Hacking why isnt a gba emulator on slot 1 cards possible?

OmegaVitaminC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i understand how gba carts have their own built in ram etc, but why cant somebody make a program that reads the rom code,
and outputs it for the ds to read, just like the nes, snes etc emulators do?
i can understand if there would be lag problems and stuff, but i just want to play rpgs and strategy games, like advance wars and golden sun.
is something like that possible?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, it's possible on the iPlayer.

Second, the DS doesn't have enough power alone to emulate it. The iPlayer has an on-board thing that makes it more powerful than other slot-1 carts (which makes it possible to watch .avi files on your DS).

Third, slot-2 carts don't emulate the GBA.

damedus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
best choise is a I player or just gtetting a dingo for a few bucks more, I keep mi dingo in the pocket as a micro gba to compliment my dsi. since it fits unoticeably in my DSi carry pouch in the 3 cart storage space that i dont need since the DSi has a AK2i in it.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSi mode is where you can play DSi-only game(s) though there's only 1 at the moment, DSiWare games which are the downloaded games, and DS games with DSi features (camera).

Right now, we can't do any of that with flash carts. Flash carts can only run DS mode, which is basically the exact same thing as running a game on the DS (no extra RAM, no camera features).

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*sigh*

There's nothing stopping anyone from porting VBA or something. The challenge is making it run at a rate faster than 1 fps. The DS simply doesn't have the power to emulate it at a playable rate, and because of that, nobody's bothered making an emulator.

The DSi has faster hardware, but we don't have access to it yet. We only have access to the underclocked DS mode, which has the exact same limitations the DS did. Even then, I doubt a playable emulator would be possible, since I don't think the DSi is that much of a hardware upgrade.

The iPlayer has an emulator because it contains on-board hardware that is more powerful than the DSi itself, and the emulator is a port of an already-extremely-optimized emulator for the MIPS-based processor that the iPlayer has.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DS mode got bypassed because the flash carts all mimic as a retail DS game (Danny Phantom). This is actually illegal however, so it's pretty risky for flash cart teams to do this.

OmegaVitaminC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wow, I got alot of info out of this, i should use gbatemp more often lol!
hey, im really hoping somebody will evrntually make one, even if the framerate is less than half speed.
i really want to get games like advance wars 2.
i hope i dont have to buy a whole new flash cart just to play dsiware!

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. You would not want to play anything at half-speed, trust me. Most people get pissed off at around 80% speed. I wouldn't settle for anything less than 95%. Plus, whoever mentioned half-speed was probably exaggerating anyways.

2. I really don't see the point of that. If a flash cart manages to crack DSi mode, it will most likely be able to play regular DS and DSi games, as well as DSiWare. Not making any promises about GBA though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu