Hacking Wii not outputing to full screen

gerrg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i opened up my HBC today (was version 1.0.6 at the time) and downloaded the latest version to my SD card. after that bootmii opened, and i hit exit without scrolling up to install the new HBC. After that, my wii screen went blank, and my DVD drive was blinking blue. I waiting about 2 minutes and then hard booted off the wii. When it came up, the output to the tv isn't full screen anymore, and that goes for anything i open. I've tried going into the wii settings and setting it to widescreen, and setting it to standard, and then widescreen again. I've tried restarting my wii several times but all to no avail. Does anyone happen to know a solution to this? I can't seem to find this anywhere on google or GBA but i might just not be searching for the right thing. Thanks for your help!

just FYI, i'm using 4.1U

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You sure it isn't a setting on your TV? Usually on the remote there is a button called picture or aspect or something.

gerrg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haha, yeah. I tried adjusting it to all the different settings; 4:3, 16:9, cinema, auto (which it is normally set at) and nothing seemed to work.

gerrg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gerrg - Posts: 2
I smell Nintendo FUD.

pic or it didn't happen

sorry for the dim pictures, my phone kept auto adjusting. You can still clearly see the wii menu doesn't go all the way to the edge of the tv, and when i am manually selecting my tv ratio, the tv menu is partially outside the wii menu.
gallery_298026_963_363871.jpg

gallery_298026_963_870663.jpg

I also took a picture of where i have widescreen selected, but these other two pictures take up a lot of space. if someone wants to see that though, i can post. I was thinking i might try to update to 4.2 tomorrow after work and see if that'll fix things. it was showing up full screen earlier today until i exited bootmii.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
gerrg - Posts: 2
I smell Nintendo FUD.

pic or it didn't happen

sorry for the dim pictures, my phone kept auto adjusting. You can still clearly see the wii menu doesn't go all the way to the edge of the tv, and when i am manually selecting my tv ratio, the tv menu is partially outside the wii menu.
gallery_298026_963_363871.jpg

gallery_298026_963_870663.jpg

I also took a picture of where i have widescreen selected, but these other two pictures take up a lot of space. if someone wants to see that though, i can post. I was thinking i might try to update to 4.2 tomorrow after work and see if that'll fix things. it was showing up full screen earlier today until i exited bootmii.
Don't update to 4.2, that won't fix anything and you will have fewer brick recovery options.
1) Go into your Wii settings and make sure that Widescreen is enabled.
2) Enable Overscan on your TV if it's not already enabled. It may be in advanced settings or something, IDK your TV's menu.

PS: I put spoiler tags around the pics, I suggest you do the same.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How do you have the wii connected to your tv? Those LG models don't have all those aspect ratio options when using composite or component...

gerrg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my wii is connected to an onkyo receiver with a component cable.

And i come home tonight from work. Haven't changed anything from last night, turn everything on, and it's full screen again. if i change my tv to "jsut scan" which should auto select the size it isn't quite full screen but close. at a manual setting of 16:9 it is right on. I'm not sure what changed. I tried turning off and on my wii, tv, and receiver in difference combinations, and removing power direction from the device, but maybe all it needed was to sit over night? I'm not sure. Anyways, everything seems to be working now. Hopefully it will stay that way. Thanks for the input!

gerrg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the receiver is going to the TV through an HDMI cable. i have my computer hooked up this way, as well as my PS3. So far, the thing yesterday has been the only time i've seen it put out a non-full screen image.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So the receiver is doing component to HDMI conversion (and probably upscaling)... and occasionally likes to treat the wii as a 4:3 input signal for no apparent reason.

MrFlooD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just ran into the same issue with my Denon Reviver.

1) Make sure your Wii is set to 480p and widescreen
2) Your Onkyo should allow you to adjust video settings per input. Go through the Onkyo settings for your Wii input and start turning things off/on till its fixed. (Usually it will be some sort of scaling or Pixel adjust option)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-