Hacking Wii backup Manager for Windows

m3xic4ndiy3i

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
thanx for this useful app!.....in the last Version 0.3.4r4 , after use on m portable HD (working fine a few minutes before)......USB Loder GX, boots fine , but without any game on screen!.........the reason was:
in the settings ,FAT32 / NTFS , by default comes : Title [GameID]..... in this way USB Loader GX can´t see any game inside of HD..........the working option for USB loader GX is: GameID_Title.

thanx again for ur time on this app!

Wiiwu

Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I think WBM slower than wbfs_file.exe transfers tends to be more visible on slower pc like my netbook.

A quick trace of file ops between WBM and wbfs_file also revealed differences in their file access pattern.

With wbfs_file, its a pretty consistent 32k read/write pattern from start to end.

WBM's look really odd, maybe due to compiler opt? It starts off with 32k r/w but will switch back and fore with 64k, 2M access and weirdest part is it will often read/write 2M from a offset but then goes back to the same offset and repeat the read/write this time in 64K chunk again.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
is one better than the other?? probably makes no difference, correct?
Mine is correct, but it makes no difference with the loaders. If you load the ISO in WiiScrubber or something, all the partitions will appear to be still there, but the data isn't. If anything ever tried to use those partitions then you'd get a read error on the Wii. I'm not sure how the partitions are normally used though so really it's not a big deal..

WBM's look really odd, maybe due to compiler opt? It starts off with 32k r/w but will switch back and fore with 64k, 2M access and weirdest part is it will often read/write 2M from a offset but then goes back to the same offset and repeat the read/write this time in 64K chunk again.

That was supposed to be a little optimisation ( I thought
smile.gif
) which helped reduce CPU usage without affecting the speed. Basically, if the full WBFS block is used, then it reads/writes the 2 meg block (for wbfs files), if not, then it reads/writes all the the 32k Wii sectors that are actually used in the block.

I'll send a test version to see if that is the cause.

I'm using CreateFile(), ReadFile() etc. where wbfs_file is using fopen(), fread().. The second part of your comment might because by those functions. Using ReadFile(), the read size must be sector aligned if it's unbuffered. Maybe buffered reads still need to sector aligned, but it happens behind the scenes. Some stuff to look into anyway.

What did you use to analyse the file access? Sounds handy..

Wiiwu

Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I love your tool don't forget I'm one of your earliest fan
yay.gif
, just hoping to squeeze some more juice from the old netbook.

and procmon from sysinternals is also a fab tool to checkout.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
When I added the "buffered transfers" option, I originally changed everything to use it. Then I decided that it was kinda pointless having unbuffered reads, so changed some of it back..

Anyway, I noticed that ISOs are opened in read/write mode because of copy n paste again.. Is it possible that some of the ISOs are read only, or the permissions are read only for some of them?

Things like ISO,CISO, WBFS Files should always be opened as read only, except when they're getting created/written. I need to fix that, even if that isn't the problem here.

Edit: I double checked.. Read only ISO files will cause the error you have. The changes I've made will fix it.

Edit2:
@sp00ky
There's 2 or 3 features I still want to re-implement before the covers. It keeps getting put on the back burner because there's loads of little things to do.
wtf.gif

Some features I still want.

1. Inline editing for the Titles, ID etc.
2. Save game lists to file using the templates.
3. Translations. I decided it's probably better to do this before the covers/info stuff too. It'll be a massive job otherwise. Better to do half the work twice..
smile.gif

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
The simple text file template I used before would output the info something like below, but the templates can be edited. I haven't implemented it yet, but soon. It's next on the list once I fix this silly bug with the inline editing and inbetween fixing the other little things.
smile.gif

Title: Billy the Wizard
GameID: RBZXUG
Region: Region free
Size: 86 MB

Title: Candace Kane's Candy Factory
GameID: RKQENR
Region: NTSC
Size: 78 MB

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
There's a little bug in the Wii disc partition code that we discussed recently. I noticed a report here and confirmed it by transferring SSBB keeping all partitions.

I've fixed it, so I can release another revision if it's needed by anyone.. Note that the error only happens when remapping partitions from table 2 to table 1, so really it only affects SSBB when keeping all partitions or removing the update. Transferring it using "Game only" works fine.

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
fig2k4 said:
There's a little bug in the Wii disc partition code that we discussed recently. I noticed a report here and confirmed it by transferring SSBB keeping all partitions.

I've fixed it, so I can release another revision if it's needed by anyone.. Note that the error only happens when remapping partitions from table 2 to table 1, so really it only affects SSBB when keeping all partitions or removing the update. Transferring it using "Game only" works fine.

I need it. Obviously.
happy.gif

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
It wasn't really obvious, since you said you transferred it using "Game only".
smile.gif

Version 0.3.4r5
Changed: Reverted WBFS AddDisc() routine to the way it was previous to 0.3.4
Changed: ISO, CISO and WBFS files are opened as read only.
Fixed: Bug in the fix partition function that didn't quite work when remapping all the partitions in SSBB. That game showed an FST error when not using "Game only".

2lux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hi on last version 0.3.4r4 when i select drive and custom folder ... no game found but on the files if I choose this folder the game has been correctly found ...

sorry for my bad english im french.

and its possible to add autoupdate ???

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for fixing it fig2k4, it doesn't freeze anymore. But some games don't come up in the Manager or when it finishes, there is no iso. But I think that has to do with my DVD Drive is all as it rips some games but not all of them.

Wiiwu

Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
fig2k4, thanks for the WiiBackupManager-034-Test version.

Sticking to 32k transfers really speed it up
gbasp.gif

now both WBM and wbfs_file transfers in about the same time and cpu utilization is around a reasonable 30%.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying