Tutorial  Updated

Virtual Console - SNK NeoGeo AES - Wii VC Injection Tutorial

Hello, community.
I'd like to share us my Wii VC injection tutorial for SNK NeoGeo AES (Advanced Entertainment System) / SNK NeoGeo MVS (Multi-Video System) (NG) games.

wz5uXuW.png

iQzuc0N.png

dRI1aue.png

Qs30DMw.png

If you like SNK NeoGeo MVS / AES games as Neo Drift Out: New Tecnology, Neo Pong, Nightmare in the Dark, Aero Fighters 2, Riding Hero or others for those game systems, and you want to see in action as Wii VC games, this is the tutorial for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unproperly following these instructions and/or unproperly packing the 00000000.app file CAN HARD-BRICK YOUR Wii!!!!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CREATE CUSTOM Wii VC WADS unless you know what are you doing!!!!!! It's highly recommendable that you have installed in your Wii any brick protection such as BootMii as boot2, or Priiloader!

Here are the steps to inject your game!

NOTES:
  • When finished the injection, some NeoGeo games, like Neo Pong or Bust-A-Move Again, doesn't boot first the NeoGeo BIOS but loads directly the game. This is normal.
  • The banner.bin (that includes the save icon and save title, NOT IN A 00000000.app FILE!!!), is in the LARGEST .app file. Example: if WAD is 'Metal Slug', the banner.bin file is in the 00000005.app file. Or if WAD is 'Baseball Stars 2', the banner.bin file is in the 00000006.app file. But always unpack the largest .app file for find the banner.bin file you are editing.

----------------------
You can download the tools here: https://gbatemp.net/download/all-in-one-wii-vc-injecting-tools-by-saulfabreg.35917/
Uncompress the ZIP file.
-------------------

FIRST STEP - TAKING A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR GAME

1. Get your NeoGeo MVS / NeoGeo AES ROM. It must be zipped. Emulate it using RetroArch, NeoRAGEx, NGAE or other emulators.
  2. Take a snapshot of your game. Use Snipping Tool to do it.
  3. Click in 'New' and use the mouse to take it.
  4. Save the snapshot in a folder with the name of the game.

SECOND STEP - INJECTING THE ROM
  1. Get your WAD to inject. The recommended NeoGeo WADs for inject are The King of Fighters '94, Metal Slug 1 (with banner.bin), World Heroes and Baseball Stars 2 (with banner.bin).
  2. Unzip your NeoGeo ROM in ZIP format.
  3. Copy all the contents of your NeoGeo ROM in the following folders: .../Devilken_Injector/VC/ROM/
  4. Copy your NeoGeo VC WAD in the following folders: .../Devilken_Injector/VC/
  5. Now open the CMD. For this, click in the address bar and write 'cmd' and press Enter.
  6. Then write the following commands in the CMD: VC.exe [wad_name].wad ROM Example: VC.exe MetalSlug1.wad ROM
  7. Wait the ROM inject in the WAD.
  8. When the VC.exe program shows enter the region, enter the region number and press Enter. The regions are in-screen.
  9. When the VC.exe program shows enter the new game ID, enter the game ID you want to make the injected WAD and press Enter. The instructions for entering new game ID are in-screen.
  10. Wait the program finish the injection. When screen appears 'Mission completed! =)', then close the CMD.
  11. You get a new title.wad file. Now follow the following steps:

THIRD STEP - EDITING THE VCPic.tpl, IconVCPic.tpl AND banner.brlyt FILES

1. Now open the CustomizeMii v3.11 folder
  2. Run CustomizeMii.exe as administrator
  3. In Source Wad, select the injected WAD from the .../Devilken_Injector/VC/' folder.
  4. Click in the 'Title' tab, and delete the translations.
  5. Click in the 'Options' tab, and modify the game ID.
  6. Click in the 'Banner' tab, and select the 'VCPic.tpl' file.
  7. Click in the 'Preview' button
  8. In 'Banner', select again 'VCPic.tpl'
  9. Click in 'Replace', and select 'RGBA8'
  10. Select the screen capture file of your game that you maked in Snipping Tool
  11. Now, in 'Icon', select 'IconVCPic.tpl'
  12. Click again in 'Replace', and select 'RGBA8'
  13. Select the screen capture file of your game again that you maked in Snipping Tool
  14. Close the Preview window
  15. Go to the 'Layout' tab
  16. In 'Banner', select the 'banner.brlyt' file and extract it
  17. Save in the Wii VC Injecting Tools folder
  18. Now open the 'HowardC_Tools' folder
  19. Open the 'VCbrlyt9.0' folder
  20. Run vcbrlyt.exe as administrator
  21. Click in the '...' button to localize the banner.brlyt file
  22. Select the 'banner.brlyt' file that you extracted
  23. Edit the banner.brlyt file as shown:
  • Name: [Game Name]
  • Year: [year that was released the game]
  • Players: [# of allowed players], NO DASHES!!!! (Ex., write '2' for '1-2'
  • Then follow the following steps:
  1. Click in 'Save Changes'
  2. Close the VC brlyt Editor
  3. In CustomizeMii, select again the 'banner.brlyt' file and click in 'Replace'
  4. Select the 'banner.brlyt' file that you edited
  5. Now click in 'Create WAD'
  6. If the 'You changed the brlyt file, but you didn't change the brlan file. Are you sure this is correct?' window shown, select 'Yes' or 'OK'
  7. Save the WAD as '[game_name]_TEST.wad' Example: 'neodriftout_TEST.wad'
  8. Close CustomizeMii
FOURTH STEP - UNPACKING THE EDITED WAD

1. Now copy and paste the WAD in the 'WADpack_WADunpack' folder
  2. Rename the WAD file as 'in.wad'
  3. Use 'WAD Unpacker.bat'
  4. Click in the randomed-name folder. Here's the files that joins the WAD.

FIFTH STEP - CREATING THE SAVE ICON

1. Open again the 'HowardC_Tools' folder
  2. Now, in 'HowardC_Tools' folder, click in the 'VCIcon8.0' folder
  3. Run VC_Icon_Gen.exe as administrator
  4. In 'Console', select:
  • Select 'NeoGeo' for making SNK NeoGeo save icons
  1. In 'Source', select the screen capture photo that you made in Snipping Tool
  2. In 'Dest', select the photo folder
  3. In 'Create', uncheck the options 'Channel Icon' and 'Banner Image'
  4. Click in 'Make Preview' to see the preview of your new save icon
  5. Now click in 'Make' to make the banner.tpl file. This file is saved in the photo's folder.
  6. Now cut all the save icon files and paste in the randomed-name folder.
SIXTH STEP - UNPACKING THE .app FILE THAT CONTAIN THE banner.bin FILE

1. Now go to the 'u8tool10.1' folder and run U8Tool.exe as administrator
  2. In 'Archive File', click in '...' button to localize the file
  3. Select the largest .app file in the randomed-name folder. (Example: If WAD is Metal Slug, unpack the 00000005.app file. If the WAD is Baseball Stars 2, then unpack the 00000006.app file).
  4. Then click in 'Extract'
  5. Minimize the U8 Tool

SEVENTH STEP - INJECTING THE SAVE ICON AND SAVE TITLE

1. Now go to the following folders:
  • The screen capture folder
  • The '.../[randomed-name]/[largest_app_file]_app_OUT/' folder - Example: '00000005_app_OUT'
  1. Now copy the banner.tpl file and paste in the randomed-name folder
  2. Go to the HowardC_Tools folder, and go to the 'VCSaveInject5.0' folder
  3. Run vc_save_inject.exe as administrator
  4. In 'Select a Console', select 'NeoGeo' for NG save inject
  5. In 'Source Tpl(s)', click in '...'
  6. Select the banner.tpl file that you copied to the randomed-name folder
  7. In 'File to Inject', click in '...'
  8. Select the 'banner.bin' file that is in the following folders: '/[randomed_name]/[largest_app_file]_app_OUT/' Example: '00000005_app_OUT' REMEMBER: DO NOT select the 'banner.bin' file of a extracted 00000000.app file, OR YOU GUARANTEE A HARD-BRICK ON YOUR Wii!!!!!!!!!
  9. In 'Save Title(s)', enter the name of the game and click in 'Set ALL'
  10. Click in the 'Inject' button and click in 'Accept' or 'OK' button to close the windows shown
  11. Close the VC Save Icon and Save Title Injector
EIGHTH STEP - PACKING THE .app FILE THAT CONTAIN THE banner.bin FILE

1. Open again the minimized U8 Tool
  2. In 'Archive File', click in '...' button to localize the file
  3. Select the largest .app file in the randomed-name folder. Example: 00000005.app
  4. Then click in 'Pack'
  5. Close the U8 Tool

NINETH STEP - PACKING THE INJECTED WAD

1. Go to the randomed-name folder
  2. Copy all the files (not the folders, just
  3. the files) that are:
  • - The .app files
  • - The .tik file
  • - The .tmd file
  • - The .cert file
  • - The .trailer file
  • - The .wte files
  1. Paste all the files in the 'WADpack_WADunpack' folder
  2. And use 'WAD Packer.bat'
  3. This make a out.wad file
TENTH STEP - USING WADder TO EDIT THE PACKED WAD

1. Go to the 'WADder_Editor' folder
  2. Run wadder.exe as administrator
  3. In 'WAD to Edit', click in 'Browse'
  4. Select the 'out.wad' file that is in the 'WADpack_WADunpack' folder
  5. Click in the 'Title' tab
  6. In 'All Languages', enter the name of the game
  7. Click in the 'Create WAD!' button
  8. In the 'Banner' tab, select the 'VCPic.tpl' file
  9. Click in 'Preview'
  10. Now click in 'Replace'
  11. Select the screen capture that you made in Snipping Tool
  12. Click again in 'Preview'
  13. Click in the 'Icon' tab
  14. In the 'Icon' tab, select the 'IconVCPic.tpl' file
  15. Click in 'Preview'
  16. Now click in 'Replace'
  17. Select the screen capture that you made in Snipping Tool
  18. Click again in 'Preview'
  19. Then click in 'Continue'
  20. Save your WAD as [game_name].wad Example: NeoDriftOut_NEOGEO.wad
  21. OK! Now you injected your game as Wii Virtual Console game, ready to install and use!
INSTALLING YOUR INJECTED WAD:

Remember, you must have installed any brick protection such as BootMii as boot2, or Priiloader BEFORE INSTALLING ANY WAD!!!!!!! For install WADs, you must have the Homebrew Channel installed on your Wii and one of the following homebrew apps:
  • Wii Mod Lite (released by RiiConnect24 bashed on jskyboo's WiiMod)
  • Multi-Mod Manager (released by Wiiwu)
  • YAWMM (Yet Another Wad Manager Mod) (released by Leathl, WiiShizzza and Cwstjdenobs)
  • WAD Manager (released by Waninkoko)
  • Pimp my Wii (released by Attila and distributed by wii-info.fr)
Enjoy injecting your favorite SNK NEOGEO AES games for Wii, and have fun! Enjoy!!!!! :) :yaywii:
SaulFabre

Last edited by SaulFabre,

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
"Unproperly following these instructions and/or unproperly packing the 00000000.app file CAN HARDLY BRICK YOUR Wii!!!!!!"

Maybe change "HARDLY BRICK" to "HARD-BRICK"? It took me a bit to understand what you meant, as "hardly" can also mean "barely".

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
OP
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
"Unproperly following these instructions and/or unproperly packing the 00000000.app file CAN HARDLY BRICK YOUR Wii!!!!!!"

Maybe change "HARDLY BRICK" to "HARD-BRICK"? It took me a bit to understand what you meant, as "hardly" can also mean "barely".
I've just replace the text 'HARDLY BRICK your Wii' to 'HARD-BRICK your Wii', hope it help. PS: I speak English and Spanish.

Reactions: banjo2

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Thank you very much for your tutorial, but I'm stuck at the "INJECTING THE SAVE ICON AND SAVE TITLE" phase : I can choose any console but the Neogeo, and if I do so, I always get "runtime error -2147417848 (80010108)", even when I'm using it with administrator privilege. I tried the version 4 of the software too, but with no luck... HowardC does say something about an "automation error" concerning neogeo since V4 in the "readme" file, so I guess it's somehow connected. Did you encounter something like that, or maybe used the V3 ? Thank you in advance for your answers. Have a good day.

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Thank you very much for your tutorial, but I'm stuck at the "INJECTING THE SAVE ICON AND SAVE TITLE" phase : I can choose any console but the Neogeo, and if I do so, I always get "runtime error -2147417848 (80010108)", even when I'm using it with administrator privilege. I tried the version 4 of the software too, but with no luck... HowardC does say something about an "automation error" concerning neogeo since V4 in the "readme" file, so I guess it's somehow connected. Did you encounter something like that, or maybe used the V3 ? Thank you in advance for your answers. Have a good day.
OK. For fix this problem, you must have all these files shown in this photo:

CoqzjGW1DUQLWGcWNwsJtth5_iNMPyvwuRjbpnHXX-hfEJcUuOrlHzEMFZvfp9om04-QZY2GMqgwCLVv0sQGTYLpMSp2a7T_VQg4KUXiHvqCkGVUJ_EQi672JP9_XTQA-qh2TtKC54brTbLeBsjfCg5-bK14TlPeYWcyrNWGq50g7QoflNXzc-HSrOhx9vMB1qIFgDqfjGYScSWLcubOLp6J7ru9o0attQMGfy4zCquoDZycnv0qhdc9zF5rDSXOSdJwbJIzyu9zE7IY1_T5X6m9yPLeogKp74VnZF-ePuFVEXS2kt4aDM3Va5yaM1facZNbiA9T02XzjCC9YHD5IsnU1ahuwt8ILWkN1ZLGzTWLVXXZgE26upIvk47r4rxTq_uZS0FQGtEPvsLalnHOgbJhtxU5nMiV5q0WLMoqcp5Eb80-6lIjS3vZLEBBjdpjHjdc2u7nKm-85EOKVgLB9XCHhPvn9aBN4cJI8SlTutY7Da_b2M98JYQILK01RFFD-bpY8SZTL6xnuOd6J7juBbfBnjkW8yffwLfdMcJCk5P6vjSG0iz8RUtFPDvETXR-rTb6fxHt6-r6oVijoeW_Q9TmPLy8krVhvSd3C_RB1YubN3MIs3FjMQrivopPJwSUeAlE2IKO18i_NjSVDYaE7FIZ_cUC10k80zTBsPspWcSKmb5A5CHv_ttmOh5CJznCRWK-YdIexlQT7l0-OBUJ4xMnqKc3Ex0CCDMc3jKwHejSzfzQ=w860-h557-no

The 'common-key.bin' file MUST BE IN THE FOLDER OF ALL WII VC INJECTING TOOLS, including the files shown in the photo (except file 'If you don't have Office, you must click here!). If they don't have these files, the VC Save Inject tool won't work. If problem persists, check if the Microsoft ActiveX Control Pad is installed correctly. The link is in the 'If you don't have Office, you must click here!' by clicking in this link. After downloading the setuppad.exe file, you NEED to run it as administrator in Windows 95 compatibility mode.
For more help fixing the files, you can go to my text file 'IMPORTANT - How to fix HowardC Tools.txt'. I'm going to send you the file, and you must check it for fix the problems.
Check if the previous steps helped you and fixed the problem, otherwise download again the full pack of tools here:
https://gbatemp.net/download/all-in-one-wii-vc-injecting-tools-by-saulfabreg.35917/
Have a nice day! :)

Attachments

• IMPORTANT - How to fix HowardC Tools.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 203
Last edited by SaulFabre,

mive

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you know how to avoid that there are a few pixel missing on the right edge?

e.g.
see the video to your Blazing Star or Viewpoint inject

(Blazing Star:
look at the ship selection screen, the "T" of player select text is only half visible

Viewpoint:
look at the player 2 press start text, "t" is barely visible)

best regards

Reactions: SaulFabre

Zorg07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
@SaulFabre
If because of the error that has blazing star and viewpoint I want to correct it, I tried the official Japanese blazing wad and it does not have that, it looks complete.

LongJumpingPitch8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Been making decent progress so far, but currently I'm stuck on INJECTING THE SAVE ICON AND SAVE TITLE. When I try to select NEOGEO it gives me the following error:
upload_2021-9-18_13-1-54.png

I've made sure all the files are installed properly, I installed the setuppad.exe file correctly in the right Compatibility mode. I've tried to use 4.0, and NOTHING WORKS. What is going on???

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Been making decent progress so far, but currently I'm stuck on INJECTING THE SAVE ICON AND SAVE TITLE. When I try to select NEOGEO it gives me the following error:
View attachment 276218
I've made sure all the files are installed properly, I installed the setuppad.exe file correctly in the right Compatibility mode. I've tried to use 4.0, and NOTHING WORKS. What is going on???
try uninstalling these components, and reinstalling them again. Go check my guide for more info: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...y-other-different-non-howardc-program.543414/

LongJumpingPitch8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
I've tried all of that already, and I still get the error. As I mentioned, I only get this error with NEOGEO save injection, as every other console I try works perfectly fine.
have you tried deleted the temporal files from Windows, then rebooting your PC and tried again?
in these folders
C:\Windows\Temp
C:\Users\[YOUR_USER]\AppData\Local\Temp
C:\Windows\Prefetch

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Tried that. Still get the automation error for Neo Geo.
EDIT: Try installing these programs first and then reboot your PC:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vb6extendedruntime/
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Other-Programming-Files/Microsoft-Forms.shtml

Unfortunately, i think the only solution i know for definitively fix that is reinstalling your Windows OS. I had this same problem time ago and i couldn't fix it until i reinstalled Windows and then reinstalled the components required and then it worked.

If you're doing that, please beware to first make a backup of your important data and files, because reinstalling Windows will delete all your files.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@LongJumpingPitch8
EDIT: Try installing these programs first and then reboot your PC:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vb6extendedruntime/
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Other-Programming-Files/Microsoft-Forms.shtml

Unfortunately, i think the only solution i know for definitively fix that is reinstalling your Windows OS. I had this same problem time ago and i couldn't fix it until i reinstalled Windows and then reinstalled the components required and then it worked.

If you're doing that, please beware to first make a backup of your important data and files, because reinstalling Windows will delete all your files.
Message edited

Last edited by SaulFabre, , Reason: added info

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over