tongue.gif

gitkua

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Isn't it possible that the in store demo pods have different serial numbers than retail Wii's and the game just checks if the Wii is a demo pod?

bluebright

Trophies
Website
www.portablespacemuseum.com
XP
Country
Yeah, this has to be one of those demo discs...yeah, I like that theory.

3 weeks before release, and it was announced in that last demo thread that ended up being a fake. Someone said the demo would be properly dumped by a scene, and this would be it.

Anywho, demo or not, someone will crack it.

gitkua

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
POTACO > I know, that was not what I was saying... I ment, maybe this disc (which is obviously ment for in store demo-pods) checks the Wii's internal serial number, checking if it's a demo-pod or not... If it's not, it makes the game inoperable. Seems like a logical explanation to me.

dreassica

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
POTACO > I know, that was not what I was saying... I ment, maybe this disc (which is obviously ment for in store demo-pods) checks the Wii's internal serial number, checking if it's a demo-pod or not... If it's not, it makes the game inoperable. Seems like a logical explanation to me.

Again, original discs worked fine on peoples modded systems at home, so that theory doesn't fly.

vgambit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how in this thread, everyone is ignoring what all the other people who had the game early said.

1. The original works on modded consoles
2. It is the full game
3. The backup gets to the Super Mario Galaxy splash screen (while still in the Wii Menu, before actually executing the game) then gives a black screen + error message once you try to run the game.

Most likely, a new dump will be required. My guess is (as I said in another post), Nintendo implemented a new disc check in the update included with the game. This would explain why the full game works, but the copy does not; there is some data on the disc burned a certain way so that it cannot be copied by simple 1 - 1 burning.

chaseincats

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gitkua: people with the origional can play it on their wii's at home but if they burn it and try to play it we get the error so thats not the problem its the new protection

Aoko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm putting my money on people having to find other ways on how to effectively burn discs. If the original works on modded Wiis, then it means that it has something to do with the way it's copied and burned.

MrMorden

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here is a pic of an original kiosk version running perfectly fine on a regular home console. This rules out it checking for a serial number or a kiosk console.

1787400019_e4bdf8dc94.jpg

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Just to clarify something. There's no way a game can tell it is a backup or not, the only it can do is check if you have a modchip. So, if you buy the game it is likely not to work on modded harware.
Wrong, people have already tested an original disc on their modded Wiis - from what I understand the current chips deactivate when they detect an original disc.

If they included some sort of trickery that meant a chip was the only way certain code would be executed at all (in all other cases it would be invalid), then this can obviously happen. Or it might just be some sort of firmware checksum, who knows?

I'd be interested to see what would happen if the chip was forced to do its usual thing it would do for backups even though an original was inserted...

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
No sarcasm intended... I am seriously loving all this speculation. Exciting times at GBATemp I say! SMG doesn't get released in Oz for about 4 weeks yet! Last place to get it, I believe...

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
TV2007102809521000.JPG

Appeard this, i rebooted and it seams that it "killed" my mod. lol

Wii Sports is fine but some backups have problems to start
"problems to start" as in they won't start at all?
unsure.gif

that's baaaad
ph34r.gif

let's hope there'll be a solution soon...I really hope the original copy won't mess around with my Wii...

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
Just to clarify something. There's no way a game can tell it is a backup or not, the only it can do is check if you have a modchip. So, if you buy the game it is likely not to work on modded harware.
how can you clarify that?

PC has had games which test to see if its not orginal media, its call starforce
Mario could run a starforce style software when its at this menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.