Hacking Wii Backup decrypting

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Suspicious. As far as I know there's neither any Wii ISO publically available nor has anyone publically released info on how to dump them. That programm is most likely bogus in the best, a trojan horse in the worst case.

JesterDev

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Ive looked over the source code, and ran the program on my goat box and so far no problems. I also scanned it with Norton, PrevX, and AVG. I have not yet compiled the source to see if the exe matches yet.

However it is a GPL app whatever it is.

Also - although I don't think it's related - I got red steel to stop spinning long enough for me to transfer to that drive. But still can't read it of course.

C:\Goat_Testing\unsc04>e:
The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Other than that.. It does not seem to accept any args whatsoever save for -r e: which just reports that it can't read -r

Gonna have to look at the source again..

Edit: Didn't see the ISO deal there.. my bad.

bunsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you even read the blog? There's loads of neat utilities. Is it such a stretch of imagination that such a person would be able to dump their own wii disc?

As for the virus/trojan part, the source is included. Read it yourself.

e: meh, supposed to be in response to enarky.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Honestly, I haven't downloaded that tool, so I didn't see that sources are included. Whole different story, then. It's just... I have no idea, who's behind that site, it comes a little bit out of nowhere for me. No offence to GBATemp, but seeing something like that here first is new to me.

Rocco Savadgie

Trophies
XP
Country
After reading the article, this tool is for both GC and Wii isos. Perhaps they do not have any Wii isos and have only tested it GC ones for now.

isamux

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah this news does come out of nowhere but I read this site every day for news and info and little tid bits. I saw this news on another site and thought great, someone has to have commented on it here... but no, not a peep on it, so I thought I would share.

Now it does say both GC and Wii, and it does mention RAW dumps made under linux, which to my mind make sense. A GC or Wii disc is just a different layout than a standard DVD. Also on the other site was mention from an .NFO from a PS3 dump, this very tasty bit "sPECIAL nOTE: Wii or not to Wii ;-) Only Wii know it! " the release group is Paradox which is a well respected group.

Now with the PS3 dumps, you need a RAW dump from linux which is installed on the PS3, Soooo they probably have something up their sleeves.

Not that they are playable but at least it appears that Wii discs are dumpable and now decryptable.

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
QUOTE said:
Also on the other site was mention from an .NFO from a PS3 dump, this very tasty bit "sPECIAL nOTE: Wii or not to Wii ;-) Only Wii know it! " the release group is Paradox which is a well respected group.

Can you please tell the website where you heard that from or at least the release with that nfo?

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
These guys are an X-Box hacking group They originally claimed they were going to release a modified firmware for the Hitachi 8164b that would dump Wii discs but no further mention of that has been made by them.

And I can confirm Paradox is up to something.
wink.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
couldn't find this comment in PS3 .nfo from 4 paradox releases.

for the Wii, There is another forum where Xt5 posted, someone else is trying to understand the layout.
http://www.dextrose.com/_forum/showthread.php?p=66963

Maybe we could keep often a look a it to see if there is any news.
the last message is from today.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER