PS2 with Modbo 5.0 doesn't play DVD-video and how to test Matrix PIC fix?

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I installed a Modbo 5.0 modchip and the Matrix PIC fix into a SCPH-50004 (GH-023 / v9 board). Before I installed the PIC fix I first tested the Modbo chip. It booted every type of games: PS2 originals & backups and PS1 originals & backups. Audio CD played fine too.

There's only one thing it didn't play: DVD video. If I put in a video DVD the browser detects it as DVD-video, but if booted it gives a black screen. The same DVD does play with the modchip disabled (hold "start" at boot).

I already checked the A, B, G,H, I and Y points of the modchip with a multimeter and they are fine. The BIOS points should be fine too, so far I know it won't show the Matrix logo if those are bad.

How is it possible that the modchip doesn't play DVD video?

Although it didn't play DVD video I proceeded to program a 12C508A and installed it as the Matrix PIC fix. Before connecting the K-wire, I connected pin 4 to ground and the PS2 did turn off automatically after 3 seconds. Then I soldered it to the K point.

This was with pin 4 connected to ground. But how can I test the PIC fix after it's being connected to the K point? Just let it reading a bad disc?

scph_50004_modbo_and_matrix_pic_fix.jpg

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Connect pin 4 of the PIC chip to GND, then power the console on. You will know when the chip is working if it powers off. Then, you can remove pin 4 from GND and solder the pin to point K.

I would highly recommend covering the chip with some electrical or kapton tape to prevent it from shorting out.

Reactions: Fien

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That results in the same black screen as soon as the DVD video should start playing :(
Post automatically merged:

The problem seems to be the specific video DVD I used for testing :unsure: I found other video DVD's in my testing discs and those plays fine with the modchip enabled.

So the problem is not a bad modchip, but the combination of the Modbo 5.0 and the specific video DVD. I don't know why that one only plays with the modchip disabled (so it's not a disc reading issue).

The not-working one is Dutch informative video, a original pressed DVD. The working ones are a original Disney movie and a original Indian movie.

I tried the DVD's in a SCPH-77004 with also a Modbo 5.0 with the same results. So it's the specific video DVD+Modbo 5.0. It wasted a lot of time because I thought it was a bad chip installation :(

Connect pin 4 of the PIC chip to GND, then power the console on. You will know when the chip is working if it powers off. Then, you can remove pin 4 from GND and solder the pin to point K.

I would highly recommend covering the chip with some electrical or kapton tape to prevent it from shorting out.
I've done that and it turned off so the PIC is working. But I mean, it's not possible to test it after the K point is connected?

It's covered with tape after I took the picture, before I reassembled it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240215_215438854_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240215_215438854_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Last edited by Fien,

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've done that and it turned off so the PIC is working. But I mean, it's not possible to test it after the K point is connected?
Once its tested, then you can remove the wire from GND to the K point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto