Who lives in Cali?

epicelite

Equal opportunity ass kicker.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a friend in Long Beach who tells me there are plenty of jobs?
I dunno hard to believe as there are no jobs where I live in Georgia. NONE.

He wants me to move down there, says I can get a place ON THE BEACH for $800/mo including utilities!?
Not a big place mind you, but I am only one man so I don't need a huge place.

So anyway maybe you can confirm/deny some of his claims?

I really want to move out of my parents house, and might as well get as far away as I possible can while I am at it.

Oh Really?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, how many bedrooms?
I live in sacramento and we pay 1300 a month for 3 bed 2 bath so 800 for a small place would seem right o_o

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
California has no jobs unless you have Silicon Valley talent or you are an experienced businessman and the state government is completely out of money. I cannot tell you about the cost of living because I haven't lived there since the mid 90's.

epicelite

Equal opportunity ass kicker.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
California has no jobs unless you have Silicon Valley talent or you are an experienced businessman and the state government is completely out of money. I cannot tell you about the cost of living because I haven't lived there since the mid 90's.

I am not asking for a big job, I mean like working at a grocery store stocking shelves or some crap.
unsure.gif

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
epicelite said:
Hop2089 said:

I am not asking for a big job, I mean like working at a grocery store stocking shelves or some crap.
unsure.gif

I doubt that will pay the rent not in California, the cost of living is too high unless you had a partner or roommate.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
Those kind of jobs are really hard to find too.

The only reason is because employers want employees 30 and over because they are more productive than younger workers. Unless you have highly specialized skills in fields such as engineering, technology (they hire younger workers in western states if you have the skills), and the Health Care field.

Synchromatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Though I'm not incredibly useful when subjects such as these pop up, I do know that it is incredibly expensive to live in California. I've had friends that had to move out of state because it was so expensive. If I were you, I would research the house/apartment, and the area that you will be living in, to see what jobs are available.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cali has (as the user said above me) higher living expenses. The houses are really expensive even though they aren't necessarily worth it. Gas prices (or at least they were) are higher than a lot of other states. Sales tax is almost 10% (the highest among the states).

So yes, even if there were available jobs, the cost of living is pretty darn high.

And no, from what I know, there are no 800/mo houses by the beach. The houses by the beach are even more pricier.

Myke

so tasty!
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
yeah that sounds about right for down in Long beach (lived there for a year), iuf you find a 1 bedroom for 800, that means you will be in the ghetto. Don't go there XD.
Now I'm living in sacramento. I'm paying 1000 a month for a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house with garage, front and back yard

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just moved back here and this is comparing to coming away from Kentucky a few weeks ago.

Food = cheaper, at least in so. calif. as there's like 6+ markets and they're all in a pissing contest so they have slasher deals + their already low cut stuff if you use their lame 'store card' before you pay.
Gas = 40-50cents/gal more expensive
Utilities = Gas cheaper, electric also cheaper but keep in mind KY is semi-swamp for some months, sub-zero for a few others so the ac/heat runs nearly year around. Water, I think is slightly higher have not been billed yet but hear it's fair (figure maybe $10-20 more a month.

General entertainment...theaters more expensive, retail entertainment (tv, games, etc) the same.

Rent = HIGHLY more expensive, $800/mo may get you into a slummy area in a smaller place that's probably one of those projects if you make under X income and if you ever go one penny over they toss your ass once the year on the contract is up. It's cheaper to get a mortgage or mortgage+HOA (which I have) if you're going to live here and I'm like 5mi or so (crow flies) from the beach in northern san diego county. Oh and on rent, 3 spots down mind you with +1 bedrooms(3total) it rents that condo out at 1350/mo which is standard, and I'm paying over 400 less owning this.

I'm sure something is missed, but really rent, gas are the worst, water slightly higher than midwest area, but other stuff is same or less so it's a tradeoff. The only other suck thing is going from a 6% sales tax to 9.25% which is lame.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i know a lot of people who pay 800$ a month for a shithole 1bedroom apartment with filthy neighbors if you're looking for a decent apartment in the Los Angeles area(you said Long Beach)then expect to pay 1000$+ anything lower then that you aren't gonna live in the greatest areas.As for getting jobs a lot of people are misinformed there are a lot of jobs available its just people dont want to do them...everyday i see help wanted signs all over Los Angeles county.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up +1