Wii Backup Manager mismatched hashes

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm using the current Wii Backup Manager to make transferring backups to this new HDD more convenient, and I'm transferring games that are just the game partition so they're under the 4GB limit and don't need to be split for the FAT32 filesystem. Out of curiosity, I've compared the MD5 hashes between the two, and they're totally different, despite the filesize being exactly the same number of bytes. Is this a cause for concern? Is this normal? The GameCube Backup Manager didn't do this when I checked those games.

I didn't have full scrubbing mode enabled, and I did have it set to calculate MD5 hashes during transfer. I don't have permanent changes to Wii disc header or changes to WBFS disc header allowed, either. Looking through the settings, I don't see any reason for it to do anything but directly copy the file over without alterations. I'm wondering if this is a bug, or if it's intended behavior, what exactly is the cause of this? And, would it be better to delete the mismatched files and copy them over manually, or is it probably fine?

EDIT: Oh duh, silly me, it completely slipped my mind that renaming a file affects its hash. That was foolish. Never mind then, it's all good!

EDIT: No, it doesn't affect the hash to rename it.

Last edited by leejaclane,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So, I'm using the current Wii Backup Manager to make transferring backups to this new HDD more convenient, and I'm transferring games that are just the game partition so they're under the 4GB limit and don't need to be split for the FAT32 filesystem. Out of curiosity, I've compared the MD5 hashes between the two, and they're totally different, despite the filesize being exactly the same number of bytes. Is this a cause for concern? Is this normal? The GameCube Backup Manager didn't do this when I checked those games.

I didn't have full scrubbing mode enabled, and I did have it set to calculate MD5 hashes during transfer. I don't have permanent changes to Wii disc header or changes to WBFS disc header allowed, either. Looking through the settings, I don't see any reason for it to do anything but directly copy the file over without alterations. I'm wondering if this is a bug, or if it's intended behavior, what exactly is the cause of this? And, would it be better to delete the mismatched files and copy them over manually, or is it probably fine?

EDIT: Oh duh, silly me, it completely slipped my mind that renaming a file affects its hash. That was foolish. Never mind then, it's all good!

EDIT: No, it doesn't affect the hash to rename it.
Hold on, something's not matching here.

You transferred NGC games using WiiBackupManager? Isn't GamecubeBackupManager also able to do it for you, or you didn't liked it?

And no, modifying the filename doesn't affect the file's hash. The only thing that "affects it" is when you modify its contents.

Reactions: impeeza

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold on, something's not matching here.

You transferred NGC games using WiiBackupManager? Isn't GamecubeBackupManager also able to do it for you, or you didn't liked it?
No, you misread the post, read it again -- carefully this time. I specifically said that Wii Backup Manager was changing the MD5 hashes of games, and GameCube Backup Manager wasn't. Nowhere did I say GameCube games were being transferred using Wii Backup Manager, which as far as I'm aware is impossible and would negate the reason GCBM was developed in the first place since it came after WBM.

I was simply making the comparison between the two applications, transferring their own respective games.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No, you misread the post, read it again -- carefully this time. I specifically said that Wii Backup Manager was changing the MD5 hashes of games, and GameCube Backup Manager wasn't. Nowhere did I say GameCube games were being transferred using Wii Backup Manager, which as far as I'm aware is impossible and would negate the reason GCBM was developed in the first place since it came after WBM.

I was simply making the comparison between the two applications, transferring their own respective games.
Quoting you (but anyway I don't want to start an argument):
So, I'm using the current Wii Backup Manager to make transferring backups to this new HDD more convenient, and I'm transferring games that are just the game partition so they're under the 4GB limit and don't need to be split for the FAT32 filesystem. [...] The GameCube Backup Manager didn't do this when I checked those games.

[...]
So? Have a nice day.

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quoting you (but anyway I don't want to start an argument):

So? Have a nice day.
As I told you before, I never said Wii games, I said "those games." As in, not "these" games. As in, "those games I transferred with GameCube Backup Manager," which does not transfer Wii games any more than Wii Backup Manager transfers GameCube games. There's not an argument to be started, you misunderstood and that's all there is to it, I'm not sure why pointing it out offends you. It's not like I said you were a dumb motherfucker, is it?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am not insulting you, I am not calling you an idiot or anything else like that. I am simply saying you misunderstood, made a mistake, which is a human thing everyone does, myself obviously included. No one is above it.

Last edited by leejaclane,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto