ROM Hack Why Has No One made a Homebrew to insert .SAV files into retail games / eShop games?

ringo1206

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just wondering because SVDT and save_manager can inject / extract the raw files to / from games but how come the regular save format (.SAV) hasn't been supported by this yet?

Also, when people share saves they usually aren't in the SaveDataFiler format anyway.

Megalegacy98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just wondering because SVDT and save_manager can inject / extract the raw files to / from games but how come the regular save format (.SAV) hasn't been supported by this yet?

Also, when people share saves they usually aren't in the SaveDataFiler format anyway.
Well first of all, the way save_manager/svdt and Gateway/SaveDataFiler handle saves are different. SVDT/sm handles decrypted raw saves, and the latter puts all the data into one file, encrypted. I'm not sure about this, but getting a .sav for a game (and importing it in) requires kernel access because of the encryption in the .sav to begin with I think.

ringo1206

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well first of all, the way save_manager/svdt and Gateway/SaveDataFiler handle saves are different. SVDT/sm handles decrypted raw saves, and the latter puts all the data into one file, encrypted. I'm not sure about this, but getting a .sav for a game (and importing it in) requires kernel access because of the encryption in the .sav to begin with I think.
Thanks for the reply, I guess this is why this hasn't happened yet..... But what about the R4i Save Dongle which works on 3ds games (only card1 of course)? It's just a pc application and i'm sure it doesn't emulate any kind of chips or whatever of the 3ds that decrypt the .sav files.

@suloku What do you think about this?

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know how that save dongle works, but someone told me .sav files in SD card (and all other nintendo files) are encrypted using a key unique to each 3DS system.
If we assume that is correct, that unique encryption can't be used for cartridge games, because then it would only work on a single 3DS system; since digital versions are meant to stay in a single 3DS system, hence the unique encryption.

I also was told that to get that unique encryption key, we would need kernel access. Theoretically, if we had the keys from 2 3DS systems, we could decrypt and re-encrypt the .SAV file so it can be used on another 3DS. But that would also allow us to install CIAs I guess.

Using decrypted saves is way better (but needs homebrew), I hope ninjhax 2.5 somehow allows the problematic games to run under svdt / save manager.

Of course, I could be wrong with everything I said since my knowledge on the topic is pretty limited and I haven't really looked into the topic.

Last edited by suloku,

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use 2 systems right now. One with 9.0, and one with 9.9. I use the 9.0 system to use NTR cheat plugins with SVDT or Savemanager then transfer the saves to my 9.9 system. If you need specific saves, just ask. There are plenty of great people on these pages to help. I don't have much time, but I can do as much as I can for you in my free time.

P.S. both are N3DS-LL systems.

Last edited by Ripper00420,

ZeCroque

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can use save data filer, but you have to find the link by yourself, as it's Nintendo copyrigthed somehow (I think it's part of the SDK, can't remember precisely)

Last edited by ZeCroque,

ringo1206

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For eshop games, you can use save data filer, but you have to find the link by yourself, as it's Nintendo copyrigthed somehow (I think it's part of the SDK, can't remember precisely)
SaveDataFiler doesn't handle .sav files, just the raw files inside the save file.

AHP_person

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most public save editors use fs:USER to access save files (afaik). This skips the whole decryption/re-encryption process (along with the aesmac, actual save dumping, etc.) by using hard coded service functions that do it for you. It uses the save data as a sort of filesystem, where you can read and write to files stored within the save.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission