Hacking Where to get a firmware 4.5 or below 3DS XL?

Witchdokter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just refuse to leave the store until they exchange it. This works especially well when i make my wife do it. They'll never call the cops on a girl!

i am going back tomorrow, i already tried the nice way, so now it is going the hard way. i found a document form the ''consumentenbond''(Consumers Association) which says that when promises about the prodcut made by the store turn to be untrue that i am entiteled to a refund. and since the promised me that they hadn't updated the system version(that i had asked before buying it), which they had because the box had a 2013© while the 7.1 patch which was on it got released in 2014, beside that i know of the serial number that it should be below 4.5, only other explaination would have been that they had sold it somewone patched it and returned it, but they told me so firmly that the wouldn't accept returns of hardware so how could that be possible.

besides this i still have the point of getting an unsealed box which i could use. i might leave eventually if they won't exchange it (however i might say i will stay until they exchange it as a bluff) but i won't go without them having to read their entire returning policy out loud to me.

SaggyBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you are looking for a 4.1 to 4.5 3DS XL I would recommend looking for a mario kart 7 bundle. I purchased one earlier this year and it had firmware 4.3. From what i've read online, all mario kart 7 bundles should be <4.5 as long as they are sealed. I believe there are other bundles that are firmware 4.5 and lower so that might yield better results than relying solely on the serial numbers alone.. especially if it is not a sealed unit.

Witchdokter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you are looking for a 4.1 to 4.5 3DS XL I would recommend looking for a mario kart 7 bundle. I purchased one earlier this year and it had firmware 4.3. From what i've read online, all mario kart 7 bundles should be <4.5 as long as they are sealed. I believe there are other bundles that are firmware 4.5 and lower so that might yield better results than relying solely on the serial numbers alone.. especially if it is not a sealed unit.

yep, learned that the hard way, problem is that there aren't that many bundels left in the EU i think.

SaggyBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yep, learned that the hard way, problem is that there aren't that many bundels left in the EU i think.

Mine was purchased from a pharmacy store that also sells some electronics.. try to keep an eye open when in smaller shops that sell these types of things. I'm guessing not too many people go to a pharmacy store to buy a 3DS so it was sitting on the shelf for 2 years :yay:

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't suppose any stores near you still have any of those?

A local Walmart store had like four of them left at the beginning of April, but at the time I had no need for another 3DS so I passed by them... now that I need another 4.x unit I'm really regretting that, I called every Walmart in town (since I forget which one exactly had them) and nobody has any bundles left. I see a few being sold on eBay, all from Canada ironically, so if some stores there have overstock I would gladly pay for someone to get me a MK7 bundle... that way I get a free game too.

On that note, for non-bundles, the lowest I've seen anymore is a serial starting with 1336. I remember it's that because I thought it was funny how it was one off of 1337. That's out of the range sadly. I could check the UPCs but I think it wouldn't be worth even trying to buy it as there's like a 95% chance it will have 5.1 or newer.

Abi91pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi, I'm planning to buy my first 3DS (my DS Lite decided it's time to move on...). I found a few promising ones on my country's ebay
counterpart such as brand new regular 3DS blue, black, pink and white, used XLs with slight damage to top or touch screen and brand new Mario Kart bundle (though this one is expensive).
I have two questions:
1. Anybody knows safe serial numbers for european regular 3DS?
2. Are those damages dangerous/will it affect gameplay? blue(black corner, sixth and eight photo), red(small dark spot marked in picture with red circle, fifth picture from left)
Thanks

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hi, I'm planning to buy my first 3DS (my DS Lite decided it's time to move on...). I found a few promising ones on my country's ebay
counterpart such as brand new regular 3DS blue, black, pink and white, used XLs with slight damage to top or touch screen and brand new Mario Kart bundle (though this one is expensive).
I have two questions:
1. Anybody knows safe serial numbers for european regular 3DS?
2. Are those damages dangerous/will it affect gameplay? blue(black corner, sixth and eight photo), red(small dark spot marked in picture with red circle, fifth picture from left)
Thanks
Unless the seller hasn't updated the console and it's still on 4.x a second hand console has no guarantee of being 4.x, there has even been a few people who have gotten consoles sold as 4.x but they have been partially updated (but still show 4.x in system settings) and thus the gateway card will not work on them, the serial number and copyright info only applied to brand new and sealed consoles

SaggyBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't suppose any stores near you still have any of those?

A local Walmart store had like four of them left at the beginning of April, but at the time I had no need for another 3DS so I passed by them... now that I need another 4.x unit I'm really regretting that, I called every Walmart in town (since I forget which one exactly had them) and nobody has any bundles left. I see a few being sold on eBay, all from Canada ironically, so if some stores there have overstock I would gladly pay for someone to get me a MK7 bundle... that way I get a free game too.

On that note, for non-bundles, the lowest I've seen anymore is a serial starting with 1336. I remember it's that because I thought it was funny how it was one off of 1337. That's out of the range sadly. I could check the UPCs but I think it wouldn't be worth even trying to buy it as there's like a 95% chance it will have 5.1 or newer.

This was back in November 2013 that they were purchased from shoppers drug mart here in Canada.. I highly doubt they have any left but if I zip by I will check. If i can get my hands on one i'll keep you in mind for sure ;)

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was back in November 2013 that they were purchased from shoppers drug mart here in Canada.. I highly doubt they have any left but if I zip by I will check. If i can get my hands on one i'll keep you in mind for sure ;)

Ah, alright. The Walmart here had them as recently as April of this year which is why I'm super bummed I didn't get one. I could have bought all four of them and made a bit of a profit, too!!

Cheapest one I found on eBay is $240, ironically coming from Canada. What do you guys think, worth getting? I set the filters to look for only NEW units since that way I can be sure it'll work. Ever since I learned about that MK7 bundle I've wanted one of those instead since I prefer the blue color anyway and it gives me a free game (obviously I can't get it anymore even if I were to pay, since I'd have to update to use eshop)

Abi91pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Unless the seller hasn't updated the console and it's still on 4.x a second hand console has no guarantee of being 4.x, there has even been a few people who have gotten consoles sold as 4.x but they have been partially updated (but still show 4.x in system settings) and thus the gateway card will not work on them, the serial number and copyright info only applied to brand new and sealed consoles

That's why I'm asking about serial numbers for brand new, sealed European regular 3DS (not XL). For second hand XLs I'm asking if somebody with knowledge about LCD could tell me if the damage is purely mechanical or was it caused by a defective display.

SaggyBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, alright. The Walmart here had them as recently as April of this year which is why I'm super bummed I didn't get one. I could have bought all four of them and made a bit of a profit, too!!

Cheapest one I found on eBay is $240, ironically coming from Canada. What do you guys think, worth getting? I set the filters to look for only NEW units since that way I can be sure it'll work. Ever since I learned about that MK7 bundle I've wanted one of those instead since I prefer the blue color anyway and it gives me a free game (obviously I can't get it anymore even if I were to pay, since I'd have to update to use eshop)

Well $240 is a bit high since it is $199 CAN + HST (13% tax) so that is $225. The ones here shoppers drug mart were on sale for $149 + tax so $170 which was a steal.. You can always try to find one online. We have kijiji here in Canada which is a free local listing service which seem to have advertised 4.5 3ds's from time to time and i've seen them as low as $200 CAN and as High as $240 CAN.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well $240 is a bit high since it is $199 CAN + HST (13% tax) so that is $225. The ones here shoppers drug mart were on sale for $149 + tax so $170 which was a steal.. You can always try to find one online. We have kijiji here in Canada which is a free local listing service which seem to have advertised 4.5 3ds's from time to time and i've seen them as low as $200 CAN and as High as $240 CAN.

Would they be NEW though? I saw people selling used ones on eBay but some of them were updated, and I never really trust those listings anyway. Getting a sealed box is the only way to be completely sure. (Plus, even if it's used and un-updated, it might not be in the best physical condition...)

SaggyBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would they be NEW though? I saw people selling used ones on eBay but some of them were updated, and I never really trust those listings anyway. Getting a sealed box is the only way to be completely sure. (Plus, even if it's used and un-updated, it might not be in the best physical condition...)

I'll be passing by a shoppers drug mart today around 3pm.. I'll take a quick look since I need to grab a couple things anyway. If I find a mario kart 7 bundle for $225 would you want one? I could list it on ebay or something and give you the link.. the only thing is with shipping it might end up being more than $240 :S

Witchdokter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i am going back tomorrow, i already tried the nice way, so now it is going the hard way. i found a document form the ''consumentenbond''(Consumers Association) which says that when promises about the prodcut made by the store turn to be untrue that i am entiteled to a refund. and since the promised me that they hadn't updated the system version(that i had asked before buying it), which they had because the box had a 2013© while the 7.1 patch which was on it got released in 2014, beside that i know of the serial number that it should be below 4.5, only other explaination would have been that they had sold it somewone patched it and returned it, but they told me so firmly that the wouldn't accept returns of hardware so how could that be possible.

besides this i still have the point of getting an unsealed box which i could use. i might leave eventually if they won't exchange it (however i might say i will stay until they exchange it as a bluff) but i won't go without them having to read their entire returning policy out loud to me.

went to the store today and they admitted that i am entiteled to another one or a refund. so now they got me one with 4.4 (the serial number is SEF 11370xxx x if anybody wants to know for data gathering purposes). so now i can begin applying the hack. i read somewhere that you can apply the hack with any download card, does anybody know if there is any danger in doing that?

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
went to the store today and they admitted that i am entiteled to another one or a refund. so now they got me one with 4.4 (the serial number is SEF 11370xxx x if anybody wants to know for data gathering purposes). so now i can begin applying the hack. i read somewhere that you can apply the hack with any download card, does anybody know if there is any danger in doing that?

Awesome news!

The Gatewat exploit can indeed be applied with any card that works with your 3DS firmware version, I'm using a DSTWO myself.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be passing by a shoppers drug mart today around 3pm.. I'll take a quick look since I need to grab a couple things anyway. If I find a mario kart 7 bundle for $225 would you want one? I could list it on ebay or something and give you the link.. the only thing is with shipping it might end up being more than $240 :S

Yep! It would probably be right around there with shipping haha, the one I found on eBay is exactly $239.99 and has free shipping (from Canada though so the guy probably just rounded up rather than wanting to figure out shipping)

That was the cheapest too, there are others at $260 and higher. The $240 one has a dinged-up box, but I don't care, it's still sealed and that's all that matters

Reactions: SaggyBeans

Witchdokter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Awesome news!

The Gatewat exploit can indeed be applied with any card that works with your 3DS firmware version, I'm using a DSTWO myself.

i am trying to apply the hack with a r4i 3ds card. i already got the needed data on the micro sd card which goes in the ds card, however when i try to run the ''game'' in the 3ds, the screen goes black flashes white 1 time and than goes black again. restarted the 3ds several times but this is what keeps happening, any ideas on what it might be?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i am trying to apply the hack with a r4i 3ds card. i already got the needed data on the micro sd card which goes in the ds card, however when i try to run the ''game'' in the 3ds, the screen goes black flashes white 1 time and than goes black again. restarted the 3ds several times but this is what keeps happening, any ideas on what it might be?
are you trying to use all the gateway files, you need the kernel files from the card your using and ONLY the gatewayinstaller.nds from the blue card folder

it sounds like you are trying to use the gateway kernel which is not designed for the card you have, that will only work on the blue card

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: