Gaming Why does my PC emulate GC/Wii and PS2 so slowly

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(apologies to originality, he seems to be taking way too much offense. especially since the thread question was answered on page 1. inferior cpu == inferior emulator performance. clocks aren't everything)

I agree with Originality, but I didn't bother speaking up. It may have been somewhat educational to see the history of the AMD vs Intel debate over the past 10 years.
But the Original Post being fully answered doesn't make it more reasonable to have the lengthy Off-Topic & 1v1 discussion, especially when the thread's original topic was revisited by Fudge finally coming back seeking advice.

celcodioc

Major A$$hole
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't kept up with the discussion but I have 1 thing to say.

If you're annoyed by the fact that your PC can't emulate it well just buy the damned console and hack it for crying out loud.
The fact that you're emulating a console already says that you're pirating the games as well.

There is your "perfect" emulation speed and it doesn't cost you a fxcking fortune to get a PC that is capable of emulating it on full speed.

I might get a lot of reactions to my reply but I cannot be arsed to reply to them.

tl;dr.
If you want perfect speed on a PS2/GCN/Wii/Xbox then buy the console and hack it for piracy.

I agree with what you said, but a PC that would be able to play Wii games at full speed would cost quite a lot...

Reactions: 1 person

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Dolphin capable PC should be buildable with all necessary peripherals in the $600 or less range (For a desktop, that is "Budget/Midrange"... not very expensive).
Especially if you're willing to go used/recycle with some components.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hmm but the compatibility and the "full speed" of Dolphin requires a lot more then $600.

Even the NES emulator doesn't run at perfect speed.
Atleast it doesn't run at the same speed as my PAL NES. (tested with Megaman 2)

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
i should also note that you've called me names and insulted me. i have not flamed you at all.

also, nice edit. changed 10+ years to just 10. Should have changed it to 9, but i'm guessing you didn't want to be too obvious.
When and where did I ever call you names? Lets see....I didn't.

I also never posted 10+ years and as such never edited it to say 10, it always said 10. You can claim whatever you like, but this was never a spat between us.
I was stating my opinion based on experience, I never directed any kind of anger towards you. If you think I did you may have forgotten to take your medicine
or maybe you didn't actually read my post. I'm sorry if your alzheimers has gotten the better of you but please don't claim I said things that I in fact never did.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
(apologies to originality, he seems to be taking way too much offense.
Presumptuous aren't we? I didn't take offense because your entire argument has nothing to do with me.
i should also note that you've called me names and insulted me. i have not flamed you at all.

also, nice edit. changed 10+ years to just 10. Should have changed it to 9, but i'm guessing you didn't want to be too obvious.

I also never posted 10+ years and as such never edited it to say 10, it always said 10. You can claim whatever you like, but this was never a spat between us.
I was stating my opinion based on experience, I never directed any kind of anger towards you. If you think I did you may have forgotten to take your medicine
or maybe you didn't actually read my post. I'm sorry if your alzheimers has gotten the better of you but please don't claim I said things that I in fact never did.
Now this I saw coming ever since I recommended you two to take it to PMs. There is no constructive or educational element to either of your arguments, you're just both being stubborn about who's right and how stupid the other is. This is why I called you both kids. And based on this, I recommend a mod close this thread to force them to settle it over PMs. Or in the EoF section, if they want an audience.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(apologies to originality, he seems to be taking way too much offense. especially since the thread question was answered on page 1. inferior cpu == inferior emulator performance. clocks aren't everything)

I agree with Originality, but I didn't bother speaking up. It may have been somewhat educational to see the history of the AMD vs Intel debate over the past 10 years.
But the Original Post being fully answered doesn't make it more reasonable to have the lengthy Off-Topic & 1v1 discussion, especially when the thread's original topic was revisited by Fudge finally coming back seeking advice.

i wasn't justifying the "debate." originality kept wanting us to "get on topic," but that was resolved long before i posted, and i pointed it out. if we are going to be such sticklers for staying on topic, the advice should have been posted to a different thread, since it is a different topic. same person, yes. related subject, yes. but a different topic. you're either going to be a stickler, or you're not. you don't get to be selective when it suits you.

(apologies to originality, he seems to be taking way too much offense.
Presumptuous aren't we? I didn't take offense because your entire argument has nothing to do with me.

Now this I saw coming ever since I recommended you two to take it to PMs. There is no constructive or educational element to either of your arguments, you're just both being stubborn about who's right and how stupid the other is. This is why I called you both kids. And based on this, I recommend a mod close this thread to force them to settle it over PMs. Or in the EoF section, if they want an audience.

you took offence to the fact that the side discussion was even happening. if you didn't, you wouldn't have repeatedly posted about staying on topic.

there has been nothing childish about my posts. i have not insulted or demeaned anyone. i'm not lying about the edit that was made, either. i gain nothing from making up that accusation.

lumping me with unkle is a wrong statement that i resent. just because i'm in a "debate" (very loosely using that word) with him, doesn't mean i'm like him at all.

with that said, i have stopped replying to him, and this is my last post in this thread. i just wanted to address these issues.

tl;dr
you either make every thread strictly one topic or you don't. selective enforcement benefits no one. tangents are not the same topic.

i am nothing like unkle, and never acted childishly in this thread. my only mistake was continuing the argument after it became obvious unkle didn't want to discuss facts.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i wasn't justifying the "debate." originality kept wanting us to "get on topic," but that was resolved long before i posted, and i pointed it out. if we are going to be such sticklers for staying on topic, the advice should have been posted to a different thread, since it is a different topic. same person, yes. related subject, yes. but a different topic. you're either going to be a stickler, or you're not. you don't get to be selective when it suits you.

What a ridiculous thing to say. I, being pretty reasonable here, thought the point of the OP creating a thread could just as easily be to try to find away to get his emulation working better, aside from the absolute specific subject title/matter of the thread/original post.
And for you to come back here a week after the last post to continue to argue about the semantics or structure of being in the right. *sigh*
Your drawn-out discussion with that guy was not directed toward helping the OP, so why even make a point of challenging my comment?

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I upgraded my GPU today, I might as well ask how my specs would fair against PCSX2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

3 gigs of ram.

Intel Quad Core 2.66 GHz.

Nivida Geforce GT 430

So, how would I far?

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Since I upgraded my GPU today, I might as well ask how my specs would fair against PCSX2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

3 gigs of ram.

Intel Quad Core 2.66 GHz.

Nivida Geforce GT 430

So, how would I far?
I run an almost identical comp except with 6 gigs of ram. I can run Dolphin perfectly, but I can't seem to run PCSX2 at fullspeed...

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
What about this one?

8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1GB
Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 6MB L3 Cache Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90 GHz

For: $689.99

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
speed of emulation with PCSX2 varies dramatically from game to game, it can take a lot of tweaking, or sometimes sacrificing resolution. with a 2.66 GHz quad intel system you should be solid. my previous system was a 2.8 GHz Phenom quad, but the two games i had problems with are games i still have problems with on my 6-core 3.2 GHz Phenom II system. I also had problems running said games (Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2) on an i7 2600K system with 8GB RAM, even on regular resolution. on the other hand I could run FFX or FF12 at increased resolutions without any hiccups..

the laptop you picked should do GREAT but due to what i explained, there will likely be some games which will not run perfectly even at native resolution of PS2. you have to pick and choose, although gamefixes at present are a lot better than they were a year ago.

SAimNE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if anyone is curious about this i can give a better answer. with the standard speedhacks found in pcsx2 you can easily get games running appropriately despite what any intel fanboy will tell you. im running an a6-3420m and enabling use of 3 cores along with a few of the speedhacks enabled i've managed to get pcsx2 running with all of the .hack series(i have encountered a minimal lag when dealing with extremely large dungeon rooms, but nothing effecting gameplay) and monster hunter.... using the apu for both graphics and processing. so overall you may have to tweak it a bit, but you should be able to pull it off.

when trying to get support for the tweaks i used i went to ngemu forums and asked for help.... dont do this.... it's a waste of time because they will just keep telling you to replace your laptop because that's totally a decent sollution for the prob 9_9. anyway just mess with any speedhacks/w/e you have and you should be able to get it to work out.

and about intel performing better in emulation, the only reason the apus have any trouble at all in pcsx2 is that the llano apus are not capable of using ssse3 or sse41. the trinity and up processors on the other hand can utilize these and should see a significant boost, not even including the boost from the actual hardware. so amd apus should be able to handle most pcsx2 emulation.... and im pretty sure the dolphin emulator and pcsx2 requirements are pretty close to each other.

also it's important to note that the mtvu hack only reads as 3 cores. and the 4 cores will split that work among themselves... they will never go above 70% use for the most part. Which means as long as you remember to turn it off afterwards, you can easily use a high overclock using k10stat or amd overdrive... because the processor will never be under full load there will not be as much trouble with heat. with standard cooling in a laptop i can keep it up at 2.4ghz constantly with no problem... i could go higher but the games havent required it yet.

SAimNE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my pc is over a year old.... its from about 2 years back. and i was able to emulate a year ago as well.
(granted at that time i think i was only running FFX. anyway incase someone found the page by google i wanted to make sure they knew the llano mobile processors can handle a lot of games if you tweak around a bit)

Reactions: raulpica

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up