Why can't we trade/buy/sell/gift Downloadable Content?

adrian2040

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Since I'm not from the US, I can't redeem my codes for Call of Duty Classic for the Xbox 360 and the classic maps of Gears of War 2. My country is being seen as Germany, when it is actually Perú. I would like to trade them, but why is it not allowed?

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's way too easy to get scammed.
wink.gif

/end of topic

playallday

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ProtoKun7 said:
Arctic said:
wink.gif

/end of topic
This is really the simplest answer. It's more difficult to deal with virtual content.
Like, say I sell a CoD MW2 Key to ProtoKun7 but I've already used it. Of course he'll be like WTF and report me, but all I have to say is that he himself used the code and is trying to get his money back. Then it would end up being his word vs mine, with no real winners.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Arctic said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Arctic said:
wink.gif

/end of topic
This is really the simplest answer. It's more difficult to deal with virtual content.
Like, say I sell a CoD MW2 Key to ProtoKun7 but I've already used it. Of course he'll be like WTF and report me, but all I have to say is that he himself used the code and is trying to get his money back. Then it would end up being his word vs mine, with no real winners.

Obviously you should both get a temporary one month ban from the trade forum for causing a dispute, regardless to who was telling the truth.

Even then, that's not a great argument towards why it isn't allowed. Sure, it wouldn't be easy to regulate, but would be fairly straight forward as long as it was done between trusted members (even then they could just go outside the trading forum to trade, but still, not everybody goes around sending mass PMs telling people that they're trading things).

playallday

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Law said:
Arctic said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Arctic said:
wink.gif

/end of topic

Obviously you should both get a temporary one month ban from the trade forum for causing a dispute, regardless to who was telling the truth.

Even then, that's not a great argument towards why it isn't allowed. Sure, it wouldn't be easy to regulate, but would be fairly straight forward as long as it was done between trusted members (even then they could just go outside the trading forum to trade, but still, not everybody goes around sending mass PMs telling people that they're trading things).
Well, once I got scammed on Far Cry 2 for $20 via Steam on the trading forum here. And the member had like 300 posts and had been a member for a year as well.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showuser=133743

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Arctic said:
Law said:
Arctic said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Arctic said:
wink.gif

/end of topic

Well, once I got scammed on Far Cry 2 for $20 via Steam on the trading forum here. And the member had like 300 posts and had been a member for a year as well.

when did I say "only trade if they have more than 300 posts and have been here for over 2 years"?

oh, that's right, I didn't. Not to mention even in the regular trades people still get scammed, it's still not a valid reason to completely disallow the trading of digital content.

and why would you think trading steam goods was possible? If it was being gifted, sure, but then you should have said "gift it to me first and allow me to accept it, then I'll put the payment through", and if he didn't trust you, you could have got a third party (staff member) to hold the money until the trade went through.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Arctic said:
Law said:
Arctic said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Arctic said:
wink.gif

/end of topic

I got scammed out of psp games before on the trading forum before so the whole trusted members thing probably wouldn't work.
Edit:He also had positive feedback from a trade before.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Even without the sale/trading/purchasing of virtual content on here, there is still a high risk of scamming people. I got scammed out of a DS Lite and an iTouch DS (They were mine, and I was trading them to him for something). Still, it just resulted in him trying to scam other people, but the people he was trying to scam knew about the incident with me and a few other members that got scammed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do you have the mini radiator cooler? I Jerry rigged a heatsink and 5volt fan from a dead graphics card on mine, but eventually wanna get a real cooler/fan.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pure copper heat sink kit and fans
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't know bout sets, I downloaded all the roms for mine separately.
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"