Out of the PS2 scene for more than a decade, jumping back in

Shady Guy Jose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi! I have an old SCPH-50004 (silver fat PAL) PS2 that currently has an unknown modchip. It was supposed to be a Crystal chip, according to the modder who installed it back in 2005, but its configuration/update discs won't boot, so I can't be certain. I recently got an MX4SIO, since I liked the idea of having a MicroSD card that can be shared between that and a GC2SD for my GameCube, and I'd like to run homebrew and games from it. What's the best way to go about it? Since I have a modchip, I assume I have an easier entrypoint: burn a CD with some sort of loader, which then allows me to launch homebrew/games from the MX4SIO?

Another question: my PS2 launches imported PS1 games forced to PAL (48 black lines at the bottom, squished image, slowed down to 25/50 FPS). Is there any way to override this? I assume it's a modchip configuration issue that I can't fix without opening it up and figuring out what modchip it is, but maybe there's homebrew software that can help?

Thanks in advance

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to override this? I assume it's a modchip configuration issue that I can't fix without opening it up and figuring out what modchip it is, but maybe there's homebrew software that can help?
Not without opening the PS2 up and figuring out exactly what modchip it is.

The Crystal Chip has a boot manager, but you aren't even sure if that's the chip installed.

Shady Guy Jose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

The Crystal Chip has a boot manager, but you aren't even sure if that's the chip installed.
That's precisely why I'm not sure. I burned the boot manager to a CD, as well as update discs, and got a black screen

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's precisely why I'm not sure. I burned the boot manager to a CD, as well as update discs, and got a black screen
Have you tried booting into Recovery Mode?

If you experience a black screen when booting the upgrade disc, please us Recovery Mode to boot the disc.

Every version of CrystalChip has a built-in Recovery Mode which may be enabled at any time to allow you to recover from corrupted firmware. Thanks to an internal checksum, CC will automatically detect corrupted firmware and boot in Recovery Mode. In the event that CC fails to automatically detect corrupted firmware, you may force "Recovery Mode" by pressing reset 3 times on startup.
https://web.archive.org/web/20070626210442/http://crystal-chips.com/main/content/view/18/36/

Shady Guy Jose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

After gathering more info, from what does work on my PS2 (holding the power button for a bit longer to play PS1 or DVD-Video backups), it seems that my modchip is a "Messiah 2". I can't find any information regarding PS1 video modes for this one. Does anyone know whether I can force my PAL PS2 with this chip to get an NTSC signal from American/Japanese PS1 games, somehow?

EDIT: I'm going to have to open it up. This chip can do what I want, but there's an optional hardware fix to force NTSC/PAL. Apparently, the modder who originally installed it used that optional fix, probably since most TVs here in Europe 20 years ago did not play nice with NTSC signals (the one I have the PS2 hooked up to still doesn't, in fact, but I'm using RGB SCART).

So, the only question that remains is the homebrew entry point. How should I go about running homebrew/games from an SD card in an MX4SIO? Is there a homebrew loader I can burn into a CD that can then access the device?

Last edited by Shady Guy Jose,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Another question: my PS2 launches imported PS1 games forced to PAL (48 black lines at the bottom, squished image, slowed down to 25/50 FPS). Is there any way to override this? I assume it's a modchip configuration issue that I can't fix without opening it up and figuring out what modchip it is, but maybe there's homebrew software that can help?

You should be able to use the PS1VModeNeg v1.01 homebrew to force your PAL PS2 into NTSC mode for PS1 - it's what I use to correct the output of NTSC PS1 titles on my PAL PS2 using the TonyHax method to play PS1 games.

Shady Guy Jose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You should be able to use the PS1VModeNeg v1.01 homebrew to force your PAL PS2 into NTSC mode for PS1 - it's what I use to correct the output of NTSC PS1 titles on my PAL PS2 using the TonyHax method to play PS1 games.
Nice! I'll have to see if it overrides the hardmod, though. I have a boot disc that supposedly allows me to force PS1 video modes, but it hasn't worked for me

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but its configuration/update discs won't boot,
You tried holding certain buttons on boot to access its config menu, like with the Matrix chips? Unless it's really old and doesn't have one..
I recently got an MX4SIO, since I liked the idea of having a MicroSD card that can be shared between that and a GC2SD for my GameCube,
I wouldn't recommend that at all, sd & micro sd cards are very cheap these days you could get a 64gb from known brands under $7 (or much less). But you do you.
and I'd like to run homebrew and games from it.
Hmm.. Im not sure if you can use it to access homebrew apps, since it's main function is to store & play ps2 isos with it, unless you're sure about that, otherwise you'll need another usb flash drive for storing your homebrew apps.
What's the best way to go about it? Since I have a modchip, I assume I have an easier entrypoint: burn a CD with some sort of loader, which then allows me to launch homebrew/games from the MX4SIO?
First you need to install Freemcboot in a ps2 memory card, there are ones that have Freemcboot installed are sold on places like Aliexpress etc. So either follow a tutorial on how to install it yourself or get an mc that already has.
You need freemcboot in order to access OPL, that's the PS2 game loader, as for which version to go for i think the latest version should work. Here's a guide on how to set up opl.
You sure ntsc games run slow on your tv, excluding the black borders? Since you have scart you should have no issues running ntsc games, and your tv should support the ntsc signal since it has a scart input.
Once you set up freemcboot & opl, you could try launching some ps1 games through the popsloader emulator (with opl) and see if they display as they should or not (excluding the black borders).
Post automatically merged:

Also fwiw, since you have a fat i highly recommend getting an sata hdd adapter with a sata hdd (or ssd if you want), there ones like the Gamestar adapter (also on AliExpress) though they don't have the ethernet port (useful for transferring games & playing online with Xlink Kai). Or an OEM network adapter with an ide to sata adapter, the advantage is that it has the ethernet port and maybe more stability. The reason im recommending using an hdd is, not only you'll have more storage space (cost effective too) but the performance & game compatibility is literally the best in comparison to all the other methods of running game backups on the ps2.

Last edited by CoolMe,

Shady Guy Jose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You tried holding certain buttons on boot to access its config menu, like with the Matrix chips? Unless it's really old and doesn't have one..
Yes. The only button combination that worked was the PS1 mode switch for Messiah 2 chips, so I'm going to assume that's what I have.
I wouldn't recommend that at all, sd & micro sd cards are very cheap these days you could get a 64gb from known brands under $7 (or much less). But you do you.
Sure, if I can get this to work properly and I'm satisfied with the result, I might order another microSD card instead of sharing my GC2SD one.
Hmm.. Im not sure if you can use it to access homebrew apps, since it's main function is to store & play ps2 isos with it, unless you're sure about that, otherwise you'll need another usb flash drive for storing your homebrew apps.
I'm still trying to figure out how it all works. I bought it on a whim from a local store whose employees didn't exactly know a lot about it, and online information seems scarce (or I just don't know where to look).
First you need to install Freemcboot in a ps2 memory card, there are ones that have Freemcboot installed are sold on places like Aliexpress etc. So either follow a tutorial on how to install it yourself or get an mc that already has.
You need freemcboot in order to access OPL, that's the PS2 game loader, as for which version to go for i think the latest version should work. Here's a guide on how to set up opl.
Are you absolutely positive I need FreeMCBoot? My PS2 is modded, so I assumed I could burn a CD/DVD with, say, wLaunchELF and use it to launch other homebrew apps (such as OPL) from the MX4SIO.
You sure ntsc games run slow on your tv, excluding the black borders? Since you have scart you should have no issues running ntsc games, and your tv should support the ntsc signal since it has a scart input.
I'm absolutely positive. I get 48 black lines at the bottom to compensate for the 240p→288p difference and games are slowed down, including the background music. The TV is entirely unrelated, since this is the signal that's coming out of the PS2. However, I do know what my TV supports: both 576i50 and 480i60 Hz modes, but only PAL color encoding. NTSC sources have to come through an RGB SCART cable, or else they display in grayscale (maybe SECAM too, but I haven't tested any of those).
Once you set up freemcboot & opl, you could try launching some ps1 games through the popsloader emulator (with opl) and see if they display as they should or not (excluding the black borders).
Assuming POPStarter is a PS1 emulator that runs in PS2 mode, that should run fine, since NTSC PS2 software runs just fine (assuming I'm using RGB SCART or a newer TV, or else I get grayscale, as I said above).
Also fwiw, since you have a fat i highly recommend getting an sata hdd adapter with a sata hdd (or ssd if you want), there ones like the Gamestar adapter (also on AliExpress) though they don't have the ethernet port (useful for transferring games & playing online with Xlink Kai). Or an OEM network adapter with an ide to sata adapter, the advantage is that it has the ethernet port and maybe more stability. The reason im recommending using an hdd is, not only you'll have more storage space (cost effective too) but the performance & game compatibility is literally the best in comparison to all the other methods of running game backups on the ps2.
Oh, sure, I just wanted to get the MX4SIO working with my current setup because that would mean I wouldn't have to buy anything else. If I really can't get it working, I'll just buy a SATA HDD adapter or simply keep using discs as I always have. It's not like there are a lot of PS2 games I'm still planning on playing, unless later on I discover something I missed.

Thank you for your long reply

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you absolutely positive I need FreeMCBoot? My PS2 is modded, so I assumed I could burn a CD/DVD with, say, wLaunchELF and use it to launch other homebrew apps (such as OPL) from the MX4SIO.
Hmm.. Do you want to do that every boot (if that works even)? You try that and see if it works. The reason why you need an mc with freemcboot installed is, the PS2 can't & doesn't know how to access/ communicate with the mx4sio, the sd card inside it or the homebrew files there without freemcboot. With the freemcboot mc you can access opl, uLaunchElf etc. On boot without having to rely on/ use discs on every boot, again if it even works in this use case with the mx4sio..
Assuming POPStarter is a PS1 emulator that runs in PS2 mode, that should run fine, since NTSC PS2 software runs just fine
Yes it is an emulator, and it won't be using the ps1 hardware that's inside the PS2, so if this issue affects/ appears only when using ps1 discs then yes.
Oh, sure, I just wanted to get the MX4SIO working with my current setup because that would mean I wouldn't have to buy anything else. If I really can't get it working,
No, it should work fine. I just wanted to spread the word about hdd, many don't know or haven't heard about these things..
Thank you for your long reply
No problem.

Shady Guy Jose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hmm.. Do you want to do that every boot (if that works even)? You try that and see if it works. The reason why you need an mc with freemcboot installed is, the PS2 can't & doesn't know how to access/ communicate with the mx4sio, the sd card inside it or the homebrew files there without freemcboot. With the freemcboot mc you can access opl, uLaunchElf etc. On boot without having to rely on/ use discs on every boot, again if it even works in this use case with the mx4sio..
Yeah, that was the idea: leave the boot DVD in there and always boot to a utility that would let me launch other homebrew from the SD card (including OPL for games, of course, but also the PS1VModeNeg utility that was mentioned earlier, for example). If there's a version of wLaunchELF or a similar utility that can interface with an SD card inside an MX4SIO, it should technically work.

Shady Guy Jose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You can access mx4sio's sd card content with ULaunchElf, if that's what you're asking?
Exactly. Browse the card and run ELF files from there (ELF and ISO would be ideal, like, say, Swiss on the GameCube, which loads ISO and DOL directly, but I can live with having to launch an ISO loader such as OPL first).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto