Who still uses their old HDTV LCD/Plasma TVs after all these years?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got an LG LCD 32" FullHD reportedly made in 2009 and I bought it around 2012-13, and it's still going strong. Quite like the picture quality and the built-in speakers aren't bad at all. Plus, it has a feature which I boot up the PS3 and the TV boots up itself, that's pretty neat.

It does have one tiny dead pixel, but it never bothered me.

Meanwhile, newer TVs seem to be less reliable and its users are somewhat happy buying one yearly, like it's an iPhone or something. I don't get it, a TV is supposed to last for years.

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a Sharp Aquos I got in 2012. Love the picture quality. It's one of those RGBY models that supposedly don't actually do anything extra, but it still looks really nice.

Unfortunately, it started dying this year - turning off randomly after heating up. After reading up on it, I replaced some optoisolators and it should be good for another 10 years.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Using plasma TV from 2012. Picture way better than LCDs. OLED might be able to take over now… but…

Newer TVs are just :shit:! No analog inputs for old gaming consoles, VHS recorders, DVD players and similar. Mandatory "smart" BS included. Huge Netflix button on the remote you will press against your will more often than anything else. Super thin, no room for any loudspeakers, which could be called loudspeakers ("Buy a thick, ugly and stupid soundbar for extra money!"). Flatscreen TVs have never been great in the sound part – compared to rear projectors or top class CRTs – but thin-like-a-piece-of-paper TVs are even worse than earlier (less) flat models.

What I need is a huge monitor with excellent picture quality regarding games and movies. Not even TV receiver (cable, satellite) and sure no WiFi, apps, streaming or anything else. Just multiple HDMI and some analog inputs instead of "Buy a stupid upscaler, which costs additional money and introduces lag despite promised otherwise!".

Only problem on the plasma is that HDMI ports 1 and 4 suddenly stopped working (no connector problem). I hope it can be repaired.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using an old 2008 Sony Bravia. I love this thing, i've only had issues with it once which was when the Tcon board shit itself, but that was a quick fix. It has a nice range of analog inputs and hdmi, so its basically perfect for what I want. I do have an older 480p plasma which I like but I don't use very often.
I do have a newer TV but I rarely use the thing, but its just before TVs went to shit with forced smart garbage, so It still has component inputs and isn't thinner than a laptop.

Last edited by Anxiety_timmy,

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
I have a Sharp Aquos that has component and rca inputs (along with hdmi). It's 1080p and I've had it since 2009 I believe. It works fine. I still use it for video gaming systems that are limited to 1080p or less and have component cables. It has a total of two component inputs and my stereo receiver has another two. I also have a TCL 55" 4k HDR HDTV that I picked up a couple years ago when we got the covid money.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Samsung 55" 3D HDTV from 2012. It's still great as far as I'm concerned.. watching 3D Blurays with the glasses still blows my mind.

If it does die I guess I'll finally upgrade to 4K.

Reactions: spilo

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
All our TVs are LCDs far as I'm aware. I THINK there's a huge CRT in the garage..? But I'm not sure anymore. Anyhow, we mostly used Insignia TVs (in fact my current TV is an insignia) but now our biggest TV (I think it's 4K?) is this red brand we found on amazon. I can't remember the name now, damn it! Starts with an E I think. Emerge? Eh, I don't know. Either way it kinda SUCKS compared to the older Insignia TVs, buuuut we can't just get a "good" TV these days without it having some fucking bullshit "smartness" built-in. I don't WANT the roku/fireTV/chromecast whatever the fuck to be part of the TV itself, I want that to be a separate box/dongle god damn it!!

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I've gotten a Philips brand cheap tv/monitor in 2012, still working perfectly to this day, in fact it is turned on all day long on random TV channels for background noises at home, and it has been serving that purpose for all that time without any issue still today.
I definitely won't replace it until it stops working, which could be tomorrow or in 10 years.
Think of the Voyager spacecrafts, same deal, lol

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still have a Samsung F4500 plasma 720p TV (2013) since it's the only display I have left that has composite/component for older consoles without any HDMI.

Everything else I would use my LG 27GR95QE-B WOLED monitor.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Had a flatscreen Sony CRT for my retro consoles, but it died on me about a year ago. Replaced it with a 27" Dell LCD monitor from the early 2000s that has composite input. Picture isn't quite as crisp, but the size and weight are obviously a lot more convenient.

What I'd really like is to figure out how to output other systems on PSOne's flip-up display. It's crazy how clean that image is.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm actually going to start using my old 720p 26" Sony from 2007(?) Soon in a spare room.

I only really use that room for VR and light background TV when working, so I'm it's good enough.

I also have my old svga Compaq/HP monitor from 2004 which I use for retro stuff, but I need to find another old NEC one I should have somewhere as I'm hoping it can handle 15khz signals.

Plus, it has a feature which I boot up the PS3 and the TV boots up itself, that's pretty neat

AFAIK That's just a feature of HDMI-CEC, so other brands with the feature should also work, although the Xbone also does something but IIRC thats with IR.
Meanwhile, newer TVs seem to be less reliable and its users are somewhat happy buying one yearly, like it's an iPhone or something. I don't get it, a TV is supposed to last for years.

I can't comment on the reliability rate, only anecdotally it doesn't seem that bad with most faults being OOTB and only the occasional within the first year return/repair.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if allot of people are upgrading sooner because of two reasons:
1) TVs are ridiculously cheap now, I was looking at potentially getting a 32" but then realised a 43" wasn't that much more.

2) Functionality pushing people to upgrade, especially smart functionality

Personally I do think the latter is stupid if true, but I do know people who insist demand an AIO smart device. My personal advice to anyone buying a smart TV is 'buy a decent TV first, smart device second, since the latter can always be added later', but some people treat additional cables like an arachnophobic treats a spider, even if it's hidden.

That said, when I accidentally broke my previous TV, I did take the opportunity to upgrade to a set which has features like higher refresh rates and Dolby Vision support, still use my 'old' Shield TV though.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mandatory "smart" BS included.
I wish there was a way to install an OS which removes that bullshit. I'd rather use an Android TV Box than the apps on the TV.

Most people love it for convenience, but I'd prefer a standard TV experience.

And the Netflix/Disney+/etc buttons, I can always paint them black and pretend they don't exist.
Post automatically merged:

Been using a Vizio E422AR. I've had it for a bit over 10 years iirc, it still works just fine so I don't see a need to replace it. 🤷‍♀️
TVs nowadays come with apps or in other terms, bloatware. I'd prefer a clean OS over an OS with junk.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My brother has a plasma he got for not a lot when the supermarket were giving them away for not a lot at one point. Not a bad little thing but the latency is a bit suspect (quite the difference when I shove it on my nice TN panel). Resolution not the best but the colours are pretty nice.

I got given a plain old dumb LCD a while back. You can see it in https://gbatemp.net/review/analogue-pocket-gb-gbc-and-gba-handheld-fpga-based-player.2081/ actually.

Have another in the shed/workshop I got given (was previously a garage TV) and use for a large screen for the laser if I need to edit something and the netbook screen I usually run the laser with is going to be annoying for it. Occasionally soldering diagrams.

Marginally related at this point but something that surprised me to see so going here as well. Generic CRT TV mainboard replacements are available it seems

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marginally related at this point but something that surprised me to see so going here as well. Generic CRT TV mainboard replacements are available it seems
I had a Samsung CRT HDTV which would have been great for component gaming, but the friggin' TV was insanely heavy so I had to dispose of it as shipping it would have been too expensive.

Kids today will probably never know how good and bad (e.g. weight) CRT TVs were since all they see are HDTVs unless they look it up.

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a 43" Samsung Series 4+ F4500 plasma TV from 2013. I picked it up for free 1 year ago. It still has 1 RGB SCART-input as well as 1x component and 2xHDMI. The panel has a low resolution of 1024x768, but it's fine for me as most of the time I play PS1/PS2/Wii/OG Xbox on it. Sometimes I watch a YouTube or Netflix video on it which is fine too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1