Why are you a fanboy/fangirl?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by ShawnTRods, Dec 7, 2015.

1. ShawnTRods
    OP

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    I am sorry if a topic like this exists. But I personally coudnt find any.

So the question is simple: WHY are you a fanboy/girl?

I will give some examples:

Apple vs Samsung - Why do blindly go for one over the other?

2009, I had a iPhone 3. 2011, I had iPhone 4 and followed by a Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 etc. Since my S3, I have used android up until last month. Ever since I got my Galaxy S3, people bugged the crap out of me about how iPhone is better than android phones.

So, I decided to go for the iPhone 6S. And BOY I REGRET IT! After using it for over a month, I bloody miss my OLD GALAXY S4!

Screen resolution is lower, functionality wise it feels so damn limited, navigating is so basic, browsing through the menus and everything feels so sluggish compared to android.

People who say android is shit probably hasnt tried it since the 2.1 release... The fanboyism is strong with the apple vs samsung.

That was just one example. My question is why the hell do you support a company or product that you pay for so blindly? Why cant people have a more open and unbiased opinion?

I buy products and I am always open minded about it. If a game sucks, I say it sucks. If a console sucks, I say it sucks. But you will see the whole console war.. which is another fanboy war.

I just dont seem to get my head around it. Why have a shitty blind opinion...

2. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I guess I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but I haven't bought any games since a year ago actually. Pokemon Platinum doesn't count, that was a copy I bought in June because I found out my original purchase was a fake. I spent most of the year saving for a custom PC. Now that such a goal was achieved, and going through other payment things, I'm currently saving up for a new monitor. Afterwards, I'm aiming for Xbox One and PS4, broadening the horizons. So I guess that disqualifies me from the fanboy defined by the OP.

When all is said and done, I'll probably have more Nintendo games than others. It's all money for me, that's really what's always kept me behind the console wars, and naturally as a fanboy, I stick to Nintendo. Now for the first time I'm willing to expand because of so many good games I've heard about, and I'm in the position now to work and afford that stuff.

Last edited by RustInPeace, Dec 7, 2015
    HaloEffect17 likes this.
  3. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Well, I wouldn't say I'm a fanboy, because I don't follow a company blindly. The closest thing to a fanboy that I am, is a Nintendo fanboy in that case.
    I mean, I'm an android user, Samsung in my case. I've had a SonyEricsson android phone, it was alright. Since then my dad got a Samsung Galaxy S2, I've got a S4, my mom a S5. They've worked perfectly.
    I've used iPhones many times, and I have an old iPod Touch which isn't bad. But they're not for me. I dislike the lack of a back button, and I despise iTunes.
    There's plenty of shit that I don't like about apple products, but I won't bother with it here. HOWEVER. For a Mac user, or someone who has a whole eco system of Apple products, an iPhone is surely perfect. How everything works together is amazing.

About Nintendo then.
    Everyone seem to hate on Ninty right now. I don't. And I actually like a lot of the things they've done. It feels like they make their games for me.
    No voice chat in Splatoon? Well I hate voice chat, so it doesn't bother me... it actually makes it so that I don't have a disadvantage against my opponents for being afraid of voice chats.
    Mini censoring skimpy outfits for 12 year old characters? Perfectly fine by me. Oh well.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I am not a fangirl, I have a bias towards a company because I grew up on Nintendo, but I don't blindly praise them and believe they are flawless. I see their flaws and honestly a lot of their moves in recent years have really disappointed me, but I still love their products because I grew up on them.
    I am also not exclusive to Nintendo, I also own an Xbox One, Xbox, PS2, ect. and play them regularly.
    I lean towards anything that works for me and I enjoy using.

Ammako and RustInPeace like this.
  5. Jack_Sparrow
    This message by Jack_Sparrow has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Dec 9, 2015, Reason: dont spam tag people please.
    Dec 8, 2015
  6. VinsCool

VinsCool Disgusted

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    An Alternate Reality
    I'm not a fanboy to the proper term of it. I'm a nintendo fan though.

HaloEffect17 and RustInPeace like this.
  7. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    I wouldn't call myself a fanboy, really. I mean, I have brands that I prefer, but I am in no way blind towards certain faults and issues with a brand or product.

For example, I prefer Android phones, specifically Sony Xperia branded ones, however, I don't really recommend them to most people who look for a new phone because there are certainly better alternatives for the money, and will probably just recommend an iPhone to people so I don't have to explain everything. I also quite like V-Moda branded headphones for their excellent build quality and fun sound, however, they may not be for everyone in terms of comfort.

A big reason why we tend to prefer a certain brand is because after you buy a product, you are more likely to defend it since it is the one you chose, it is choice supported bias. From there, you self-identify with a group, the group that chose the same product as you, and it becomes a part of your identity. Or maybe it's because it's a brand that you're familiar with, and you're just more comfortable knowing that. Or you sunk $400 into a specific console, and as a way to cope you believe that it is the right choice in order to justify your purchase. Well, I don't know. Take it as you will. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    I'm no fanboy or what. Imma Gamer. I don't care about the company of the console or who made the game or what. If I like/want to play a game, I just play it.
    Really, it's that simple.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  9. CIAwesome526

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    I used to love apple. I phones iPads, ipods, I had it all. Loved it! It was great! I would defend apple no matter what. But I never really experienced android. Now I have had android for years. I am never going back. Android FTW

10. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    This website is called GBATemp. GBATemp. GBA.
    I think we all know what we are fanboys of.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  11. CIAwesome526

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    I wouldn't call myself a gba fanboy, I like it, of course, but I'm not a fanboy. Maybe a ds fanboy, definitely a nintendo fanboy.

Last edited by CIAwesome526, Dec 8, 2015
  12. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    :PNintendo fanboy was what I was getting at.

13. CIAwesome526

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    Oh.

And when I wrote gbatemp, I meant gba

Deboog likes this.
  14. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Not a Nintendo fanboy since I enjoy games and consoles from Sony and Microsoft as well over the years. I like elements from all of them. While Nintendo will always remain close to my heart, I am very open to other consoles and the unique experiences they provide.

I am an Android fanboy, though. I have one Apple product and I hate their proprietary software that comes tacked on with it. Has always disliked Apple (not as a company, but more directed towards their software), and frankly, always will. Just my opinion.

Last edited by HaloEffect17, Dec 8, 2015
  15. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'm a fanboy on a lot of things.
    Least I don't have the stupidity the vast majority of fanboys have.

16. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Topic: Why are you a fanboy?

Answers:

I love you people. Just read this and it make me smile on a otherwise cloudy day. Thanks! :)

Hayleia likes this.
  17. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Nintendo VS Sony VS Microsoft VS Sega -> I like them all, if you can play a game on it, i love it!
    Samsung VS Apple -> I like the iPads more then any android Tablet / I like the Samsung Phones over any Apple Phone
    Windows VS Linux computer VS MacOS: Custom builds and cheaper / Overpriced (i like any computer, really don't care about windows / Linux or MacOS
    I still preffer my desktop pc over a laptop

China VS Japan VS Korea VS Belgium (Flanders) -> China, cheap knock off stuff / Japan, Love it / Korea, my fav. (cause i'm born in Korea) / I live here, grew up here and even how f***up this country is, i like it!

Earth VS Space -> Space, the moment space travel is there and affordable i'm of this rotten potato globe

Yes!!! i'm a fanboy!!!
    When i like it, i'm a fanboy of it!

18. ShawnTRods
    OP

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    So literally no hardcore blind fanboys on the temp :P?
    I doubt it haha

19. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    YES YES IM A FANBOY!

Im a proud linux user and fanboy.

Ill cut you if you use anything else.

20. ShawnTRods
    OP

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    :tpi:

Flame likes this.
  21. jDSX

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    I am not a fanboy of anything...except for gbatemp. Does that make me a nintendo fanboy :P