Gaming Who uses XP still and why?

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing around with the idea of maybe going back to Windows XP versus staying with Windows 8 and or going back to Windows 7! Every thing runs fine on Windows 8 better than 7 if I had to say. But I was thinking that I would hear from you guys and what your thoughts were on the whole XP is still better than 7 and 8 and please feel free to tell me why! Think of this as the smack down of all smack downs between XP, 7, and 8 and yes source links and information like spec comparisons are very much welcomed here :)

Reactions: 1 person

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Compatibility is the key point, so I have a machine just for them old softwares and games I enjoy. Haven't touch Win 8 to vouch for it, but Win 7 haven't given me any problems what so ever, save for some odd old stuff, plus 64bit system.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have Win XP on my desktop PC for a couple of reasons.

One are the progams used for hacking/modding 6th gen consoles etc.
One is for burning XGD3 games.
the other reason is, old games that don't run on 7 smoothly.

And maybe some other.

Sly 3 4 me

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This computer has two partitions, one of Windows 7, and one for Windows XP. Both work close to the same compatibility, but the Windows XP one does not have any decent drivers for my WLAN card, meaning it is difficult for me to do anything along the lines of browsing, downloading things, or gaming. In the long run I enjoy Windows 7 a bit more (even without noting the wireless driver that actually works correctly). After disabling the UAC, and optimizing a few services it runs with the same performance as I'd receive with Windows XP.

Edit: The computer is 9 years old. :lol:

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still have XP on the desktop that is sitting in my garage, detached from the world. My wife's laptop and my work PC are both on 7 so I guess I was forced to make the switch...

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
I still use XP eventhough I have brand new unopened quad core rig with Windows 7 on it, I just can't be bothered to transfer everything over
Besides I hate change -- still use IE8 because I can't be bothered to use Chrome or any other browser

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMAO Vista?! really...did you say Vista? lol sorry if I'm in hysterics, I know Vista has supposedly seen a ton of improvements but its still crap!

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XP is still the only system that is fully compatible with a ton of awesome old 90s games like Alpha Centauri and Mechwarrior.
I'm actually buying a WXP machine just to play a few of the old games without having to mess around with things in Win7.

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
LMAO Vista?! really...did you say Vista? lol sorry if I'm in hysterics, I know Vista has supposedly seen a ton of improvements but its still crap!
Well with 8 and 7 all you have to do is run it in compatibility mode simple!

I don't think you really know what you're talking about.

Vista is still fine, aside that it needs a somewhat potent computer to run on.
Compatibility mode usually only works if an application has a hard-coded OS-version check, that can't properly detect newer versions of Windows. It doesn't magically make old games with DirectX, driver and kernel issues work with just a flip of a checkbox.

Reactions: 3 people

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well with 8 and 7 all you have to do is run it in compatibility mode simple!

I don't think you really know what you're talking about.

Vista is still fine, aside that it needs a somewhat potent computer to run on.
Compatibility mode usually only works if an application has a hard-coded OS-version check, that can't properly detect newer versions of Windows. It doesn't magically make old games with DirectX, driver and kernel issues work with just a flip of a checkbox.
This, and some games have CPU calls that were tweaked to work in XP, but they don't work in W7. This leads to overheating and other undesirable effects.

Reactions: 1 person

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This, and some games have CPU calls that were tweaked to work in XP, but they don't work in W7. This leads to overheating and other undesirable effects.

Yep. A lot of game developers used "shady" hacks to overcome some limitations of Win9x's graphics and CPU subsystem which only worked on that specific version of Windows. XP uses and upgraded Win 2k kernel, which was totally different from 9x, hence most of those hacks broke with Win 2000 (and subsequent releases).

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Vista is a fine operating system now. Would I recommend it over 7? No. Would I recommend it over XP? Maybe if your PC could handle it.

My school's computers still run XP, so I use it there. Other than that most of the PCs in my house run Windows 7 although I have a Windows XP VM on mine for when I want to play some games that run like crap on 7.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative