Wii Neogeo emulation question

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Linkuei, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Linkuei
    OP

Linkuei Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2016
    Argentina
    We still can't run ROMs bigger than 25MB?

I know thats Wii have a limited RAM memory for load biggers ROMs than 25MB, but we still don't have a solution?

We can load CPS2 games bigger than 35MB (Street Fighter Alpha 3) and why not NEOGEO ROMs? I know thats complete different systems technically speaking, but this happens due to a possible lake of optimizations on the Neogeo emulators?
    God! Until Nintendo DS could load bigger ROMs with the help of cache files and Wii no!

Someone could explain this to me?
    Thanks!

2. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Your best bet is neo geo virtual console wii injects.

Linkuei likes this.
  3. Santaros

Santaros GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2013
    I would say it's not so much a lack of optimization, more that the emulator has been setup to load the entire rom into memory rather than caching it. It wouldn't be something that could be easily fixed without a significant rewrite of the emulator which isn't going to happen at this stage in the Wii's life.

Linkuei likes this.
  4. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    This. Also SF Alpha 3 is run from the zip file, just like Neo Geo roms, and weighs in under 23MB.... one of the Fatal Fury RB runs on Wii and is a larger size than SFA3 (sorry I'm just being a picky bastard :lol:, but the CPS2 emu isn't any more optimized than the Neo Geo in this instance..)

Linkuei likes this.
  5. Linkuei
    OP

Linkuei Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2016
    Argentina
    Thank you guys!

It's sad that Wii never can load bigger roms since with your 224/240p native resolution + CRT make all the emulators available for him very accurate to the real console experience...

6. nateify

nateify Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2014
    United States
    It might be a little convoluted, but you could build a PC with an old GPU that can display 240p (or similar) out, and use it with a RGB SCART CRT or with a component transcoder for American TVs. Then you could also use more modern, accurate emulators.