What's the challenge with the XCI loader?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by Khar00f, Oct 8, 2018.

1. tinkle

tinkle taciturn shill girl

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    "installing" an XCI file, as some of the lower IQ members have learned, is just turning it into an NSP file. The certificate from the cart dump is lost in the process and you're just using an NSP at that stage.

Also to those who think you can't use updates and DLC with XCI files, I think you must be new here - you can use both, and without installing anything to your switch itself.

2. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    Bullshit. They do hate TX but they don't hate XCI loaders because of TX. They don't want to be held liable for writing that shit and they are against piracy. That's why. There may be plenty of people wanting it but barely anyone of them has the knowledge to pull this off.

3. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Not to be a twit about it, but did that writeup ever get made and posted anywhere?

4. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I was talking about pirates who are anti XCI because they are anti TX. There are plenty of posts on here that show this.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

There are plenty of illegal things in switch scene due to DMCA violations. One more isn't going to make a difference.

KhenemetHeru likes this.
  5. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    DMCA however isn't universal but only US. So it's not really an argument.

6. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Norway
    Grand Line
    Piracy is piracy be it in xci or nsp. They are equally illegal.

7. _hexkyz_

_hexkyz_ Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2018
    United States
    No problem. The writeup hasn't been published yet.
    I ended up neglecting that one in favor of more important stuff and the draft I've written is still stuck in time (SX OS v2.0). There are a number of code changes and features in recent updates that I find important to mention, so I'll have to dedicate some time updating the writeup to be on-par with their latest release. I'll probably pick it up once browserhax+nvhax are done and working.

8. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    The DMCA implements WIPO treaties on anti circumvention technology that are required to be implemented around the world (EUCD in europe for example, Australia has anti circumvention in their copyright law).

It's easier to just refer to it as the DMCA as people know what that is.

If you're not worried about DMCA then don't worry about keys, it's impossible to copyright them as they have no artistic merit and are just random numbers.

Last edited by smf, Mar 14, 2019
    KhenemetHeru likes this.
  9. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    You still aren't correct about it. Eucd isn't the same and I find nothing alike with the dmca about circumvention since it's different per country. Yes keys are trade secrets or heck even classified information. So yes the keys are their property. You talk about hashes still. Once a master key is made, it's a trade secret according to us law .

10. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    sigh.

http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/3879/1/3879.pdf

The EUCD’s restrictions on acts of circumvention and circumvention products and services are extremely similar to those of s.1201 of the DMCA: International Review of Law, Computers and Technology, forthcoming, 2006 -10- Article 6 Obligations as to technological measures 1. Member States shall provide adequate legal protection against the circumvention of any effective technological measures, which the person concerned carries out in the knowledge, or with reasonable grounds to know, that he or she is pursuing that objective. 2. Member States shall provide adequate legal protection against the manufacture, import, distribution, sale, rental, advertisement for sale or rental, or possession for commercial purposes of devices, products or components or the provision of services which: (a) are promoted, advertised or marketed for the purpose of circumvention of, or (b) have only a limited commercially significant purpose or use other than to circumvent, or (c) are primarily designed, produced, adapted or performed for the purpose of enabling or facilitating the circumvention of, any effective technological measures. The key difference with the DMCA comes in the definition of “effective technological measures”: 3. For the purposes of this Directive, the expression "technological measures" means any technology, device or component that, in the normal course of its operation, is designed to prevent or restrict acts, in respect of works or other subject-matter, which are not authorised by the rightholder of any copyright or any right related to copyright as provided for by law or the sui generis right provided for in Chapter III of Directive 96/9/EC. Technological measures shall be deemed "effective" where the use of a protected work or other subject-matter is controlled by the rightholders through application of an access control or protection process, such as encryption, scrambling or other transformation of the work or other subject-matter or a copy control mechanism, which achieves the protection objective. Circumvention of technologies that control acts or works not protected by copyright (such as DVD region codes, or protected public domain works) is therefore not restricted by the EUCD. 51

Only government bodies can classify something.

Trade secret law is kinda pointless against this type of thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Copy_Control_Ass'n,_Inc._v._Bunner

Once you start distributing it, it's no longer a secret

http://www.bu.edu/law/journals-archive/scitech/volume102/martin.pdf

Ironically the sept binaries may be violations because the key is still a secret and use of a secret is covered just as much as distributing it.

Last edited by smf, Mar 15, 2019
    KhenemetHeru likes this.
  11. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    However, Nintendo lost a courtcase in the EU against, for example "homebrews"
    https://www.iptechblog.com/2014/02/...on-of-copy-protection-measures-can-be-lawful/

So no, your EUCD isn't set in stone. It's up to the courts to decide.
    And still, the masterkey is property of the rights holder, according to the DMCA.
    https://boingboing.net/2007/05/02/eff-explains-the-law.html

I still agree that it's silly a couple of hex numbers can be counted as their property. But the DMCA is as the DMCA is. This is why GBAtemp rather remove the keys than go in to a legal dispute.
    Also EUCD =/= DMCA.

8BitWonder and gonzogonzales like this.
  12. toxic9

toxic9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 13, 2016
    The main question of the OP is:
    Is anyone developing a xci loader? yes or no?

KhenemetHeru likes this.
  13. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    They won other cases in the EU against flash card sellers who argued they could be used for homebrew. They only said it can be lawful, the US has a similar view. They granted an exemption for phones but not for game consoles.

Which is a point I've made before. Laws always need interpreting, that is what the courts do.

Where does it say it is?

If you want to stay on the right side of the DMCA then potentially linking to atmosphere and certainly hosting the patches here are an issue. The DMCA prevents distributing or talking about anything that decrypts copyright material without permission and both atmosphere and the patches allow that. Atmosphere decrypts copyright nintendo os code to load it without permission. The patches trick the switch into thinking you have permission to decrypt.

I didn't say they were the same, only that they implement the same WIPO treaties for anti circumvention which are slowly being implemented around the world. The DMCA also covers other things than anti circumvention, but they are similar enough in the anti circumvention that they would be applicable here.

Last edited by smf, Mar 15, 2019
    KhenemetHeru likes this.
  14. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    I have not found nothing about flashcart wins in the EU, since they're empty from delivery. So it's a reason why for example 01Media is still around.
    What I know the WIPO isn't law biding but a suggestion.

Please look at the Lawsuit I linked again about "homebrews" being legal.
    The patches are however legal, since they don't modify anything with in the firmware. It's totally legal to modify our OWNED property in EU. It's ours and what we do with it, is up to us.

https://www.wired.com/2010/07/feds-ok-iphone-jailbreaking/ - same as Atmosphere, its perfectly fine to "jailbreak" your hardware in the US as well.

15. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    but somehow we are unable to modify our firearms: like guns and rifles, even they are my properties.

16. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    EDIT: Nevermind. I'm not getting involved in threads like this anymore.

Last edited by urherenow, Mar 15, 2019
  17. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    There are loads, here is one.

https://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/french-court-reverses-ds-flash-cart-ruling-nintendo-smiles/

Shipping them empty appears to be irrelevant. There were court papers I read where the defendant claimed they could be used for homebrew and it was rejected as the likelihood was that they were not all going to be used for homebrew. As civil courts only need to be more than 50% sure, then it's good enough.

18. Picalo

Picalo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2019
    United States
    Is anyone developing a xci loader?

KhenemetHeru likes this.
  19. flowlapache

flowlapache Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2010
    France
    and now?is there someone who is making an xci or nsp loader instead of going hollidays?

KhenemetHeru likes this.
  20. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    ...sheesh.

ManCloud likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted