Question Why no XCI Mounting or Stealth mode with Atmosphere ?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by xbmcuser, Oct 15, 2019.

1. xbmcuser
    OP

xbmcuser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2007
    United States
    Will the developers ever implement XCI or Sx OS stealth mode on Atmosphere?

What is the reason that these implemented?

2. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    1) While SXOS can add Atmosphere features by copying the open source code without giving proper credit, no-one can easily steal SXOS code in turn as it remains closed source.

2) SXOS' XCI loading using a lot of copyrighted Nintendo code and is therefore copyright infringement that no open source firmware will ever implement.

3) Atmosphere supposedly has pretty good telemetry blocking that makes a ban unlikely as long as you never install any .nsp, which are primarily used for piracy so atmosphere devs have no interest in supporting that. I'd also stay away from online hacks or save editing though.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Oct 15, 2019
    UraKn0x likes this.
  3. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    XCI loading will not be implemented because it directly correlates to piracy.
    (Atmosphere devs are against it)

As for stealth mode, I assume it's just not something they're interested in, considering virtually the same safety can be achieved with creport and keeping your online partition (whether that's sys/emunand) clean.

4. RednaxelaNnamtra

RednaxelaNnamtra GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2011
    Germany
    About 2, its true when talking about the sxos implementation, but its also possible to implement it without the copyright problems, but since its always connected to piracy, nobody wants to work on it.
    I would work on it myself, to fully get rid of sxos for playing my own gamecard dumps online, but I lack the knowledge in the reverse engineering department, so I will probably only be able to implement it, after the fs sysmodule got reimplemented, at which point most developers would probably able to do it.

5. snoofly

snoofly GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Where did you find this out?

Xyphoseos likes this.
  6. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    90DNS is functionally very similar to stealth mode.

7. Bergot

Bergot GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2017
    United States
    A lot of gate keepers in here...if the devs dont want to incentive piracy...dont homebrew it..because both walks hand to hand...

Last edited by Bergot, Oct 16, 2019
    Tumbleweed likes this.
  8. RednaxelaNnamtra

RednaxelaNnamtra GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2011
    Germany
    Last edited by RednaxelaNnamtra, Oct 15, 2019
    210modz, snoofly and 8BitWonder like this.
  9. snoofly

snoofly GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    sounds like although possible in theory to implement xci load w/out requiring the signed code, it would be a royal pita to implement and maintain

thanks for the links

10. xabier

xabier GBAtemp Fan

Dec 10, 2006
    United States
    In fact stealth mode "copied" 90dns. The good thing about stealth mode is that it doesn't need to be set for every new connection. Some internet carriers also block DNS changes so 90dns is not usable.

I m pretty happy with incognito, it feels safe as an extra measure no 90dns not working in some access points.

11. xbmcuser
    OP

xbmcuser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2007
    United States
    I don't get it xci mounting is piracy, however nsps loading is not

If its open source anybody out there, other than dev team trying to get sx os functionality into atmosphere?

Surely somoeone needs to show sx os whatever they do can be done for free?

12. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Because XCIs are dumps from game cartridges. No homebrew was ever released on a game cartridge for Switch, so when it comes to XCI loading the only usage scenario is backup loading / piracy.

Some homebrew, however, is distributed via NSPs. These get installed to the home menu, so they can be launched more conveniently rather than having to load the homebrew menu first. They also allow full RAM access.

The point is that NSPs have legitimate uses aside from piracy, whereas XCIs are pretty much only used for piracy.

shadowac likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted