Wii modchip media (DVD) compatibility tests

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Scorpei, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Scorpei
    OP

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2006
    Netherlands
    Hey all,

This is the pdf covering my DVD compatiblity of modchips reseach. In this pdf I put several of the most well known modchips to the test and check to see if their compatibility with media (and I don't mean i.e. just not supporting rewritables) is different. Suffice to say, I was very surprised when I saw the results!

I started testing the compatibility of media of my Wii because I bought a set of +rw discs which didn't seem to work. Before taking them back to the store saying it was bad media I figured I would give it one more go. Now for some reason I switched mod-chips earlier and surprise surprise, the +rw disc which I though didn't work with my Wii suddenly started up and I was greeted by SDload! Because I couldn't quite believe what happened I switched around the chips again and indeed the other chip didn't work with the +rw discs. Putting the chip back in that worked before made me able to run SDload again.... Both chips advertise with being able to run +rw (and -rw) media though.

So I started thinking “ Maybe more of the media I rejected in the past wasn't bad media. Maybe there was a similar situation with those discs. Let's test! ”.

Click here to download the PDF!

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Scorpei

2. Hit

Hit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2005
    Netherlands
    That's awesome dude,
    My Phillips DVD+R work fine on my Cylcowiz
    And my Sony DVD-R to
    I see those are also in the PDF [​IMG]

Oh and i don't get what you mean by paper(I know what it is but..), but i think you mean PDF all the time

3. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Nice paper, you should digg it and send a link to it to MaxC.
    Look forward to updates, even though I don't have a Wii I found it an interesting read.
    Luckily us 360 peeps mostly use the same type and brand of media [​IMG]

4. deufeufeu

deufeufeu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2005
    Using the term Research Paper is bit bragging. It's a great piece of information, but definitely not a *research paper*.

5. Scorpei
    OP

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2006
    Netherlands
    A, nvm [​IMG].

6. amptor

amptor Banned

Banned
    May 2, 2003
    United States
    that makes sense, as these are dvd controller mod chips so they will modify the laser signal in different ways. I haven't had problems with the wiikey.

No Taiyo Yudens in that testing? [​IMG] I can say that TYG02's work fine with the wiikey for 1.9B and 1.9G. You can add that to the list if you want. [​IMG]

7. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    This is an important cause. Geeks may explain better it than I could, retail Wii games aren't certified as official DVD-ROM media. Notice the lack of that familiar logo on any box art, discs, or marketing material. Unlike PS2.

8. completing

completing Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2008
    United States
    If he used the scientific method to write the paper, he can call it research.

BUT editing must be done on a research paper before publishing.

'reseach' --> 'research'

9. BigX

BigX GBAtemp Regular

Aug 29, 2007
    Canada
    over there
    Hi,

first of all: good work on the research.

But you have not mentioned other needed facts on the created disc!
    - What Software are you burning to the media (where and how did you obtain them?)?
    - What burner, speed and what firmware was used to burn the media?
    - what charge did you use on the media? (I don't know whether the manufacturer note that somewhere on the package or in the disc structure - maybe someone should look that up)