Homebrew whys old 3ds crappy at emulation but ds and psp is not

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Out of the three i've only tried snes9x (PSP) and scdstwo snes. Personally i think both do a fair reasonable job, Super Metroid runs pretty much fullspeed on the psp. Games like yoshi's island do suffer from a minor slowdown but it's still 45-52fps to the point it is still playable.

O3ds emulation i've tried to avoid it because the emulator is not nearly as optimized as the others were. I doubt it will ever get to that point now with the SNES injections being fullspeed on N3ds. Also i seem to recall blargsnes only suffer such slowdowns from O3ds.

the psp can emulate super mario kart and old 3ds has some things over the psp such as more ram the processor is slower but not by a whole lot compared to old 3ds to the new 3ds. old 3ds has 128mbs of ram thats more then the wii

It's not raw power what you need to take into account. It's how the CPU's language interprets them, if said language differs from the targets power will be lost in the process of replicating the parts that do undertand said language.

ARM=/=MIPS

Think of it as the difference in running linux and running linux from a virtual console inside of windows. obviously power from the processor would already be in use by windows, don't you think?

Feel free to correct me if i had misunderstood anything.

Last edited by Alex658,

hacksn5s4

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Damn you sure don't know that platforms with the SAME CPU architecture are more easily emulated than CPUs with different architectures no matter how powerful the CPU or the system is.
thats why ported emulators run bad unless the systems powerful so they should make emulators designed for the 3ds

zac122

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread pops up all the time. You can find good answers to your question in any of those threads. If you don't have a good understanding of what emulation is then you should just accept that it doesn't work like you want it to and move on. The short of it is that the o3ds just doesn't have to power to emulate gba full speed. Injection is your best bet for that.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think a DS flashcart is better for NES, SMS, and TG16 games. Particularly NitroGrafx is a fucking amazing emulator that plays CD games at full speed and nesDS is damn good too.

hacksn5s4

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Makes me think why old 3ds has more ram then a last gen hanheld but a shitty processor nintedo made a mistake there their systems are always underpowered now days

Pokéidiot

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
About game compatibility, it's all about emulation accuracy. Not all emulators have 100% accuracy in it's emulation.
blargSNES has a very poor accuracy, so don't expect your Call of Duty port for SNES to run in this.

hacksn5s4

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo has no obligation to make their systems good at emulation btw
well 3ds game graphics are like better then n64 but not as good as gamecube when i first got a 3ds i thought it was more powerful then it really was new 3ds does not improve a whole lot i hope nintedo does better with their next handheld

Last edited by hacksn5s4,
D

Deleted User

It's also important to note, at least with the SNES, there's something about the way things are drawn to the screen. IIRC, with the way the 3DS's GPU is designed, it makes it tough to draw tilemap-like stuff to the screen accurately and with comparable speed. Because of that, software rendering is easier, but more intensive (someone correct me if I'm wrong here; I'm trying to hash together multiple things I've read here after just having woken up). DS didn't have that problem; can't say much about the PSP though.

zac122

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Complaining isn't going to fix a thing. Oh by the by we actually do have a gba emulator built specifically for the 3ds, and iirc it has far more problems than mgba and gpsp.

hacksn5s4

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
About game compatibility, it's all about emulation accuracy. Not all emulators have 100% accuracy in it's emulation.
blargSNES has a very poor accuracy, so don't expect your Call of Duty port for SNES to run in this.
at least sega megadrive emulations good like the sonic 1 and 2 3d have no lag issues and picodrives alright but its a bit buggy

Last edited by hacksn5s4,

zac122

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
new 3ds does not improve a whole lot. I hope nintedo does better with their next handheld

The new 3ds makes a massive difference for emulation. We can emulate psx pretty solidly with the n3ds. snes and gba are both full speed. If you look at the specs you'll see just how wrong that statement is.

The 3ds is an amazing system buddy. Just because you were disappointed with it doesn't mean Nintendo made a bad handheld. The fact that I can play ports of ps2 and wii games on a handheld is really cool(well I only know of one from each of those categories but still =p)

DHall243

I Stay Broke Because I Keep Buying 3DS's To A9LH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at least sega megadrive emulations good like the sonic 1 and 2 3d have no lag issues and picodrives alright but its a bit buggy
Because theyre in reality rebuilt versions of the original roms for the 2/3ds

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devs no longer have any motivation to develop emulators for closed systems like 3ds and vita, when there are cheaper phones out there that can emulate up to the dreamcast with a higher screen resolution.

During the PSP times, the system was considered one of the most powerful handheld, since there were no yearly smartphones.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER