Who do you main in Super Smash Brothers?

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't play: Zelda, Samus/ZSS, Fox/Falco, Kirby/Meta Knight/DeDeDe, Lucario/Jigglypuff/Pikachu/Greninja, Cloud, Ryu, Sonic, Pac-man, R.O.B., Pit/Dark Pit, Wii Fit, Mii Fighter(s), or Rosalina--unless someone continually picks those characters.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Within game theory there is the concept of strategies. Restricting myself to one character then restricts the available strategies available to you*. It is not like it is a complex game so why then restrict my possible strategies?

*this may depend upon how you define a game, being the whole thing running on a system, a given match, a tournament or something else.
In most cases, i would agree. In the case of some fighting games, Smash in particular, It is better to focus on using a single character to better yourself with him/her than to play multiple characters and not perfect yourself with any of them. Since i devote all of my time to Ganondorf in Project M, i know all of his functions and limitations, his best movement options, ect. I feel as though game theory in this case applies when facing an enemy rather than choosing a fighter. If i face Bowser all day as Ganonorf, I will only know how to fight Bowser. By facing every character, i know to face each person. For example, by facing each character, i know that i can chain grab Bowser,Dedede at almost any percent, can chain grab the space animals at very high percents, and can never chain grab mewtwo/kirby/jigs but can follow up with a b-air or u-air.
Game theory applies here but i think in the opposite way.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I doubt that. *STARES AT SIGNATURE* :blink:
Have you played PM Snake? He is a blast! There is almost nothing more satisfying than sleep dart -> C4 -> grab -> f-throw off stage -> detonate C4 -> f-air -> taunt :creep:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Smash in particular? I would have placed it as only just ahead of international karate in terms of truly noticeable differences between characters as a whole. Sure you have light and heavy ones but you also have items which approximate that, and the damage model means everybody sees that sooner or later.
Compared to something like Tekken, Soul Calibur or or virtua fighter smash brothers might as well be dynasty warriors npcs.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smash in particular? I would have placed it as only just ahead of international karate in terms of truly noticeable differences between characters as a whole. Sure you have light and heavy ones but you also have items which approximate that, and the damage model means everybody sees that sooner or later.
Compared to something like Tekken, Soul Calibur or or virtua fighter smash brothers might as well be dynasty warriors npcs.
Items? I never play with items. Yuck.
I don't know how much you watch competitive Smash Brothers but after following the scene for multiple years now, you begin to catch on to how each character is played. The best example i can think of is Fox and Falco. They are just clones right? The same? Yes, but the way they are played competitively is very different. Yes you have your character arch types but their complexity can go much deeper.
I can not play Falcon to save my life. Even though he and Ganon are clones, they are played differently enough to be different. I am mainly referring to PM in this case but it applies to multiple characters.

Last edited by Stephano,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Items? I never play with items. Yuck.
I don't know how much you watch competitive Smash Brothers but after following the scene for multiple years now, you begin to catch on to how each character is played. The best example i can think of is Fox and Falco. They are just clones right? The same? Yes, but the way they are played competitively very differently. Yes you have your character arch types but their complexity can go much deeper.
I can not play Falcon to save my life. Even though he and Ganon are clones, they are played differently enough to be different. I am mainly referring to PM in this case but it applies to multiple characters.
I find competitive smash a complete farce -- the rules, the tournament setups, the banning of certain characters only to reinstate them when someone comes up with a counter later. All abysmal every time I drill into them. I follow them somewhat but only to have a good giggle at the ineptitude of it all.

"how characters are played". Did you see the neural network AI beat them the other month? See also the previous comment about the banned characters. Smash is a woefully underdeveloped scene, one hobbled by the ineptitude of those trying to create it.

Items? They are in the game, might as well try them out from time to time.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find competitive smash a complete farce -- the rules, the tournament setups, the banning of certain characters only to reinstate them when someone comes up with a counter later. All abysmal every time I drill into them. I follow them somewhat but only to have a good giggle at the ineptitude of it all.

"how characters are played". Did you see the neural network AI beat them the other month? See also the previous comment about the banned characters. Smash is a woefully underdeveloped scene, one hobbled by the ineptitude of those trying to create it.

Items? They are in the game, might as well try them out from time to time.
The only smash character that was ever banned was Metaknight in Brawl. I personally like to think Brawl doesn't exist. And i don't see how (Smash) its different than other games played competitively. There are players, spectators, commentators, prizes, ect. Although i don't see why you are referring to competitive smash as buffoonery. What makes one competitive game different from another aside from rules?

Yes i have, and it absolutely fascinating. The competitive seen has been around for 1.5 decades. I would hardly say its woefully underdeveloped. Since Melee didn't have the luxury of standard rules from the start, people had to create their own. If these rules make it better for those that play the game competitively than great. Sometimes there are changes to rules that people don't like (A big example being Hyrule Castle being banned in 64) but in the same vain, there are patches in games that people are not happy with. The fact that the seen was built from nothing does not show ineptitude in my opinion, but rather passion for something people really seem to like. If these people were inept, the seen would have died off years ago. Heck, it almost did when Brawl was released.

Its a personal opinion. I don't like playing with items. I have less fun with them.

Last edited by Stephano,

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
64 Kirby/Mario
Melee No mains maybe Mario or Link
Brawl Pikachu/Pokémon Trainer
Project M Waahh-rio/Mario/Link
3DS/U Lucina/DK/Rosalina/Mario
Smash Flash 2 - Bandana Dee/Marth/Zelda

Last edited by AutumnWolf,
Reactions: Stephano

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only smash character that was ever banned was Metaknight in Brawl. I personally like to think Brawl doesn't exist. And i don't see how (Smash) its different than other games played competitively. There are players, spectators, commentators, prizes, ect. Although i don't see why you are referring to competitive smash as buffoonery. What makes one competitive game different from another aside from rules?

Yes i have, and it absolutely fascinating. The competitive seen has been around for 1.5 decades. I would hardly say its woefully underdeveloped. Since Melee didn't have the luxury of standard rules from the start, people had to create their own. If these rules make it better for those that play the game competitively than great. Sometimes there are changes to rules that people don't like (A big example being Hyrule Castle being banned in 64) but in the same vain, there are patches in games that people are not happy with. The fact that the seen was built from nothing does not show ineptitude in my opinion, but rather passion for something people really seem to like. If these people were inept, the seen would have died off years ago. Heck, it almost did when Brawl was released.

Its a personal opinion. I don't like playing with items. I have less fun with them.
There are things which have been around for centuries and millennia, does not make them correct/good at what they do. There are things people have spent decades learning, still does not make it good.

I am all for creating a sub set of rules within a game, however the ones I see tend to be reactionary and don't allow things to achieve equilibrium. If their goal is to just make a small spectacle for their competition and spare some risk of having it be boring wash as someone with a new and shocking technique wipes the floor with them then so be it, however I can't personally get to considering that a laudable activity.

I covered some of my misgivings with the tournaments, however I should probably look closer into the tournament setups with the seeds, progression and whatever else (again at best they are there to promote their contest) as a lot of what I have ever seen was not even in the same physical plane as awful -- there is scope for some debate about what items, stages... are within a given game and how they should play out but competition design itself has been well understood for decades and workable for a lot longer. I would consider "metagame" but I mainly only go into that to laugh at the weakness of it all among the players.
The one where the guy was accused of holding back on a lesser contest some time ago. Assuming they did one wonders if it even counts as a kind of malfeasance but assuming it did the reasoning, "investigation" and resulting conclusions ought to have been laughed at. That would be another example of the incompetence I see underpinning it all.

The broken controller thing more recently amused. You see these sorts of things from time to time and while I would like to have seen something made ahead of time as it was kind of foreseeable I will not bebrudge them having to sort it on the day. All the rationale and reasoning, despite almost being offensive to the concept, that resulted there... wow.
Speaking of controllers then I did also enjoy the variability in controllers discussions.... blind leading the blind they were.

If people want to create a competitive scene around a smash brothers game or the franchise then more power to them, however what I have seen of the ones which exist are shockingly poor and barring a serious shakeup and reworking, starting with them showing that they know game theory and competition design, I can't take them seriously.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, there was a power outage while you were sleeping?