Hacking White Ds tends to crack? Who knew?

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just read some of the information about warrenty and it's too late to call -.-
The only question I have left is calling there hotline. Do you guys think they'll charge me when I complain about how the DS has somehow cracked on the topright corner? Or is it toll free?(It doesn't say it's toll free in the book)

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kevenka said:
The only question I have left is calling there hotline. Do you guys think they'll charge me when I complain about how the DS has somehow cracked on the topright corner? Or is it toll free?(It doesn't say it's toll free in the book)

It's toll free and they know damn well about the crack, but unless the top screen is nonfunctional or it came off halfway, they won't replace it. The crack is considered cosmetic damage and is therefore not under warranty.

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Got it shipped with fedex. They said the warrenty covered it only b/c I told them I never dropped it so. Just a little FYI for those who may want to get that checked
biggrin.gif

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DeMoN said:
It's not because of the color, it's because the white DS Lites are the older versions, so they're more likely to crack. If you get a newer color, it's less likely to crack.
Yes, some of the white DS are older (only about 1 year) so thats why (You can get it fixed here.). If you have cracked hinges you can get them fixed for free (By Nintendo, only 1st year),

"Nintendo has confirmed the defect, but claim the percentage of such flaws is only 0.02% of all Nintendo DS Lites sold. Repairs for cracked hinges are now covered under the Nintendo warranty and will be fixed free of charge."

All info from wikipedia. Long live wikipedia!

FreshSoul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
science said:
Really.. why is it only the white ones? Maybe white is weak. Red is strong?

Its their way of making fun of americans... lol jk

Iunno, what do you guys do to your ds? Cant just be normal wear and tear

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really believe it is a defect b/c I never dropped it...yet it cracked? Wth is up with that? Fateastray, you might want to see if your warrenty still covers that
biggrin.gif

lewjay

Trophies
XP
Country
I tend to close and open the lid with my left hand. Had the ds lite since launch and my left hinge been cracked for a while. Right now it's just an excuse to shop for a new case.

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was already aware of this, and advised all my friends not to buy a white.
Of course, not all are flawed, but the hinge problem is most common in whites. In fact, I have a cracked hinge on my launch DS Lite, as well as a dead pixel, not to mention that my screen displays a green shade.

Jack-Of-Trades

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dam this makes me highly want to never get a DS...

I dropped by GBA SP quite a few times (about 20 or so 2-3 foot falls) (bed to hardwood floor)

And it has no damage to the hinge and barely any scratch marks at all...

Nintendo needs to stop thinking Light (Bad pun intended) and go back to making the stuff last longer than a year....

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
kevenka said:

It's toll free and they know damn well about the crack, but unless the top screen is nonfunctional or it came off halfway, they won't replace it. The crack is considered cosmetic damage and is therefore not under warranty.
Well, when my hinge cracked (Black DSL, I was astounded) it quickly stopped holding the upper screen in place and thus making it kind of hard to use since it kept closing if the DS was held upwards and there wasn't a possibility to have it halfway open. I really don't think this can count as a cosmetic-only damage. Also if anybody wants to know, the hinge was on the right side, right next to the LEDs.

Wightslayer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have a white DSL, back of the hinge is coming apart, loose volume button, screen coming apart a bit, hinge moves side to side. Less than a year. My sister has had hers (black) over a year and it still works.

Posts merged

Have a white DSL, back of the hinge is coming apart, loose volume button, screen coming apart a bit, hinge moves side to side. Less than a year. My sister has had hers (black) over a year and it still works.

PBC

What!? I can change this??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Never a problem with my Onyx DS. Have had it for more then 2+ years and used it quite extensively. Its my MP3 player, movie player, game player of course...homebrew of every kind...many gaming hours.

I flip the thing around in the air like a toy...I drop it constantly.
It slides across my dashboard and onto the ground while I'm driving in the car...
still nothing ever wrong.

I hear often of white ds problem, hinge cracks, touch screen issues, display issues.

Even hitler would agree that white is inferior to black in this case.

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wightslayer said:

Posts merged

All this appeared on my black DSL, I really have no idea what kind of shitty manufacture line it was from.

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lol at MAg,
Anyways, Nintendo just recently got mine and repaired it so I should receive my DS back by the 16. (1 and a half weeks with a DS is very boring -.-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY