Why Atlus and Xseed never set any European offices

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
This is just pure conjecture on my part but I think the only reason they have an office in the US is to have a team to translate/localize games from Japan and since European releases can pretty much use the same translation/localization for North America, they don't feel a need to set up a whole office there when they can just let their partners handle the release for them.

I'm sure someone out there knows a way better answer than mine but that's how I mainly see it.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atlus have a distribution team in Sega Europe office, As for Xseed they are owned by Japanese company Marvelous, they have an office in Europe.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering why Atlus or Xseed never set any offices in Europe, despite some of its titles got publishing and distribution rights by other companies.
XSEED likely don't have an EU branch because they publish Marvelous games, and they have their own EU offices. Unsure about Atlus though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reasons to set up somewhere else or make a subdivision/franchise/similar setup

Cheaper cost of doing business.
In this case finding continental French translators is harder than you might like in the US where there are one or two in France, even more so if you add in Italian, German, Spanish and maybe look at some of the others that are scarcely represented at all in the US ( https://www.loekalization.com/ has some nice stories) and any that are there are usually medical or patent experts.
I don't know that a programmer in any of those is notably more cheaper than it is in the US and Canada, could be in eastern Europe but we don't tend to see that one.
Taxes and tax breaks for places make it viable.
Legal requirements are easier to fulfil. Be it because lawyers are present there or because there is some law that says those here can do more.
If you are making optical discs or carts and something goes wrong you can wander down to the stamper's/printer's and slap them yourself, and not have to stick it on a plane or rely on photos. Likewise if made within a free trade region (or functionally one) there is also that.
Currency exchange makes it worthwhile, be it avoiding the costs of, stockpiling some during a particularly bad/good period to avoid losses that way and possibly taxes involved with sending things back (see the tax holiday many businesses in the US clamour for, even if it is them dodging it* in the first place).

*standard tech/pharma/chemical product play. Do first design in the US, subcontract to Europe to finish development because cheaper cost of science types, subcontract to build it in Asia because cheap labour, send all the money back home and throw big party because you did not have to pay US labour rates and deal with US environmental regs. The US government knowing this however taxes this money coming back in, hence the companies calling for a tax break on it as they can often end up with millions and millions, if not billions for some, sitting overseas.

There are however overheads, setup costs and probably those that already did it willing to do it for you for a fee/cut (give me a hit game in the US and Japan and fund the production and I will charge a very small fee/demand a very small cut if the risk is that low) so you get to balance it against all that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-