WiiMC, Wii cannot connect to WiFi/Ethernet, want to use SMB

Kazmar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all. What I'm trying to do might be a little silly, but it always is. My Wii can't connect to my Wifi, and there's no available ethernet ports, but I want to watch my disc images of Neon Genesis Evangelion on my CRT television. Is there a way I can connect to my SMB share using WiiMC by connecting an ethernet cable directly from my computer to my Wii? I've got a supposedly Wii compatible ethernet to USB device, but I'm not entirely sure where to go from there, especially since there's no link lights, and the Wii doesn't even see a MAC Address on the LAN adapter.

Thanks.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi all. What I'm trying to do might be a little silly, but it always is. My Wii can't connect to my Wifi, and there's no available ethernet ports, but I want to watch my disc images of Neon Genesis Evangelion on my CRT television. Is there a way I can connect to my SMB share using WiiMC by connecting an ethernet cable directly from my computer to my Wii? I've got a supposedly Wii compatible ethernet to USB device, but I'm not entirely sure where to go from there, especially since there's no link lights, and the Wii doesn't even see a MAC Address on the LAN adapter.

Thanks.
2 ways:
1) If the PC is connected to the Internet through a different network adapter: Share the internet connection from your PC by using Internet Connection Sharing or bridging the two network adapters. Your Wii will get an IP from your router with DHCP and able to access your network and internet like normal.

2) If the PC only has one network adapter and can't be connected to both the Wii and router at the same time, or if you don't want the Wii to be connected to the rest of your network: Set an IP manually for the ethernet adapter on both the PC side and Wii side (make sure both have a different IP on the same subnet (but different subnet from your main network) and subnet mask is the same, e.g. set the IP to 192.168.10.x and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0). The connection will be local only between the Wii and PC, Wii can't access the rest of the network or the Internet.
IP has to be set manually this way since the PC won't answer DHCP requests. Set the DNS and default gateway on the Wii side to the IP you set on the ethernet adapter on the PC side. Although DNS doesn't matter much since you won't be using DNS with a local only connection.
Set it like this on the PC (and same on the Wii side just change the IP address but keep the default gateway the same):
1686457778006.png

I recommend the first method since it's simpler, and the manual IP assignment in the second method applies to any network that ethernet adapter gets plugged into, meaning you need to set it back to auto if you want to plug anything else into it.
U would need to use a crossover ethernet cable iirc

Much simpler to copy files to a usb to watch, or get a switch for more ethernet ports on your network
A feature known as “auto-MDIX” (Automatic Medium-Dependent Interface Crossover) makes crossover cables redundant nowadays as devices are able to detect a direct connection and work with a regular TP cable.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: XFlak

Kazmar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there, sorry for the late reply, been having a rough week. Your first solution indicates that I have connectivity in the first place, while the port shows no linklights and in the control panel there is no indication anything is plugged in. The Wii also has no Mac Address on it's "Wired LAN". If I solve that basic part of it, I'm sure your solution would work great, but I'm not sure why there isn't any connectivity to begin with. I bought this adapter as it was recommended in a reddit thread, though I don't really have a way to test it's functionality as my father removed all the ethernet ports in the house in favor of Wifi 6. I suppose if I connect it to my Wii U and the same thing happens, then we could rule out if it's the Wii or not?

The bottom line is that there's no physical connectivity between my Wii and Computer.

Kazmar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got an official Wii Network Adapter this time and I'm going to try what you listed. It's finding a MAC Address this time and I'm seeing it in my computer's control panel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto