Homebrew whys old 3ds crappy at emulation but ds and psp is not

DHall243

I Stay Broke Because I Keep Buying 3DS's To A9LH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devs no longer have any motivation to develop emulators for closed systems like 3ds and vita, when there are cheaper phones out there that can emulate up to the dreamcast with a higher screen resolution.

During the PSP times, the system was considered one of the most powerful handheld, since there were no yearly smartphones.

I switched to iOS, yea fuck my life right, i use to play DS emulations on my GS5 all the time

hacksn5s4

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Devs no longer have any motivation to develop emulators for closed systems like 3ds and vita, when there are cheaper phones out there that can emulate up to the dreamcast with a higher screen resolution.

During the PSP times, the system was considered one of the most powerful handheld, since there were no yearly smartphones.
problems with smart phones art no physical buttons and if you use a controller its not like a Handheld. atleast gba injection is a thing

Last edited by hacksn5s4,

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without the cart slot it's not backwards compatible without emulation
Correct me if im wrong but dont gba vc games run natively on 3ds with no emulation? That would mean that they are backwards compatible without emulation.

DHall243

I Stay Broke Because I Keep Buying 3DS's To A9LH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if im wrong but dont gba vc games run natively on 3ds with no emulation? That would mean that they are backwards compatible without emulation.
i looked it up, essentially a 3DS is an overclocked DSi, which was an overclocked DS which was an overclocked GBA lol but i guess what i was trying to say was the GBA cartridge would have to be usable to be truely backwards compatible, your still playing the games as a rom with declocked native hardware on VC.

hacksn5s4

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
eh so ds roms could be playble but its to hard since nintedo did not make a ds game vc like with gba and dsiware is stored on nand and it would not fit big games and ds rom booting though it does not work idk why

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

all nintedo hanhelds from the gba uses arm

Last edited by hacksn5s4,

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
eh so ds roms could be playble but its to hard since nintedo did not make a ds game vc like with gba and dsiware is stored on nand and it would not fit big games and ds rom booting though it does not work idk why

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

all nintedo hanhelds from the gba uses arm
you know that the arm architecture varies from handheld from handheld, right?

Reactions: Wolfvak

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neither the PSP or the DS were able to emulate the SNES better than the o3DS did.
The DS had to run the emulator off a flashcard, so the emulation was depending on the power of the flashcard. The best one ever released was the DSTWO+, and even so it was still bad.
PSP had a lot of graphical issues.
The o3DS (with BlargSnes) is the most accurate of all three.

(But none of this matters because the n3DS can run Snes and GBA perfectly)
Even though that's true, Dont forget that those 2 had a LOT more time on the homebrew scene than the 3DS did. It hasn't really been a year yet since the scene completely boomed on 3DS. I remember the PSP went on for YEARS. Hell, I remember using the red screen tiff exploit after I accidentally upgraded, and nowadays we have 6.60 CFW used on the Vita. I think 3DS homebrew will catch up to what PSP had though.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You're right, I shouldn't call it bad. But it's still inferior to the o3ds' emulation.

GBA VC Injection.

That's true. In some ways I like SNES on a DSi XL better than a 3DS XL though. The screen's a slightly better fit with the 3DS, but there's something about the DSi XL screen that just looks better with 2D games.

Edit: you mean N3DS, right? N3DS SNES VC is essentially perfect. But RetroArch on O3DS is not as good as a DSTwo in my experience.

GBA on a DSTwo has the tiniest lag though. For 98% of games you don't really notice it. But Rhythm Tengoku is unplayable.

Last edited by regnad,

Deltrix18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edit: you mean N3DS, right? N3DS SNES VC is essentially perfect. But RetroArch on O3DS is not as good as a DSTwo in my experience

No, I meant o3DS because I feel like BlargSnes is superior to DSTWO, but who am I to judge? I only tried the DSTWO once.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Neither the PSP or the DS were able to emulate the SNES better than the o3DS did.
The DS had to run the emulator off a flashcard, so the emulation was depending on the power of the flashcard. The best one ever released was the DSTWO+, and even so it was still bad.
PSP had a lot of graphical issues.
The o3DS (with BlargSnes) is the most accurate of all three.

(But none of this matters because the n3DS can run Snes and GBA perfectly)
Issues on PSP? I had snes9x on my PSP like 8 years ago and even than it ran perfectly, never had a single issue

[^Blark^]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Issues on PSP? I had snes9x on my PSP like 8 years ago and even than it ran perfectly, never had a single issue
I had about 5-7 PSP's over the course of 3 years back around 2007-2009-10. I have a vita now (3.18) and the emulation is just as I remember it. battle toads is laggy at times and choppy same with every SNES game on PSP unless you tweak settings for each individual game but even then it's not smooth. the best emu's for PSP is gpSP Kai , Snes TTYL or whatever ( basically just a tweaked snes9x version I think) and Homers Rin. thats my opinion...but even the ttyl snes emu had fps issues and stuttering/sound problems. I wouldn't call it perfect.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RAM ISN'T SPEED,
IT'S THE CPU THAT ALWAYS DOES ALL THE HARD WORK, AND THE 3DS HAS ONLY 100~ MHZ CLOCK IN EACH ARM11 CORE.
268 megahertz. Though you're way off I won't argue that the o3ds is a potato. That'd be like arguing the sky is blue.
As for you @hacksn5s4, for @Densetsu's sake LEARN SOME ENGLISH. As @Davidosky99 stated it's nigh impossible to comprehend what you're trying to say, much less tell you why you're wrong. Also, please listen to what we're saying. Post after post everyone has been telling you why you can't just have a good old3ds snes or GBA emulator and post after post you continue to ignore us.
GBA injection works perfectly because the 3ds is an extended version of the ds, which is an extended version of the GBA. Injection merely utilizes the very old hardware still in the 3ds, in shorthand.

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
268 megahertz. Though you're way off I won't argue that the o3ds is a potato. That'd be like arguing the sky is blue.
As for you @hacksn5s4, for @Densetsu's sake LEARN SOME ENGLISH. As @Davidosky99 stated it's nigh impossible to comprehend what you're trying to say, much less tell you why you're wrong. Also, please listen to what we're saying. Post after post everyone has been telling you why you can't just have a good old3ds snes or GBA emulator and post after post you continue to ignore us.
GBA injection works perfectly because the 3ds is an extended version of the ds, which is an extended version of the GBA. Injection merely utilizes the very old hardware still in the 3ds, in shorthand.
WELL SAID

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the dev of blargSNES said that the 2D hardware features missing on 3DS (with the current libraries for writing code and the reverse engineering that had been done at that time) made it very hard to get a full speed, accurate emulator. Without hardware acceleration, things just weren't running at a playable speed and this is basically confirmed by Nintendo's decision to make it New 3DS only with their 3DS SNES VC.

With more minds tackling some of those issues, perhaps blargSNES could have ended up even better. I liked it for what it could do, it was nice but now not very useful since the practical solution for most is to upgrade to a New 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far