Gaming Wii Data on SD card to Wii U problem: Not the prepared SD card

Briadark

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Contact Nintendo they must be able to fix it! When I had trouble with my 3DS they returned the data and I got a free game. (I came with a freezing one and they replaced it with a 3DS with a broken card slot (Loads games. In the game first button touch: Freeze. Then all my data was lost! Waited 2 hours and they got my data back and I got a free game for waiting and a free replacement system!

Briadark

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When you restart the transfer I guaranteeing it will reduce you're chance of getting you're data back because the data on you're Wii is removed during the first transfer and if you restart the transfer nothing will be moved and you can't do a transfer anymore (1 transfer a system).

Good luck,
Briadark

VGYT02

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@JordenNixNix

I misread that at first. I tried the preparation of the sd card on the wii u again.... without success.. but this might work, I'll try it!

solitarymonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is gonna sound crazy, but this happened to me. I thought i was boned. Turn on your Wii. This allows to Wii tobconnect to the internet and show that all the files are off of it. With both systems on, the Wii U will read the SD card.

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
If you still have the files, you might be able to restore them all to your Wii with homebrew and try again.. Perhaps both systems need to be on as solitarymonk said as well..

VGYT02

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you still have the files, you might be able to restore them all to your Wii with homebrew and try again.. Perhaps both systems need to be on as solitarymonk said as well..
What homebrew?

This is gonna sound crazy, but this happened to me. I thought i was boned. Turn on your Wii. This allows to Wii tobconnect to the internet and show that all the files are off of it. With both systems on, the Wii U will read the SD card.
So you're saying, the files that are on my sd card, which are the transfer files from my wii, will be read on my wii U if I also put on my normal wii?

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I think I read that both systems have to be on at the same time during a transfer..
It might be about maintaining an internet connection on both systems so Nintendo can recognize the transfer.

I don't know what the files look like on the SD card, but generally speaking, copying data through the data channel on the Wii to an SD card makes a 'content.bin'.
After retrieving the keys from your Wii you can modify and read these contents.

The files on the Wii's NAND are a collection of 'app' files. You mentioned that the contents on the SD card from the transfer is /app/xxxx/data/content1.bin, content2.bin, etc.. these may be the app files encrypted in a way - the same app files on the NAND which are put together into one 'content.bin' when copying from the Wii to SD.

Providing the files can be read with keys from your Wii in a similar manner, it may be possible to put those files back onto your Wii with the help of a NAND homebrew (like putting files into a BootMii dump and restoring the modified dump), or perhaps even getting the files in a readable way and putting them into WADs to install with a WAD manager..

VGYT02

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think I read that both systems have to be on at the same time during a transfer..
It might be about maintaining an internet connection on both systems so Nintendo can recognize the transfer.

I don't know what the files look like on the SD card, but generally speaking, copying data through the data channel on the Wii to an SD card makes a 'content.bin'.
After retrieving the keys from your Wii you can modify and read these contents.

The files on the Wii's NAND are a collection of 'app' files. You mentioned that the contents on the SD card from the transfer is /app/xxxx/data/content1.bin, content2.bin, etc.. these may be the app files encrypted in a way - the same app files on the NAND which are put together into one 'content.bin' when copying from the Wii to SD.

Providing the files can be read with keys from your Wii in a similar manner, it may be possible to put those files back onto your Wii with the help of a NAND homebrew (like putting files into a BootMii dump and restoring the modified dump), or perhaps even getting the files in a readable way and putting them into WADs to install with a WAD manager..

Ok, what do I need, what steps?

If you can help me with this, and with success, I will be gratefull to you!! FOR EVER! :P

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
For the transfer:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_system_transfer.jsp

It gives instructions. It insists that both systems are connected to the same TV and both be connected to the internet. I believe both systems must be on.
Try follow the instructions again based on this webpage.

Since you have the steps of having the SD card dump already, with both systems connected and on, try running the system transfer channel again on both and seeing if you can somehow get it to work / resume.. I believe both have to be on so Nintendo can update both systems through the internet to reflect the transfer.
It also says both systems must have the same country setting :)

In the worst case, try send an e-mail to Nintendo to detail your current situation, where you have the data from the Wii transfer on the SD Card and it is not letting you transfer it to the Wii U. Perhaps they can give you good details on how to proceed at this point.

For the homebrew:
There is a save modification software that was made quite early on.
FE100-1.2b_fix

It gets you to dump all the keys from your Wii with a homebrew, at which point you can put them into the program and be able to modify saves and save them appropriately.
I would suggest getting the all the keys from your Wii (xyzzy homebrew).

At that point, I'm afraid I wouldn't know what to do..
I would suggest sending a message to someone on the wiibrew forum, or someone around team twiizers (maybe IRC) to tell them about your half-way transferred setup, and that you have your keys. They may be able to help you to take your files and transform them with your keys to a state that is restore-able..

I believe in the same fashion that having your keys can help to decrypt/encrypt savegames with the right tool (FE100), I would believe that having your keys can help to decrypt/encrypt your specific transfer files too. I wouldn't know what to do once you get your keys, but I'm sure they will help. You would have to ask wiibrew/team twiizers if they can assist in converting your files to a restore-able form..

If you made a bootmii nand backup before you started I would suggest trying to restore it to your Wii.

PicoNint

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to bump this thread, guys. But I need help.

I'm getting the error VGYT02 had: My Wii exported and deleted all my saves, and when I place the SD card on the Wii U, it says "This SD card is not the one prepared in this console"

Do you know if it is possible to recover those "Content00.bin" files back into save games format? Even if I have to use a Homebrew app. I'm desperate... :(

PicoNint

Trophies
XP
Country
You should have done a BootMii NAND backup before doing the system transfer.

Yes, I realize that now... :P

Oh, well. At least my Wii Shop purchases carried over!
I guess I'll try to find save files for my games online. Besides WiiSave.com, does anybody know of other websites that host save games? Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.