Status
Not open for further replies.

Phange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Patch is harmless, I can still play all my old Wii games. I think it's just the standard 3.0U patch.

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Drivechip

There's a very popular myth concerning the current Wii drivechips: many people believe that it's technically impossible for Nintendo to detect them. People who believe this will usually mention reasons like "they don't even modify the Wii or the DVD-Drive-Firmware, so they can't be detected!". The fact that the Wii drivechip makers solicit their products with buzzwords like "Stealth" supports this myth as well.

But fact is: At the latest when you're running a backup disc, ALL the current Wii drivechips can theoretically be detected. In fact, it would be quite easy for Nintendo to do so.

All current Wii drivechips work by connecting to an unused serial debug port of the DVD drive controller (that's that DMS/D2A/D2B thingy you've heard of). This debug port can for example be used to read/write the RAM used by the DVD controller, and that's exactly what the current drivechips do: To make backup discs work, these drivechips must modify the DVD controller RAM in some way. Now what makes the drivechips detectable is that the Wii can read/write that RAM too (in fact even gamecube software can do that - just remember how GCOS can read your DVD drive date/version, or how gamecube homebrew discs can be used to update the drivechip firmware), so it can check for any unusual changes in the DVD controller RAM that can only be caused by a drivechip. Maybe the easiest way of doing so would be to check a special memory location that unlocks the DVD controller memory. About the first thing ALL current drivechips need to do to get backups running is to write the value 0x41 to that memory location. Check the source of dvdtool or any open source modchip you like and you'll see that it's true. Periodically checking that special memory location for that special value would be enough for Nintendo to detect all current drivechips. There would be no way of tricking that mechanism in order to get backups running. And so what ? This IS the value the wii firmware MUST read when an original game is inserted, else it won't play. In my opinion, it isn't a way for nintendo to detect a modchip.

Starting with Wii firmware version 3.0, firmware updates are accompanied with a warning message that the update might "cause inoperability" if the Wii has an "unauthorized technical modification". Chances are this message just appears to warn owners of modded Wiis about the risk of bricking their console when running a different-region game that tries to install a different region firmware update. But with Wii drivechips being out for six months now, the risk that a new firmware update is indeed capable of detecting drivechips is growing and growing; if Nintendo really wants to fight modchips, they should have been able to develop effective strategies by now - the example above shows how easy it would be. And remember, a newly released firmware update that doesn't seem to affect modchips can be deceptive; remember how Microsoft waited for months before they banned owners of modded 360s.

So if you think about updating the Wii firmware to versions >= 3.0, remember that there always remains a chance that they are not really mod-safe.

http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Drivechip

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
http://media.putfile.com/Mario-Galaxy-Backup-on-d2ckey

Yeah we know. You're late. That's so 5 pages ago...
lol

anyway why is it that it only works on a d2ckey chip and not the others?
I explained it a LOOOOT of posts ago
smile.gif
It uses a new copy-protection bypass technique (this time it's hardware, not software), that Nintendo still doesn't know about
smile.gif

Zhark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Let's give it time

I for one won't try updates without knowing it won't brick my modded wii. There is plenty of games to try in the meantime. The crysis demo just came out, Hellgate London will be out in a few days, as well as Guitar Hero III. Hell, I haven't even finished bioshock or Zelda PH.
huh.gif

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I guess the Wilip people or whatever it's called need to come up with their D2C adapter soon!
Let's hope so, but I don't really see it possible, seeing how much wires the D2CKey has. It has wires all over the place
unsure.gif

EDIT: I saw the alternative soldering points only, not the official ones
smile.gif
It would be pretty possible to do it
smile.gif

katsuce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France

darkdreamr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok retarded train of thought.

when dumping do you think it matters what chip they had while dumping it?

if it was dumped using a D2C mod mabey it would only be compatable because of a different style of wiring?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ok retarded train of thought.Â

when dumping do you think it matters what chip they had while dumping it?

if it was dumped using a D2C mod mabey it would only be compatable because of a different style of wiring?
No, they probably dumped it using a modified LG drive, like all the other releases.

darkdreamr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol the D2CKEY website is already boasting their accomplishment.

Super Mario Galaxy + D2CKey = True! - 2007-10-29
Various sites are reporting that backups of Super Mario Galaxy are working with D2CKey, but not with any other modchips! We have tested the USA version of SMG and can confirm that it does in fact work on the USA NTSC Wii with D2CKey. The USA version of SMG will not work on other region consoles, but we are confident that other region versions of the game will work on other region consoles. We will post more news about this as soon as we can obtain original game discs from the other regions to test.

modshroom128

Trophies
Website
modshroom128.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's the proof thats its working with d2ckey
http://media.putfile.com/Mario-Galaxy-Backup-on-d2ckey

FAKE!

U CAN C TEH SCREEEN CHANGE DURNINGNG TEHHE MUVIE AT 1:29!!!1!111!1!2!!

I'm currently uploading another video to show you thats its really working... I don't really understand why do you think I could waste my time making a fake video of a backup working... I would need another wii + the original Mario Galaxy... and it would be pointless!
hahaha i was jokin

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
But D2CKey does not work with DMS, D2A, and D2B chipsets!!! Instead of leaving the D2C guys out, ironically this time the older Wiis are being left out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.