Misc WiFi vs. Ethernet adapter speeds on Wii?

JORGETECH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So I've been testing transferring files to an external USB HDD that come from SMB v1 and FTP shares using WiiXplorer SS, and I was kind of disappointed with the speeds I've seen. I get around 200 KB/s regardless of the protocol I use (FTP seems to be a bit faster).

I figured out that the bottleneck can't be in USB 2.0 since it has a theoretical throughput of 480 Mbps, I suppose the Wii could have less but not by much since backups through USBLoader GX don't have slowdown. It's even less likely to be the file server since other (more modern) devices have much better transfer speeds, so I came to two possible causes for slowdown:

1. The Wii is just too weak to handle such "high" I/O speeds
  2. The WiFi chip in the Wii is terrible
I think it's more likely to be option number 2 since USB to SD (or the other way around) transfer speeds seem to be fine. Of course there is the Wii Ethernet adapter but I haven't found any information about effective speed of such adapter, so I was wondering if anyone has benchmarked WiFi and Ethernet transfer speeds before so I can know if it's really worth it to buy the Ethernet adapter.

Thanks in advance!

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I get as much as 8-10 Mbps (1-1.25 MB/s) over Wi-Fi depending on the IOS branch, with IOS58 being on the lower bound.

That's interesting, which IOS has the highest bandwidth would you say? It might be relevant info to someone else's issue with Nintendont and BBA emulation

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto