Hacking Emulation Why cant Vita emulate N64?

• Thread starter SLG
  • Start date
  • Views 1,356
  • Replies 5
  • Likes 1

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
I cant wrap my head around how a simple system like N64 cant be emulated on Vita
There is a vita version of the emulator daedalusx64 which emulates n64 if you didn't know. Now, if what you're asking is why can't the ps vita emulate them at 100% speed and accuracy always: emulation typically follows a formula of "target emulating console has to be 10x times more powerful than console emulated" and that is usually true for all emulators, then it also has to do with code which needs to be written in a way that the console knows, you have to know the ps vita well in order to know which calls to use and how to implement various functions

The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Stupendous Man!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant wrap my head around how a simple system like N64 cant be emulated on Vita

Some games work on the DaedalusX64 emulator, some games don't, and some games get all original ports, like Doom 64EX & Super Mario 64 Vita, which runs at a buttery smooth 60FPS. Definitely download and install DeadalusX64, you'll find it worth your while.

Reactions: tw_fan

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
its not simple... n64 emulation is specific for game titles, we need more than one emulator. n64 is not so easy...
But compared the Wii with n64 emulation, the Vita is better working !

my wanting title -> Doom N64 Alpha Prototype Version on Vita, but this is not working with Daedalus, it only works with 1964 emulator.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/doom-64...ntinuing-streak-of-prototype-releases.623758/

otherwise I have complete done from start to end Donkey Kong N64, Duke Nukem Zero Hour N64. thanks rinne was great !

Perfect Dark and Quake II N64 maybe no need for emulation... Perfect Dark has somewhere a reverse engine code so far I remember and Quake II N64 was original ported to PC on steam or so...

please rinne, Doom N64 Alpha Prototype Version on Vita :)

Last edited by peter8,

Kiiro_Yakumo

Kitsune
Trophies
Website
clash-of-gods.netau.net
XP
Country
Poland
Pfffttt! "Simple" in what sense? If you think it was like "load game to RAM, make math on CPU" then you are so mistaken that calling a meteorite per "planet" would be less of a mistake in comparison. The RAM alone in N64 was as far from the word "simple" as possible. It was mad idea and whoever went with it should apologize to the world. First of all it wasn't RAM like you know from PC, it was different kind, one that can do operations inside relatively fast if memory serves but READING from it or WRITING to it was so slow you could see turtles walking faster. Devs had to use crazy "tricks" when making games for N64 to make them run true to the fact they were not on CD's in other words to ACTUALLY compete with PS1. Calling all of that "simple" is surely funny in sad sense...

EDIT - Oh and before I forget, may I remind you that for many years - more or less everything before mupen64 - was not even an emulator of N64? We can argue if it could be called emulator or not for a few days but technically it wasn't emulating console in proper sense but rather simulating - hence the word I want to use here, "simulator" - by reading what game wants and trying to do that in brutal way. It wasn't emulating hardware properly. How could this be, it's so "simple system", right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That game maybe too violent for your granny tho. Better get Barbies Dream house instead.