Gaming ****Wii Firmware 3.0U****

ucsdgemini

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updatd my Wii with Wiikey installed. Nothing happened. Everything worked. I have a PAL one.

Same here.
Only thing happend was that inet (wifi) was not working after update, needed to readd him.
Getting error when first starting shop channel again, everything after that worked fine
Unable to load news channel (had then after wiikey was installed) but now it does show 1 news line when in main channel but still unable to enter it (ERROR: NEWS000006)
Games working perfect, backups also, faster loading time and menu switch but still that news error
tongue.gif

:update:
That notice window i only get when i wanna do another update check so that's why some didn't noticed it i think

I'm getting that error on the news channel as well. I have a US NTSC Wii and a Wiikey. Has anyone figured out if this error is related to the update or our mod chips? I'd be curious to know if a console without a mod chip installed can access the news channel without problem since the update. Everything else works fine for me. I can access all the other channels, play backups, etc. It's just the news channel that craps out.

I have the same issue with the news!

jr9770

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updatd my Wii with Wiikey installed. Nothing happened. Everything worked. I have a PAL one.

Same here.
Only thing happend was that inet (wifi) was not working after update, needed to readd him.
Getting error when first starting shop channel again, everything after that worked fine
Unable to load news channel (had then after wiikey was installed) but now it does show 1 news line when in main channel but still unable to enter it (ERROR: NEWS000006)
Games working perfect, backups also, faster loading time and menu switch but still that news error
tongue.gif

:update:
That notice window i only get when i wanna do another update check so that's why some didn't noticed it i think

I'm getting that error on the news channel as well. I have a US NTSC Wii and a Wiikey. Has anyone figured out if this error is related to the update or our mod chips? I'd be curious to know if a console without a mod chip installed can access the news channel without problem since the update. Everything else works fine for me. I can access all the other channels, play backups, etc. It's just the news channel that craps out.

I have the same issue with the news!

Have you tried it again today? I didn't do anything to my system to fix this, but tonight when I got home from work I launched the news channel and I got into it without any errors. Something must have changed on Nintendo's end because it's working fine for me now.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
how do you know what Nintendo is capable of producing?
How do you know what God is capable of? People have said that God created the universe at once, others said he took a week, or something. If you know what God is capable of, you know what Nintendo is. And vice versa. The point is, you don't know what they're capable of. And, sorry about how off-topic that may sound, when i read that i had an idea in my head and it sounded good, now typing it like 3 hrs later it sounds bad.
ph34r.gif

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
how do you know what Nintendo is capable of producing?
How do you know what God is capable of? People have said that God created the universe at once, others said he took a week, or something. If you know what God is capable of, you know what Nintendo is. And vice versa. The point is, you don't know what they're capable of. And, sorry about how off-topic that may sound, when i read that i had an idea in my head and it sounded good, now typing it like 3 hrs later it sounds bad.
ph34r.gif

So what you're saying is that Reggie Fils-Aime is God?

Whoah! That's trippy.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's a question to you guys. I just got a Wii and it has the very first firmware I guess. If I make a firmware upgrade, is it going to make it 3.0 right away? Or is it going to make 2.0[or something] then I have to make an other firmware upgrade? I'm going to have a Wiikey installed tomorrow and I have no idea what I should do. Should I do the upgrade after installing the Wiikey ?

kenryuakuma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to know if the Japanese Wii will brick after installing the new firmware of 3.0J. Mine is already semi-bricked. I hope someone could help and confirm.

Da Foxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's a question to you guys. I just got a Wii and it has the very first firmware I guess. If I make a firmware upgrade, is it going to make it 3.0 right away? Or is it going to make 2.0[or something] then I have to make an other firmware upgrade? I'm going to have a Wiikey installed tomorrow and I have no idea what I should do. Should I do the upgrade after installing the Wiikey ?
From what I've heard it will update to the latest firmware meaning you will have 3.0. I dunno about everyone else but, the updating it to 3.0 does'nt seem to be any harm except the configuration discs, action replay, and freeloader not working and Wiikey is working on the problem for solving the problem with the configuration disc. If you don't care about the action replay and freeloader, I would say update to 3.0 and install your modchip, or you can install the modchip and then update. Don't see the difference.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

From what I've heard it will update to the latest firmware meaning you will have 3.0. I dunno about everyone else but, the updating it to 3.0 does'nt seem to be any harm except the configuration discs, action replay, and freeloader not working and Wiikey is working on the problem for solving the problem with the configuration disc. If you don't care about the action replay and freeloader, I would say update to 3.0 and install your modchip, or you can install the modchip and then update. Don't see the difference.
Oh I see. Well I don't have a freeloader anyway and I don't cheat on my games. But just to be sure, I'll wait for tomorrow, have my console modded and then upgrade. Thanks for clearing this up
grog.gif

Da Foxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Oh I see. Well I don't have a freeloader anyway and I don't cheat on my games. But just to be sure, I'll wait for tomorrow, have my console modded and then upgrade. Thanks for clearing this up
grog.gif
Cheers!
grog.gif
Good luck with modding your Wii.

Wizard298

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed the update with no issues but after I installed mu WII KEY and I can't get updates from the news channal.

I get the error NEWS000006

Can someone please tell me what is going on with this????

zonnikku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
does anyone here seriously think that if they are using an illegal modchip that they have any right to sue nintendo when and if it bricks your system.
oh LMFAO
QUOTE said:
from the nintendo site
WARRANTY LIMITATIONS

THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THIS PRODUCT: (a) IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY NINTENDO (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED GAME ENHANCEMENT AND COPIER DEVICES, ADAPTERS, AND POWER SUPPLIES); (b) IS USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (INCLUDING RENTAL); © IS MODIFIED OR TAMPERED WITH; (d) IS DAMAGED BY NEGLIGENCE, ACCIDENT, UNREASONABLE USE, OR BY OTHER CAUSES UNRELATED TO DEFECTIVE MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP; OR (e) HAS HAD THE SERIAL NUMBER ALTERED, DEFACED OR REMOVED.
not one of you who bricks your system has a leg to stand on. i think that having a modchip comes under 2 if not 3 parts of your warranties.
you opened it up or paid to have it opened up and you are on your own, you all knew that. nintendo were just going above and beyond the call of duty by informing you that should you upgrade your system it MAY be bricked by doing so. they have the right to protect their software from being copied and used by people using modchips so don't go getting all high and mighty about this. you knew what you were getting into.
wink.gif

Reading that Kotaku article, someone mentioned modchips being LEGAL in Australia and it being legal to sue if your console were to be bricked.

Someone even said a person with a chipped system in AU won against Sony, and is why they made the PS3 region-free.

But I don't live in Australia, so that's a moot point.

Still, I'm more upset about the update not allowing freeloaders to work anymore. I don't really want to chip my wii, until MUCH better chips come out so I'm using a freeloader to play my Japanese GC games, and learning that freeloaders don't work anymore has made me not want to update at all until I get a modchip and know it'll work.

EnigmaticMystery

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone considered that this could just be a disclaimer after what happened with Super Paper Mario?

And I agree with earlier posts, the last thing wants is to break their good publicity streak, and mass bricking would definitely do that.

But then again, Nintendo really goes far to block pirates. They were willing to make the GameCube and Nintendo64 use crazy/outdated media just so it was hard to pirate, for example.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Oh I see. Well I don't have a freeloader anyway and I don't cheat on my games. But just to be sure, I'll wait for tomorrow, have my console modded and then upgrade. Thanks for clearing this upÂ
grog.gif

don't forget to turn off your wifi 24 settings before modding or your channels will mess up, i don't know if it's too late to warn you though.

EnigmaticMystery

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I mean Nintendo are only just coming second to Microsoft. They really don't want a bad reputation now.

And is there really legal precedent in Australia? Did someone actually sue Sony for bricking their PS3 and win?

Zonnikku said: "Someone even said a person with a chipped system in AU won against Sony, and is why they made the PS3 region-free."

If this is the case, they wouldn't do it in Australia.

But I think all the chippers in the US are definitely screwed, as Nintendo will just spin it as an anti-crime thing.

redsrule2500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean Nintendo are only just coming second to Microsoft. They really don't want a bad reputation now.

And is there really legal precedent in Australia? Did someone actually sue Sony for bricking their PS3 and win?

Zonnikku said: "Someone even said a person with a chipped system in AU won against Sony, and is why they made the PS3 region-free."

If this is the case, they wouldn't do it in Australia.

But I think all the chippers in the US are definitely screwed, as Nintendo will just spin it as an anti-crime thing.

This isn't even close to being remotely true. Nintendo can do whatever they please to - it's against the terms of service to modfiy your Wii. Now, if you break those, everything is "At Your Own Risk". Nintendo doesn't have to do anything to make sure modchips work with the Wii, and yes they can brick systems in ANY country, and they can't be sued for it. USA/Euro/Australia - anywhere, it doesn't matter. It's completely rediculous and uneducated to claim otherwise. And to say that if they fried the modchip is illegal, that's not even close to being true. You put the modchip in there, nintendo says not to, and you did it. That's like saying "I put my goldfish inside the Wii, and it didn't survive! I'm suing Nintendo because the Wii ruined my product!"

It's just completely ludcaris that some of you actually believe the whole "Sue Nintendo" thing actually has a leg to stand on.
wacko.gif
Now, it may be a bad idea for them to do this just because of public opinion, but there isn't anything legally binding them to NOT bricking.
lecture.gif

EnigmaticMystery

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I never said that Nintendo was legally obliged to make sure that their updates would work with every modchip.

I said that deliberate bricking would be shady legally as the wii chip is a legal product. The goldfish is a legal product too, but a goldfish isn't designed for the Wii.

Also, mass bricking would not be a good PR move. E.g. "Nintendo - family friendly gaming and mass bricking on people who aren't breaking the law". It's even worse than "Jump in".

Also, if we examine Australian law it says that chipping is legal as long as:
1. The device being modded is not region-free.
2. The mod makes the device region-free.

Is it just me, or is that law not neutral but in fact pro-modding?

Edit: And breaking the terms of service doesn't mean they can break your product. Say, if I use a car's engine to cook food, it doesn't give the car maker the right to come round and smash my car. It jsut means it's not their fault if my engine explodes or similar.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh I see. Well I don't have a freeloader anyway and I don't cheat on my games. But just to be sure, I'll wait for tomorrow, have my console modded and then upgrade. Thanks for clearing this upÂ
grog.gif

don't forget to turn off your wifi 24 settings before modding or your channels will mess up, i don't know if it's too late to warn you though.

Wait, I've never heard this ... turn off WiiConnect24 and the channel errors these people are seeing go away? Why?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think