WiFi Tethering App snuck into Apple App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My biggest thing is, why do cell providers want us to pay $30 a month for something that clearly doesn't need a monthly subscription - we're already paying monthly fees for the airtime and data access, why should we have to pay more to use it in a different way? It's still the same 1's and 0's going through their networks...

And to those of you who say, "But you're transmitting more data with tethering" - if the plan says unlimited data, then there is already no limit...

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BakuFunn said:
Everyone's going "HAHAHA APPLE FAIL CAUSE THEY GOT FOOLED BY HACKERS HAHAHAHA"

Nintendo must fail fifty hundred fucking times harder.
Nice trolling. One person said haha and no one said it was done by hackers. Seriously fifty hundred. You must be retarded.

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BakuFunn said:

When did Nintendo fail 5,000x harder than apple. If I remember correctly they are one of the most selling companies in the world.
I mean even an 8 year old is able to jailbreak an ipod touch. I don't consider flashcarts as hacking. Its more like a external storage space for the ds.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gamefreak94 said:
BakuFunn said:

When did Nintendo fail 5,000x harder than apple. If I remember correctly they are one of the most selling companies in the world.
I mean even an 8 year old is able to jailbreak an ipod touch. I don't consider flashcarts as hacking. Its more like a external storage space for the ds.
I don't think he's talking about flashcarts. I think he's talking about Wii softmodding.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how when someone points out a single amusing parallel to a different beloved company, everyone immediately jumps on him spouting absolute nonsense excuses for why this is not similar.

gamefreak94 said:
When did Nintendo fail 5,000x harder than apple. If I remember correctly they are one of the most selling companies in the world.Apple has larger profits and more on-hand assets than Nintendo by two to three times.

QUOTE said:
I don't consider flashcarts as hacking. Its more like a external storage space for the ds.Nintendo (and a few third-party developers) have "failed" because their encryption and anti-piracy are continually cracked on almost every attempt they make to implement it.

QUOTE said:
Stop being such an apple fanboy. When Nintendo fails its good for us because we get a exploit to hack. When Apple fails its just funny because of their strict attitude can be shot down by a clever teenager.
Uh, no?

When Apple "fails", we get oodles of free functionality and additional choices in cellular carrier. I think that falls under "good for us."

And to those of you who say, "But you're transmitting more data with tethering" - if the plan says unlimited data, then there is already no limit...
It's only "unlimited" if you're using it in a certain way (and ATT doesn't have any unlimited plans anymore). If they simply allowed free tethering, their network would be completely cluster-fucked, as it's pretty bad as it is.

Honestly, the internet's overuse of the word "fail" has pretty much caused it to lose all meaning.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
there's an app for that! what do you say now apple?
laugh.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BakuFunn said:

Nintendo must fail fifty hundred times harder.

Ah yeah, what was the name of that WiiWare game that actually installed HBC? Oh yeah, that's right. There wasn't one.

Nintendo have never distributed something that actually includes a hack against their system like this does. It is completely different. If, for example, Nintendo accidentally allowed a WiiWare game that lets you play burnt discs or something, yeah, the two would be comparable. As it is, no, they are not.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
Ah yeah, what was the name of that WiiWare game that actually installed HBC? Oh yeah, that's right. There wasn't one.

Nintendo have never distributed something that actually includes a hack against their system like this does. It is completely different. If, for example, Nintendo accidentally allowed a WiiWare game that lets you play burnt discs or something, yeah, the two would be comparable. As it is, no, they are not.
The main difference being that the iOS AppStore has over 225,000 pieces of software. It's not comparable to the Wii Shop Channel at all, where Nintendo has the luxury of thoroughly vetting each submission, the majority of which come from reputable developers.

SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Urza said:
SifJar said:

The main difference being that the iOS AppStore has over 225,000 pieces of software. It's not comparable to the Wii Shop Channel at all, where Nintendo has the luxury of thoroughly vetting each submission, the majority of which come from reputable developers.

And that means Nintendo fails how...? Apple and Nintendo both made choices as to how to run and market their stores.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has widespread piracy through a jackson-worth flashcart that works by dragging a couple of $30 games in, and Apple accidentally approved an app that allowed a few people to tether legally for a day or two.

Am I being a fanboy by pointing out facts, or are you being a hater?

SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BakuFunn said:
Nintendo has widespread piracy through a jackson-worth flashcart that works by dragging a couple of $30 games in, and Apple accidentally approved an app that allowed a few people to tether legally for a day or two.

Am I being a fanboy by pointing out facts, or are you being a hater?

"tether legally"? Since when was tethering illegal? Jailbreaking is perfectly legal to the best of my knowledge.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
Urza said:
SifJar said:

And that means Nintendo fails how...? Apple and Nintendo both made choices as to how to run and market their stores.
My point being that if the members of the forum must use the term "fail" (which I disagree with in the first place), Nintendo and most other large software producers have as many "fails" as anyone else.

They're both incredibly profitable though, so to use the term "fail" is pretty silly, especially for minor slip ups like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...