PS1/2 Music of Crash Bandicoot 3 NTSC (version) is slow on PAL PS2 with Modbo chip

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If I play the NTSC version of "Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped" on my PAL PS2 (SCPH-39004) with Modbo 5.0 modchip, the music (and probably the voices too) is slow. I tried to change the "PS2 SCREEN FIX" option in the modchip from color (default) to NTSC and PAL60, but the music is still slow.

This doesn't happen if I play the same disc in another SCPH-39004 which have a older Ripper 2(?) modchip or on a real PS1. So the disc in good, the problem is in the PS2 with Modbo chip.

Is it possible to solve this problem with the NTSC version of this game?
Post automatically merged:

I think not only the music is slow, but the whole game. It feels like the NTSC game is running in 50Hz mode.

It looks like somehow it's the wrong video mode for NTSC games. I tested more NTSC games and it seem like they all run slow. And the image is shifted to the upper part of the screen. The modchip settings don't affect it.

But there's one difference between the games: Crash Bandicoot 3 & Crash Team Racing keep running slow and shifted through the whole game.

Some games I tried like Gran Turismo 2 and Harmful Park start in this "wrong" shifted mode, but right before the FMV it changes the video mode (monitor resync the signal) and then the image is back fullscreen and the game running at normal speed.

And I can "fix" the problem with Crash Bandicoot 3 & Crash Team Racing by booting with the Tonyhax International boot-CD and then load the game. With this boot-CD the games start with the correct video mode.

Then the question will be: why are the NTSC PS1 games started in the wrong (50Hz?) video mode? The "PS2 SCREEN FIX" in the modchip only affect the OSDSYS, not the PS1 games.

Last edited by Fien,

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It works, but the modchip needs to be forced into PS1 mode first (hold "circle" at boot), otherwise PS1VModeNeg says it's a "Unsupported disc".

But why the Modbo 5.0 cannot set the correct video mode for NTSC PS1 games like the older Ripper (2) chip on the other PS2 does?

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It works, but the modchip needs to be forced into PS1 mode first (hold "circle" at boot), otherwise PS1VModeNeg says it's a "Unsupported disc".

But why the Modbo 5.0 cannot set the correct video mode for NTSC PS1 games like the older Ripper (2) chip on the other PS2 does?
The Modbo 5 or Matrix Infinity has an option to apply a PS1 screen fix to patch the video mode.

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The Modbo 5 or Matrix Infinity has an option to apply a PS1 screen fix to patch the video mode.
That option is already turned on by default. And I also have tried turning it off, it has no effect.

I tried a PS2 Slim (SCPH-77004) which also has a Modbo 5.0 and it has the same problem with PS1 NTSC games like this SCPH-39004.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That option is already turned on by default. And I also have tried turning it off, it has no effect.

I tried a PS2 Slim (SCPH-77004) which also has a Modbo 5.0 and it has the same problem with PS1 NTSC games like this SCPH-39004.
You tried setting the screen fix to a different mode or used a different TV?

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You tried setting the screen fix to a different mode or used a different TV?
The PS1 screen fix option is only "on" or "off", no other choices.

The PS2 screen fix option I already tried to set it to color, PAL60, NTSC and PAL. It only affects the PS2 mode (like the OSDSYS), but does nothing with PS1 mode.

I didn't try another TV because if it was the TV, it won't run on a correct speed if it's booted from the Tonyhax International boot-CD. Also a TV cannot let a game run slower including the sound playing slow.

If I Google on this issue it seem like in the past there are more people with this problem using a Modbo/Matrix chip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1