted a video of it in another thread, it was white on black.

troy512

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boot1b
boot2v4
bootmii/boot2
sm 4.1U
ios60-6174 [original]
priiloader r134
usb fat32
cIOS249[56]-v21[d2x2]
wiiflow r304
mario & sonic at the olympic winter games ROLE8P

tried first using my existing save game, following exactly how you posted in the video. no crash

then removed the save using ATD and started a new game, following exactly how you posted in the video. no crash.

did this method three times without issue.

i know you have determined it to be an issue with your specific console, but i wanted to test it for myself anyway.

Hielkenator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
troy512 said:
boot1b
boot2v4
bootmii/boot2
sm 4.1U
ios60-6174 [original]
priiloader r134
usb fat32
cIOS249[56]-v21[d2x2]
wiiflow r304

tried first using my existing save game, following exactly how you posted in the video. no crash

then removed the save using ATD and started a new game, following exactly how you posted in the video. no crash.

i know you have determined it to be an issue with your specific console, but i wanted to test it for myself anyway.

Maybe the difference is I'm on PAL console .
I Have no clue...

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hielkenator said:
troy512 said:
boot1b
boot2v4
bootmii/boot2
sm 4.1U
ios60-6174 [original]
priiloader r134
usb fat32
cIOS249[56]-v21[d2x2]
wiiflow r304

Maybe the difference is I'm on PAL console .
I Have no clue...

Im on PAL console too but can't produce this problem

Dravial

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to throw in my two cents here, because I have experienced this same problem, but only with one game - Toy Story 3. NTSC game on an NTSC console, running system menu 4.2, you can see my post from two weeks ago or so on it here: http://gbatemp.net/t278201-corrupt-sys-men...ing-toy-story-3

I just wonder after reading everything if it isn't a system menu issue... ie: I wonder if I was on 4.3 if it would not work just fine. Also, I don't have to unplug mine from the wall, simply reboot and system menu error screen goes away. Maybe this helps...

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read the topic in its entirety and i got a question : how can any game or usb loader write to the ios unless it was programed to do so by an update or .dol. all a game does is read the ios when you play it not write it.

I wonder if its that the nand chip is failing? A failing nand chip will cause file corruption.
does the event happen when you use a loader that does not write to the play log?
If you dont get any corruption when the play log is not being updated then guess what its the playlog update.

Lets think about all the things that get written to NAND when we play a game,
(not including updates)

1) title tmd data base gets updated when the game is first run.
2) a folder for the games save gets created.
3) save games get written to the game save folder
4) message board may get written to(like how mario galaxy 1 sends screen shots to message board)
5) Play log gets updated
6) if the game has a channel then it will create/update channel data(mario kart/wii fit)
7) there is prob other stuff feel free to add

all said i dont know how a game can change an ios file unless the game updated the wii or had a dol that tells it to do that.

This seems to be a real problem. and there has to be a logical reason why this is happening

Hielkenator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dravial said:
Just to throw in my two cents here, because I have experienced this same problem, but only with one game - Toy Story 3. NTSC game on an NTSC console, running system menu 4.2, you can see my post from two weeks ago or so on it here: http://gbatemp.net/t278201-corrupt-sys-men...ing-toy-story-3

I just wonder after reading everything if it isn't a system menu issue... ie: I wonder if I was on 4.3 if it would not work just fine. Also, I don't have to unplug mine from the wall, simply reboot and system menu error screen goes away. Maybe this helps...

I've tried Tory Story 3. I Also am able to get the message with this game!

QUOTE(Captain_N @ Mar 1 2011, 06:36 AM) I have read the topic in its entirety and i got a question : how can any game or usb loader write to the ios unless it was programed to do so by an update or .dol. all a game does is read the ios when you play it not write it.

I wonder if its that the nand chip is failing? A failing nand chip will cause file corruption.
does the event happen when you use a loader that does not write to the play log?
If you dont get any corruption when the play log is not being updated then guess what its the playlog update.

Lets think about all the things that get written to NAND when we play a game,
(not including updates)

1) title tmd data base gets updated when the game is first run.
2) a folder for the games save gets created.
3) save games get written to the game save folder
4) message board may get written to(like how mario galaxy 1 sends screen shots to message board)
5) Play log gets updated
6) if the game has a channel then it will create/update channel data(mario kart/wii fit)
7) there is prob other stuff feel free to add

all said i dont know how a game can change an ios file unless the game updated the wii or had a dol that tells it to do that.

This seems to be a real problem. and there has to be a logical reason why this is happening

I don't use the playlog feature.
Unplugging also fixes the corruption.

As for now there are 3 games that CAN make the error happen.
(Very unclear wether it's dangerous or not. At this point it's annoying at least.)

*Mario and sonic at the Olympics PAL
*Naruto shippuden 3
*Toy Story 3 NTSC

F. Lobot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hielkenator said:
(Very unclear wether it's dangerous or not. At this point it's annoying at least.)

*Naruto shippuden 3
*Toy Story 3 NTSC
*Winter Olympics. Different game.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure this is an old issue about the sys menu IOS, most times it's just fixed by powering down the console and restarting it.

When I've came across it with various nand emu testing it has always had something in common. If a game ships with a sys menu IOS and you run it under a lower sys menu IOS, then returning to the menu causes problems.

I've not examined files to see what caused it because you don't get time to when testing something else you just restore and continue.

At the time I came across it though, I noticed some people had a similar problem with some cIOS when doing certain things involving loading games/channels etc.

Anyway as a rule of thumb I install new IOS and have rarely seen it from adopting that approach.

Hielkenator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
F. Lobot said:
Hielkenator said:

*Naruto shippuden 3
*Toy Story 3 NTSC
*Winter Olympics. Different game.

Yep sorry! Forgot "Winter".

As for the above post:
EVEN if all ios are up to date, and using any FW ( 4.0/4.1 ios 60, 4.2 ios70, 4.3 ios80 ) The problem exists.

could it be something with the update partitions on the games?

BBogey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Hielkenator said:
I don't use the playlog feature.

Cfg usb loader updates playlog anyways, that you have "played" cfg usb loader. You can see it from the message board.
What version of priiloader you have and what hacks are enabled?
Try to load directly to config usb loader from priiloader, with this method playlog is not updated. Then try to exit to wii menu.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This never, ever happened to me... but...

1. If you have BootMii on Boot2, start HBC from there.
1b. If you don't, but you have Priiloader installed, turn it on by holding the Reset button as you're turning on the console and then boot HBC.
1c. If you don't have either, you're a very silly user.

2. Download every single IOS that's necessary for the Wii to start up. If you can't seem to be able to do it with Dop-Mii, download them with Nus-Downloader. Re-install them, double-check for stubs. If present, delete them.

3. Delete every singe cIOS you currently have and install whichever cIOS'es you prefere. My config (never experianced the problem) is (if I remember well, I don't feel like checking):

249 - cIOSX v21 Base 56
250 - cIOSX v21 Base 57 (or 37, depends on your preferences)
222 - cIOS HERMES v5 Base 38
223 - cIOS HERMES v5 Base 37

Fix'd.

Dravial

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To Foxi;
I just reinstalled everything via modmii about 4 weeks ago, and yet I am experiencing the Toy Story 3 problem I explained earlier in this thread. I am thinking I pretty well completed your suggestion in doing so (modmii using 'virgin wii' selection) but still have the problem (usb-loader-gx & neo-gamma ONLY when loading from HDD - if using mount disc, even backup copy disc, no issues).
I would also like to note that cfg-usb-loader does not deliver this problem to me, using the same system and cIOS as usb-loader-gx and neo-gamma. I have not tested wiiflow, as cfg is working better in other ways, and its was suggested to me by other more experienced users to just use cfg, and I think at this point I will (kudos Lacius). USB-loader-GX has proven buggy at best and problematic on days that end in 'y', and I only use neo-gamma for my NGC needs (it's great for that).

BBogey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
I wasn't able to replicate this error anymore. It might also be that when I had the error, I was starting cfg loader from Homebrew channel or via wii explorer.

What I have changed since last error:
cfg usb loader v62 -> v65
cfg loader forwarder channel ? -> official cfg loader forwarder v9
cios 249 r19(base 57) -> r21d2x beta2 (base 56)
write playlog feature is not enabled (was enabled earlier)

Hielkenator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Foxi4 said:
This never, ever happened to me... but...

1. If you have BootMii on Boot2, start HBC from there.
1b. If you don't, but you have Priiloader installed, turn it on by holding the Reset button as you're turning on the console and then boot HBC.
1c. If you don't have either, you're a very silly user.

2. Download every single IOS that's necessary for the Wii to start up. If you can't seem to be able to do it with Dop-Mii, download them with Nus-Downloader. Re-install them, double-check for stubs. If present, delete them.

3. Delete every singe cIOS you currently have and install whichever cIOS'es you prefere. My config (never experianced the problem) is (if I remember well, I don't feel like checking):

249 - cIOSX v21 Base 56
250 - cIOSX v21 Base 57 (or 37, depends on your preferences)
222 - cIOS HERMES v5 Base 38
223 - cIOS HERMES v5 Base 37

Fix'd.

Why did you post this?
The problem is fixable... I am not asking for a solution to the problem.
I am still interested it what triggers it an wanted to warn people.
Read the whole post before you post.
Also your advice does'nt help a bit. I am still able to replicate it. LOL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1