Hacking Question Why no XCI Mounting or Stealth mode with Atmosphere ?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) While SXOS can add Atmosphere features by copying the open source code without giving proper credit, no-one can easily steal SXOS code in turn as it remains closed source.

2) SXOS' XCI loading using a lot of copyrighted Nintendo code and is therefore copyright infringement that no open source firmware will ever implement.

3) Atmosphere supposedly has pretty good telemetry blocking that makes a ban unlikely as long as you never install any .nsp, which are primarily used for piracy so atmosphere devs have no interest in supporting that. I'd also stay away from online hacks or save editing though.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XCI loading will not be implemented because it directly correlates to piracy.
(Atmosphere devs are against it)

As for stealth mode, I assume it's just not something they're interested in, considering virtually the same safety can be achieved with creport and keeping your online partition (whether that's sys/emunand) clean.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1) While SXOS can add Atmosphere features by copying the open source code without giving proper credit, no-one can easily steal SXOS code in turn as it remains closed source.

2) SXOS' XCI loading using a lot of copyrighted Nintendo code and is therefore copyright infringement that no open source firmware will ever implement.

3) Atmosphere supposedly has pretty good telemetry blocking that makes a ban unlikely as long as you never install any .nsp, which are primarily used for piracy so atmosphere devs have no interest in supporting that. I'd also stay away from online hacks or save editing though.
About 2, its true when talking about the sxos implementation, but its also possible to implement it without the copyright problems, but since its always connected to piracy, nobody wants to work on it.
I would work on it myself, to fully get rid of sxos for playing my own gamecard dumps online, but I lack the knowledge in the reverse engineering department, so I will probably only be able to implement it, after the fs sysmodule got reimplemented, at which point most developers would probably able to do it.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
sounds like although possible in theory to implement xci load w/out requiring the signed code, it would be a royal pita to implement and maintain

thanks for the links

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
90DNS is functionally very similar to stealth mode.

In fact stealth mode "copied" 90dns. The good thing about stealth mode is that it doesn't need to be set for every new connection. Some internet carriers also block DNS changes so 90dns is not usable.

I m pretty happy with incognito, it feels safe as an extra measure no 90dns not working in some access points.

xbmcuser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get it xci mounting is piracy, however nsps loading is not

If its open source anybody out there, other than dev team trying to get sx os functionality into atmosphere?

Surely somoeone needs to show sx os whatever they do can be done for free?

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get it xci mounting is piracy, however nsps loading is not

Because XCIs are dumps from game cartridges. No homebrew was ever released on a game cartridge for Switch, so when it comes to XCI loading the only usage scenario is backup loading / piracy.

Some homebrew, however, is distributed via NSPs. These get installed to the home menu, so they can be launched more conveniently rather than having to load the homebrew menu first. They also allow full RAM access.

The point is that NSPs have legitimate uses aside from piracy, whereas XCIs are pretty much only used for piracy.

78_Alpha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The XCI Format seems similar to a SNAP on Ubuntu, more a sandboxed image that can rely externals, but be removed without causing direct issues with lower level parts.

An XCI Homebrew app would be portable, without the need of installation. If the autoloader was also enabled it would load up the XCI as though it were a gamecart, allowing homebrew full memory access without needing to inject over a title (Like how all the tinfoil apps work).

Try as I might, gotta pray I can find something usable from decompiling SX OS without triggering the brick code.

duckbill007

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Let explain it simple.
For example I am a developer (I said for example) that have skills to implement XCI loader. But! It will needs me spend some time to do it. Time that I can spend to playing games.

As for me XCI usage is not better that installing NSP. If game gets update I need either find and install that update (as with nsp) or find and rebuild my xci (and replace my old one with new one). So - here are no advantages. I do not collect all possible games on external hdd. I am playing that games that I want to play (10-15) and sd card is enough for that.
Also - game startups much slower from xci that from installed nsp, especially in installed to NAND.

So, if you want XCI loader - create it yourself or hire developer that do it for you. Or find someone that want spend time for free and do not gain any advantage in gaming after that.

eyeonus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let explain it simple.
For example I am a developer (I said for example) that have skills to implement XCI loader. But! It will needs me spend some time to do it. Time that I can spend to playing games.
So, if you want XCI loader - create it yourself or hire developer that do it for you....

You have a Patreon?

I want xci loading, and my reasons have nothing to do with piracy.

I want to be able to dump my game cards to my 4TB external hard drive (already done, actually) and play them off that (still waiting), rather than having to mess with inserting/ejecting 100+ physical cards every time I want to switch from one game to another, or having to decide which 8 or 9 games get to be installed and all the fuss involved in uninstalling these games so my kid can play those games, and then uninstalling those games so I can play these games four hours later. Also sd cards have a limited number of times you can write to them before they cease to function, so I'd much rather not increase the wear and tear like that.

Oh, I also like the fact that you can fold updates into the base game on an xci, something you can't do with nsp. There is a game that has 22 revisions and over 50 DLC. I don't own it because I'm not into that game series, but just as an example, that represents a difference of 1 file vs 52+ files (base, most recent revision, all DLC). For me specifically, I own LoZBotW, which I bought at GameStop the same day I bought my Switch. I own the DLC for it too. On my computer I have an xci file that is the orginal dump of my personal LoZBotW gamecard with the latest revision update and the DLC included, which is what I use to install the game on my Switch. One xci that does the equivalent of 4 nsp files. One instance of installation versus 4. Saves me a spot of hassle. Obviously not as extreme as the game with over 50 DLC, but still, do you see my point?

If you don't have a Patreon, get one or something like it. Tell the people in here and places like it that you'll do the work if they pay you and give them a link to do so. I'll be one of the first to contribute.

Last edited by eyeonus,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol