Doom 64 alpha build leaks online, continuing streak of prototype releases

dsdfsdf.png

The season for uploading old in-development backup files of video games continues. The latest in the holiday harvest of leaks happens to be an early alpha build of DOOM 64 for the Nintendo 64. The prototype is dated October 12, 1996, with the final build of the game eventually shipping on March 31, 1997. It features early versions of maps that would be changed in the retail release of the game, and a title screen that refers to itself as an "evaluation version". If you've missed the previous leaks, Rayman 4, Duke Nukem Forever, and Super Mario World all saw previously unknown prototype backups made recently.

:arrow: Source

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Would love to see if the cut Egyptian level with the pyramid is in this build

Edit: So it probably is not present in this build, but regardless it's cool to see an early version of my favourite Doom game.

Reactions: eduall

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I suppose this was a press copy

Weird to think the press would have gotten alpha builds in the past (unless evaluation means something else)

Edit: after some more thinking perhaps it was for playtesters

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So it probably is not present in this build
Well, it isn't, but there was some other generally Egyptian maps present in this build

Edit: Ok, so not this build, but this video was from an earlier build than the one that leaked. Still pretty interesting though.

Last edited by Wavy,

johndoegba

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
On which emulator does one run the ROM once they have it? None of them seem to work and show either a black screen, or an error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended