Why can't we trade/buy/sell/gift Downloadable Content?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by adrian2040, Mar 11, 2010.

1. adrian2040
    OP

Member adrian2040 GBAtemp Fan

Peru
    Since I'm not from the US, I can't redeem my codes for Call of Duty Classic for the Xbox 360 and the classic maps of Gears of War 2. My country is being seen as Germany, when it is actually Perú. I would like to trade them, but why is it not allowed?

2. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    It's way too easy to get scammed. [​IMG]

/end of topic

3. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    This is really the simplest answer. It's more difficult to deal with virtual content.

4. playallday

Canada
    Like, say I sell a CoD MW2 Key to ProtoKun7 but I've already used it. Of course he'll be like WTF and report me, but all I have to say is that he himself used the code and is trying to get his money back. Then it would end up being his word vs mine, with no real winners.

5. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Yes, but I don't play CoD. [​IMG]

6. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    ^ Intentionally missing the point.
    But yeah, it's just too hard to regulate.

7. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Obviously you should both get a temporary one month ban from the trade forum for causing a dispute, regardless to who was telling the truth.

Even then, that's not a great argument towards why it isn't allowed. Sure, it wouldn't be easy to regulate, but would be fairly straight forward as long as it was done between trusted members (even then they could just go outside the trading forum to trade, but still, not everybody goes around sending mass PMs telling people that they're trading things).

8. playallday

Canada
    Well, once I got scammed on Far Cry 2 for $20 via Steam on the trading forum here. And the member had like 300 posts and had been a member for a year as well.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showuser=133743

9. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    when did I say "only trade if they have more than 300 posts and have been here for over 2 years"?

oh, that's right, I didn't. Not to mention even in the regular trades people still get scammed, it's still not a valid reason to completely disallow the trading of digital content.

and why would you think trading steam goods was possible? If it was being gifted, sure, but then you should have said "gift it to me first and allow me to accept it, then I'll put the payment through", and if he didn't trust you, you could have got a third party (staff member) to hold the money until the trade went through.

10. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    I got scammed out of psp games before on the trading forum before so the whole trusted members thing probably wouldn't work.
    Edit:He also had positive feedback from a trade before.

11. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Even without the sale/trading/purchasing of virtual content on here, there is still a high risk of scamming people. I got scammed out of a DS Lite and an iTouch DS (They were mine, and I was trading them to him for something). Still, it just resulted in him trying to scam other people, but the people he was trying to scam knew about the incident with me and a few other members that got scammed.