Who still uses their old HDTV LCD/Plasma TVs after all these years?

annah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 43" Samsung Series 4+ F4500 plasma TV from 2013. I picked it up for free 1 year ago. It still has 1 RGB SCART-input as well as 1x component and 2xHDMI. The panel has a low resolution of 1024x768, but it's fine for me as most of the time I play PS1/PS2/Wii/OG Xbox on it. Sometimes I watch a YouTube or Netflix video on it which is fine too. coreball
I'm planning to buy one from an acquaintance. Thank you.

Reactions: Fien

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was using a 2012 Panasonic (1080p) panel until end of last year. It had a good picture at the time and scart, component, HDMI but no Wi-Fi or smart apps so I used my PS3 for movies, Netflix and YouTube etc.

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm using a Panasonic TX-P60ZT60E in our Living Room, it's my Main TV and my Display for Steam Deck and my Switch.
My Game Room has a Panasonic TX-P42STW50, it was my first Plasma :)

So..... we only have Plasmas ^_^ :toot:

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was using a 2012 Panasonic (1080p) panel until end of last year. It had a good picture at the time and scart, component, HDMI but no Wi-Fi or smart apps so I used my PS3 for movies, Netflix and YouTube etc.
Don't you have an Android TV Box? Install SmartTubeNext and you'll have a vastly superior YT experience than on the official app.

Spring_Spring

Not Exactly Spotless
Trophies
Website
spring-enterprises.neocities.org
XP
Country
Denmark
I've gotten a Philips brand cheap tv/monitor in 2012, still working perfectly to this day, in fact it is turned on all day long on random TV channels for background noises at home, and it has been serving that purpose for all that time without any issue still today.
I definitely won't replace it until it stops working, which could be tomorrow or in 10 years.
Think of the Voyager spacecrafts, same deal, lol
You're even using black and white commodore monitor.

Spring_Spring

Not Exactly Spotless
Trophies
Website
spring-enterprises.neocities.org
XP
Country
Denmark
No, I don't have such a thing, they are colour CRT monitors.
Whoops, I was wrong 💙

Well they must be great if they still work. Probably nothing released today will work after 40 years. Of course its helps that its simpler.

I was surprised to discover that I didn't even have a TV that worked with my PS2 anymore. So I sold the latter.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Whoops, I was wrong 💙

Well they must be great if they still work. Probably nothing released today will work after 40 years. Of course its helps that its simpler.

I was surprised to discover that I didn't even have a TV that worked with my PS2 anymore. So I sold the latter.
They indeed still work great considering they were made in the 80's :P

Essometer

Needs data
Trophies
Website
none.de
XP
Country
Germany
Still using my 50’ Plasma from Samsung bought new in I think 2010. It’s a PS50C687 and still going strong. Just 1080p but don’t see a need to upgrade currently, hate the smart TV bullshit, just give me the inputs.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Using plasma TV from 2012. Picture way better than LCDs. OLED might be able to take over now… but…

Newer TVs are just :shit:! No analog inputs for old gaming consoles, VHS recorders, DVD players and similar. Mandatory "smart" BS included. Huge Netflix button on the remote you will press against your will more often than anything else. Super thin, no room for any loudspeakers, which could be called loudspeakers ("Buy a thick, ugly and stupid soundbar for extra money!"). Flatscreen TVs have never been great in the sound part – compared to rear projectors or top class CRTs – but thin-like-a-piece-of-paper TVs are even worse than earlier (less) flat models.

What I need is a huge monitor with excellent picture quality regarding games and movies. Not even TV receiver (cable, satellite) and sure no WiFi, apps, streaming or anything else. Just multiple HDMI and some analog inputs instead of "Buy a stupid upscaler, which costs additional money and introduces lag despite promised otherwise!".

Only problem on the plasma is that HDMI ports 1 and 4 suddenly stopped working (no connector problem). I hope it can be repaired.
Dedicated upscalers introduce far less lag & have better picture quality than the built in upscaler on LCD TVs with analog inputs.

Reactions: kineticUk

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dedicated upscalers introduce far less lag & have better picture quality than the built in upscaler on LCD TVs with analog inputs.
This will probably depend on the actual upscaler and the actual TV. And it assumes that the modern TV does not show any noteworthy delay at the HDMI input.
Besides: I've never considered using an LCD for a TV. At least in the past they just sucked regarding picture quality¹ for movies and games (good for office work). Next TV will probably be an OLED model.

I should try to find out about latency/delay on my plasma before it gives up the ghost. Maybe if a phone supports high speed camera/slow motion function connecting an NES to a CRT and the plasma simultaneously could reveal potential problems. At least the practical usability is okay: I can play NES on the plasma (game mode on) as well as Wii U, but fall with game mode off.

¹ And then somebody comes around and tells how much better LCDs have become, worships "IPS" and emphasizes how good theirs in particular is and how stupid I am for having my opinion. I've recently looked at the demonstration units in retail stores… and LCDs still seem to suck. Admittedly very heavily illuminated shops with a garbage input signal distributed to 100 TVs in full brightness presentation mode aren't the best way to judge. But the OLED models still beat the LCDs at first glance – just like the plasmas did back then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed