Country
Woot we get mentioned there!
So does Shoptemp!
biggrin.gif

And so does Spinals DScovered!
smile.gif

Viral advertising FTW

On-topic: still reading the damn article

EDIT: Finished the article, mostly it's just saying that piracy isn't stealing and how easy it is thanks to Shoptemp and sites like GBATEMP

thiefraccoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've read many articles like this before,
but i like the part about how people who pirate certain files probably wouldn't have bought it if there was no piracy .

Posts merged

also, LOL at certain "pirate bay"

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i can definitely see things such as cloud based gaming (specifically onlive) reducing piracy as far as video games go. thats not to say everything will be cloud based in the future, but i can definitely see a shift in that direction given the success of digital distribution.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, one downloaded copy does not equal a sale. It is far from that. Despite this, there's definitely people who effectively cost entertainment companies money by pirating where they otherwise would have bought. I know, because I was (maybe am) one of them. It's not stealing, but it's still undeniably wrong.

I'm just saying, when you see people posting code you've written and debugged for hours on end up on file uploading websites then freely sharing the link for ego or whatever, you get a new perspective on things.
lecture.gif
It's a golden rule sort of thing. I've since started buying most of my games again, especially those from small or independent developers.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Article goes on at great length as to why piracy is not theft. It does not mention copyright infringement, a much more serious (damages-wise) and easier to prove civil infringement, not a crime.

Decent article but reads like it was written by a 'temper. No offense here - it's better than I might expect from Totokekebukakke

W.I.C.K.E.D.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think another factor is the large amount of shit games that get released. If you go spend 60 bucks on something that might look cool in videos or reviews but sucks more ass than a dog with peanut butter in his poop hole, it's a complete turn off for spending your hard earned cash. I've had shoe boxes full of newer games, took them to gamestop and got damn near nothing for them. It hurts, and makes you realize all the money you've spent (and lost) over the years. I lost faith in the game industry a long time ago. Maybe this is a time when the industry (all of them for that matter) should think about making quality stuff that keeps people happy instead of being more concerned with their profit margin for the year. I understand business is business, and you have to make money to survive. If you get greedy though, it eventually bites you in the ass because karma is a bitch.

Edit: deleted...it was off topic...lol

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I completely disagree with this point of view and the future shall prove me right
tongue.gif
the present already serves my point:
basically it's going to be harder and harder to play illegally downloaded games on newer consoles, due to new digital protections such as DRMs, system hypervising, and other techniques like cloud computing (Assassin's creed 2 already does that, though it's been hacked already iirc)
The PS3 for example, well you can't play illegally downloaded games on it at the moment. The console has been out for years! The blogger does not mention the word "sony" or "playstation" anywhere in his article...
The next generation of 360 (slim maybe?) will probably enhance protection mechanisms although it's already hard to play pirated stuff on the new models.

Nintendo didn't pay much attention to protection mechanisms in their Wii and DS (but what of DSi ware?), probably because these consoles weren't powerful enough to integrate such mechanisms.
I think its very likely that the next generation of consoles and handheld will completely get rid of piracy.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
I completely disagree with this point of view and the future shall prove me right
tongue.gif
basically it's going to be harder and harder to play illegally downloaded games on newer consoles, due to new digital protections such as DRMs, system hypervising, and other techniques like cloud computing (Assassin's creed 2 already does that, though it's been hacked already iirc)
The PS3 for example, well you can't play illegally downloaded games on it at the moment. The console has been out for years! The blogger does not mention the word "sony" or "playstation" anywhere in his article...
The next generation of 360 (slim maybe?) will probably enhance protection mechanisms although it's already hard to play pirated stuff on the new models.

Nintendo didn't pay much attention to protection mechanisms in their Wii and DS (but what of DSi ware?), probably because these consoles weren't powerful enough to integrate such mechanisms.
I think its very likely that the next generation of consoles and handheld will completely get rid of piracy.
i agree completely. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3ds isnt as big of jump as people expect just because Nintendo wants to block piracy. There really serious about piracy now. Its saddens me to think I'll have to buy my ds games in the future.
cry.gif

W.I.C.K.E.D.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Belzar PS3 Modchip
The Belzar modchip beta 2, has now been sent out to our 50 beta testers, for final bug testing

* Works on all PS3 models
* Works on all PS3 regions (USA, JAP, PAL,)
* Direct Boot of PS3 original, import, and backup (copied) games
* Direct Boot of PS2 original, import, and backup (copied) games
* Supports multi-region Blueray Movie Playback
* Supports multi-region DVD Movie Playback
* No config disc needed - it just works!
* Transparent stealth operation
* Integrates proven belzar Intelligent Code Modifying System
* No awkward USB interface - just insert DVD and play!
* Supportsall upto date titles
* Ultra-low power consumption; does not interfere with normal PS3 operation
* Only 12 wires to solder
* No external PC/laptop needed
* completely upgradeable firmware, via Belzars usb 2.0 interface

......it has been mentioned

grubbymitts said:
Confirmed fake on many, many sites.

regardless there is an exploit in the system that can be used...

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...

Well, alright then. So basically, he's saying that the rate of piracy is proportional to how easy it is to pirate.

I could've told you that!

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
Costello said:
tongue.gif

i agree completely. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3ds isnt as big of jump as people expect just because Nintendo wants to block piracy. There really serious about piracy now. Its saddens me to think I'll have to buy my ds games in the future.
cry.gif
Agreed.
cry.gif
I don't want to spend my non-existing cash on games. So give or take 2 games a year.
frown.gif

@macgeek417 We all know that but they can make it harder and stop it for years.
frown.gif
I don't think they are really cracking down piracy on other fronts besides gaming really.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
W.I.C.K.E.D. said:
... instead of being more concerned with their profit margin for the year. I understand business is business, and you have to make money to survive. ...

As do I... I care for my profit margin and stopped buying games when the bottom fell out of 2nd hand game sales...

I remember the day when 2nd hand Saturn games on Ebay sold for more money than they cost new... these days a second hand game sells for a small fraction of the price...

It is a vicious circle... piracy has killed 2nd hand game sales, and low 2nd hand game prices mean that one must turn to piracy if one does not want to throw money down the toilet...

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Costello said:
tongue.gif
That's a good point, but the exact opposite is happening as well. Games like World of Goo have no protection at all, yet people buy them. To some, this might be seen as a trick that would only work the first time, but I disagree.

People simply don't accept DRM in their products. Of course, at first they do, but in the end I don't believe DRM has a future. If all music and movies had DRM they probably wouldn't be pirated as much either, but it would also mean that people don't want to buy them.

These days, there's an incredible amount of choice in video games. That means that there is competition, and that sooner or later games without protection (or at least without DRM) will start selling better. Think back 10 years ago. Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 Arena released in the same month of the same year. These products were incredibly similar. Now, if today something similar would happen, and one of the companies didn't use DRM, wouldn't its product sell a lot more? I believe it would, at least I would buy the product.
Costello said:
Or, again, you can turn it around and look at it from another viewpoint. The reason the PS3 is not hacked yet is undoubtedly because of the Other OS feature. This proves that at least hackers like features like these.

I believe consoles will become increasingly more open. The controlled environment like you see on current consoles won't be there in the same way ten or twenty years from now. By then, people simply don't accept DRM on their games and piracy has become even easier.
QUOTE(Costello @ May 2 2010, 08:30 AM)
Don't underestimate Nintendo. The DS is secured with RSA for example. That particular type still hasn't been hacked, so despite of the DS's power it can actually incorporate pretty secure features.

With the GBA, you could just make a cartridge that instantly worked on the system. It had no protection at all. With the DS, that's different. Like with many consoles, a few security holes broke the entire system open. Without the bug that allowed PassMe/WifiMe to work, the system wouldn't have been hacked for years.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Toader said:
Hey guys this is off topic, but which loader is this?
-snipped-
or is it a theme? If so for which usb loader?
It's Coverflow7 Loader. An old loader that existed a while back, but now it's no longer in development.
You can imitate the design with WiiFlow though

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
yay for us!
btw; i know plenty of people that if they couldnt pirate all the shitty wii games out there, they wouldnt get any... cos they are all shit... at least NIN is getting coverage... they have not bought a good game into the market for a long while (with only few exceptions).
wtf this guy talking about... xbox hacking isnt that hard.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What Heran Bago said and aside from some gripes with the 360 side of things (no mention of JTAG, every few months, probes being a necessity) and steam (the implication that it prevents copying) my main problem would be the claim that books are not really copied...... there are several high profile newsgroups on the subject and more than a few forums dedicated to it especially if you step outside fiction and head into the more technical realms; those books can cost a fortune- from my main field the ASM Handbooks ( http://products.asminternational.org/hbk/index.jsp ) clock some 25 volumes and each clocks around 200 USD, while you will probably not need all of them there are four or five core books that overlap across the entire field) and you can give me any other area of science, engineering and possibly law (my experience says it is more little and frequent and similar examples will be coming your way. Aside from image heavy PDF files (even then they are not that large) you also have to consider that they are far better suited to more traditional methods of distribution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1