Hacking Where to buy a Japanese Kingston in the UK?

rumblesushi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone managed to get a JP Kingston with any consistency from any 1 retailer?

I went for a 2gb Kingston from SVP, due to it being the cheapest I could find including shipping. Unfortunately I got a Taiwan made card.

The read speed is awful too, I've benchmarked it with the included full size SD adapter, via a PCMCIA card slot, and also a standard SD usb reader. I haven't tried a microSD USB reader.

The read speed is 4x, so I'm imagining some games could have problems streaming etc.

Incidentally, does anyone know what the read speed is of a true DS cart?

Mikef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read speed of a Jap 2G Kingston is about 20M/sec for me, I have 6 of them bought at different times.

Your reader might be a bottleneck and may show the card being slower than it really is.

rumblesushi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's what I thought, but seeing as I've tried it with a USB card reader, plus a PCM CIA card bus on my laptop, I think it's the true speed.

It is the taiwan card, but are they meant to be quite this slow? I didn't think the jap cards would be 5 times as fast.

ashesburn

Trophies
XP
Country
Try getting on Amazon or eBay. But do ask the seller beforehand, although there is still a chance of getting fake ones.

I have cards there were made in taiwan and they work just fine. Not too slow for my liking although I did not try measuring their speed.

rumblesushi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey ash, maybe it's going to work fine, I'll have to wait and see. Have you tried your Taiwan card with Castevania, EBA, Hotel Dusk, Pheonix Wright etc?

I thought about ebay, but decided against it, as most of them seem to be fakes.

ashesburn

Trophies
XP
Country
All games I tried work out fine. I tried Hotel Dusk and Phoenix Wright and no problems at all.
smile.gif

What about trying to buy from local sellers in eBay only? Rather than overseas sellers?

Silent Storm

Trophies
XP
Country
Japanese Kingston MicroSD cards are the ones that have Japan written on them on the bottom right or left hand corner right?

If so, PC Jerry might have some, I got them for £7.99.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have, www.memorymegastore.com

I've order 6 kingston microsd's various sizes different times, all japanese. Whether it was pot luck or consistent I dunno, but still.

Most places mark jap kingstons up, memorymegastore price match, only thing which is a downside is their postage can be abit high, but it might be worth it if you are ordering multiple cards.

IzzehO

Trophies
XP
Country
www.dealextreme.com have japanese and chinese ones: they say in the title. I never had any problems with the Japanese one I got from there...

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I've been lucky with eBay (now I've said that, I might not be lucky next time!) and got real Kingston and SanDisk micro cards.

They were very cheap! SanDisk Class 4 8GB for £20(Last year) and 4GB Kingston Class 6 for £3.

ashesburn

Trophies
XP
Country
wilddenim said:
Well, I've been lucky with eBay (now I've said that, I might not be lucky next time!) and got real Kingston and SanDisk micro cards.

They were very cheap! SanDisk Class 4 8GB for £20(Last year) and 4GB Kingston Class 6 for £3.

That's not too bad! I got the Kingston class 4 8gb for £14.

ashesburn

Trophies
XP
Country
wilddenim said:
Yeah, I bought an unnamed 8gb Class 6 micro last month for £10, works fine but I wouldn't recommend that to be safe.

But I guess as long as it works fine or as expected then probably it's ok to go for brandless ones. Much cheaper too.

rumblesushi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies.

If the class 4 SDHC cards work fine with all games, I might get one of those actually, as I have at least 3 gigs worth of games.

wilddenim, what sellers did you buy from?

About DX, although they claim genuine, a fair few of the posts there seem to say they're fake. Do you think they are real or fake? Perhaps pretty good quality, fast fakes?

Incidentally, could I see my existing full size sd adaptor, inserted into a laptop card bus to use the SDHC card? Or would the adaptor not work because it's not designed for SDHC?

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I bought mine from eBay. I wouldn't suggest buying cards from DealExtreme, you can buy them off British sites for similar prices and better quailty.

Full size SD adaptor will works, I've got a non SDHC and a SDHC cards and both works with single adaptor.

I suggest have a look at Amazon.co.uk. They are quite cheap there too.

ashesburn

Trophies
XP
Country
My existing SD Card Reader wasn't able to read my 8gb SD Card. I had to get a new one off eBay, but I managed to get 1 for 30p and it works!

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ashesburn said:
wilddenim said:

That's not too bad! I got the Kingston class 4 8gb for £14.

7 day have transcend class 6 cards for £10 with free shipping...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel