Hacking Where to get a firmware 4.5 or below 3DS XL?

mrgames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why would you want a refurbished unit when you can buy a brand new one for the same price? http://www.target.com/p/nintendo-3ds-xl-console-blue/-/A-14996415#prodSlot=medium_1_8

if you head to target in person there is a really good chance you will get a lower FW serial number. if you order online you gamble. if you order from nintendo, not only is it not new and could have scratches or other small issues, it will most certainly be updated to 6.1. there are a lot of reports that state that repaired units are being returned with a higher firmware. it stands to reason they would update refurbished units as well.

-another world

I was pretty sure all targets were out of stock, when I went to the site it said the units were unavailable in store and online...

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
on black friday i bought one, and then exchanged for another. online it said they were out of stock in both places, yet the store had stacks of them. don't trust the online entity to represent each individual target location.

ask for a rain check to guarantee that price. it isn't your fault they can't keep up with demand or place proper orders. it is a nation wide sale, they will honor the price.

-another world

unnivava

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey people! Funny story, I actually got the Mario and Luigi silver edition 3DS XL yesterday, even though it wasn't supposed to hit stores till December 2. Either way, my dad actually got it for me when I asked him to get a 3DS XL, but since the people at Shoppers Drug Mart didn't have any normal ones in stock they gave that one to him. I went the next day (after taking a few pictures of the special edition one) and got one with firmware 4.4 in exchange :D

SO, for people in Canada, go to Shoppers Drug Mart, they're fairly unpopular C:

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoever buys the unit he returned will get a 6.1 version with SW107 serial. Is there any other posibility for that buyer?
I see what you're saying now, however that is not a common situation. Whenever you see a box that isn't brand new I'd just go ahead and assume someone updated it anyway to get online.

LooseCaboose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you say which model/color 3DS XL you got and what your specific Nintendo Serial Number is (just the first 4 digits)? It should be on the back of your 3DS XL.
It was a blue 1270

I haven't been able to post until now, but I also got the exact same model/color/serial from walmart and it had 4.5 on it, so I can confirm the blue 1270.

Long story follows:

I got it on Thursday night with a price match for 149.99 at walmart as I didn't want to wait in the lines and crap parking at local Targets. I went there before hand and checked to see that they had blue ones (the walmart closer to me only had reds) and I asked at both of these walmarts if they were price matching yet and they both said after 8pm (one used some kind of cheat sheet with some extra rules that aren't written on the corporate page).

When I went back after 9pm, the walmart with red ones had the case open (which was odd since it seems you could just steal these since there didn't seem to be a security tab on them or in them). I saw some there that were 2012, so I was just going to go back to that walmart if I had trouble getting a blue one.

Went to the other walmart and got the guy to hand me a blue at the around 9:30pm (saw 2012 on the box so I just went with it) and it took about 30 mins at the cashier to convince the idiots there to give me the price match as I held up about 5 other people in line, although none of them were bright enough to get in another line (sorry suckers). While the clerk was authorized in about 10 mins to do the price match, the machine wouldn't let her, and it took another 20 mins to finally get a manager with a key to do it... They gave me a bunch of BS in those first 10 mins that they weren't price matching today, then they said they were only price matching that specific offer at 8pm and I basically told them that was BS as the ad only says target's doors open at 8pm... Eventually they took the ad to a manager who authorized it.

The price match should still be good through the rest of today, but it's tough to say if it will work now. The fine print on the target ad does say something about limited quantities and no rain checks, and like I already said, there's some extra rules walmart has that aren't listed on the corporate price match webpage (but it's probably worth printing that corporate page out or bringing it up on a mobile device in case you get trouble).

All in all, just way to much trouble to get a 3DS... but a new one that's semi-hackable NOW in the color you want at a discount = acceptable :yaynds:

tofast4u

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought a blue/black 3DS XL the other day in Wal-mart for $150, by price matching it with Target. The firmware it came with is 4.4 U, and its SW1223

zogenie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After going to 6 local targets I was finally able to find one black/blue in SW12.... BUT it is SW1277!!! i picked it up anyway... should i open it? I am so scared >.<

Ferrian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
After going to 6 local targets I was finally able to find one black/blue in SW12.... BUT it is SW1277!!! i picked it up anyway... should i open it? I am so scared >.<

I got a pink/white with SW1275 and it was on 4.5. I think you should be fine as long as it's not SW13 or higher.

pembriar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was too lazy to head out to Walmart yesterday (BF), so I tried my luck today (Sat). Went to Sears (cuz it looks so homely) and the reluctant salesclerk went to the back to fish me out a blue 3DS XL. Dude must have been exhausted after yesterday's BF sales. Anyways, he came out with a blue 3DSXL with SW124xx . Ugh, I wasn't sure about it (cuz of a report that a blue SW1232xxxx was a 6.1.0-12U), and paying the full $200 + tax at Sears (which would not pricematch the $150) was too risky. So I left without making a purchase.

Disheartened, I still contemplated heading over to another Sears that was even more miserable and empty than this one, when I figured the next door ToysRUs would be worth a try (even though they MUST have the highest 3DS console sales traffic of all the retailers). I was half-expecting to get a red or blue SW14xx but -- lo and behold -- he took out a Blue SW1175xxxx x console. WTF, how'd that dinosaur remain unpurchased? Inside must be, what, fw 4.2 or something more ancient, as it's the lowest Blue I've read about to date. ToysRUs would not pricematch Target cuz all the Targets in the area are out of stock, so yeah, it was the full $200 + tax for me. :(

So even for a high-traffic retailer like ToysRUs, you could end up getting one of the leftover early consoles that stayed in the back of the case (like mine, I'm assuming); perhaps new consoles were continually being stacked in front of mine each week, which seems reasonable considering the blue SW1175xxxx x unit was the last in the glass cabinet. So my suggestion is to check out your local ToysRUs and ask for access to the glass cabinet. It's easy for these guys to open it up and let you examine the outside SW serial numbers. They won't b*tch and moan like the Sears people, who have to go to the backroom and find the units.

I still haven't opened this one up yet to confirm what I'm sure is a <4.5 firmware, as I'm taking delivery of another three 3DSXL units (2xRed and 1xBlue) made online at Target and ToysRUs for $150 each. If any one of the 3 deliveries has an equally low SW# like this $200 one, then I might return this $200 one back to ToysRUs unopened for a full refund and keep the cheaper purchase. The real pain will be having to return all three 3DSXLs if none of them look promising, but at least I'll have the $200 dinosaur as a backup.

If ALL three 3DSXLs have sufficiently low SW# to promise a 4.1-4.5 fw , I'll either eBay them or let people here know if they want them.

pembriar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks spidy, you give me courage to proceed.

See, just when we think there's some pattern emerging here (ie, copyright 2012 nintendo statement + SW 12xxx), there's always one exception that makes it less of a certainty.

A pink with SW1275 gives us some measure of relief yet an earlier post claims a blue SW1232 was 6.1.0 . I'd like to assume that blue was more the exception than the rule (in that maybe the unit was originally <4.5 , then updated, then returned to the store by an early customer) but who knows. I had to think long and hard before walking away from a Blue SW124xxxxx x because of some doubt and concern of risk. All this speculation can drive you nuts...

zogenie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the process of attempting to open the box without ruining the sticker. this will take some time lol wish me luck guys!

DisasterTheory

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ordered a Red XL from eBay on black friday, fingers crossed. The seller was actually ToysRus, so I'm wondering if it's 5.x+ can I return/exchange at local tru?

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Finally I found a monster hunter tri bundle for a good price (209 Euro). It came wit 4.5 as expected. I wanted a black 3ds xl.
If someone from austria (Wien) is reading this by chance, there are another two bundles for sale at Müller in the SCS.

zogenie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my 3ds black/blue end up being 4.5.0-10U is that gateway rdy gaiz?

edit: ok yay it is good to go. so now we have a new threshold for high serial number with 4.5 fw. gl hunting

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adLz2Gj239s