Hacking Hardware Homebrew Where is the Gamepad driver stored

AlphaCraft9658

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My friend has an issue with his Wii U. He ran code with homebrew, and thinks it has broken the Gamepad driver entirely, as he can't connect the Gamepad without the console crashing. We're trying to figure out, which of the files is the Gamepad diver, so we can replace it with an intact one. Does anyone know what to do, to restore that broken driver?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What code did he run?
I think the driver is in the OS itself, so I don't believe that he messed with that. But maybe the DRC Firmware or the Texture Atlas?
You can find the title IDs for your region here: http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Title_database
You can then download the title with JNUSTool (use -dlEncrypted Flag) and install these titles in the recovery.

If you are still able tu run Homebrew, you don't need to manually download it with JNUS and install it with the recovery, but just can reinstall these titles by id with NUSpli

AlphaCraft9658

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What code did he run?
I think the driver is in the OS itself, so I don't believe that he messed with that. But maybe the DRC Firmware or the Texture Atlas?
You can find the title IDs for your region here: http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Title_database
You can then download the title with JNUSTool (use -dlEncrypted Flag) and install these titles in the recovery.

If you are still able tu run Homebrew, you don't need to manually download it with JNUS and install it with the recovery, but just can reinstall these titles by id with NUSpli
He uses CBHC and his gamepad stopped working 3 years ago. He injected code into Minecraft, in order to be able to craft infinitely in survival, without having sufficient resources. He assumes because his gamepad lost the connection, and the code was injected into ram, it might have broken the gamepad driver or firmware. He can't properly run homebrew utilities, as they require a gamepad. At least the with he version of the tools and CBHC he has.

P.S.: Since he can't properly use homebrew applications, he wants to do a hardmod, in order to retract and modify files. He would get the intact system files and push them to the consoles memory.

Last edited by AlphaCraft9658,

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In the past 3 years. Have either of you tried to sync the console with another gamepad? Modding a game shouldn't physically breaking the gamepad.

AlphaCraft9658

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In the past 3 years. Have either of you tried to sync the console with another gamepad? Modding a game shouldn't physically breaking the gamepad.
We're not living close to each other, and don't know each other for long, but he said he tried everything. He has three Wii U consoles, but the on with the issue is his first one with a lot of childhood memories on it. He tries everything he can, even re-pairing any gamepad. The driver or firmware for the gamepad seems to be broken. Now he wants to try a hardmod, because he can't fix any broken files without a gamepad, since his homebrew needs one.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do I get this right the same Gamepad works on other Wii Us, but other Gamepads also don't work on this Wii U?

Did he try paring the Gamepad when booting without a SD card in?

I don't see what a Hardmod would bring him. There is no good way for injecting files with a hard mod and there a much better options, that don't require open the console.
If the console has still a network connection, he should be able to connect to it with the wupclient, as haxchi has a wupserver built in.
Also there is always the option to use UDPIH to launch the recovery menu and load network settings there and start a wupserver there or install titles from SD.

AlphaCraft9658

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do I get this right the same Gamepad works on other Wii Us, but other Gamepads also don't work on this Wii U?

Did he try paring the Gamepad when booting without a SD card in?

I don't see what a Hardmod would bring him. There is no good way for injecting files with a hard mod and there a much better options, that don't require open the console.
If the console has still a network connection, he should be able to connect to it with the wupclient, as haxchi has a wupserver built in.
Also there is always the option to use UDPIH to launch the recovery menu and load network settings there and start a wupserver there or install titles from SD.
I don't know how everything with CBHC works, but he doesn't even have a working pro controller. Not sure whether he can do anything there. I don't think he doesn't know what he is doing. He was trying for a very long time.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is an important question, so reply to that, please. If he has 3 consoles and tried everything, what was the result of:
- Pairing a gamepad from another console to this one
- Pairing the broken gamepad to another console

I don't think he doesn't know what he is doing.
And that's dangerous. Esp. when he does it since 3 years he'll do mistakes sonner or later. So tell him to calm down, then ask the questions we need to get replies to, then tell him to stay calm until we find a way to debug this.

he doesn't even have a working pro controller.
3 consoles but no pro controller? No Wii motes? Are two of the 3 consoles just the bare consoles? So does he even own more than one gamepad? Please ask him that, too. At best let him write a list of everything Wii U specific he owns.

AlphaCraft9658

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is an important question, so reply to that, please. If he has 3 consoles and tried everything, what was the result of:

And that's dangerous. Esp. when he does it since 3 years he'll do mistakes sonner or later. So tell him to calm down, then ask the questions we need to get replies to, then tell him to stay calm until we find a way to debug this.

3 consoles but no pro controller? No Wii motes? Are two of the 3 consoles just the bare consoles? So does he even own more than one gamepad? Please ask him that, too. At best let him write a list of everything Wii U specific he owns.
He has Wiimotes, but his homebrew on the partially broken console is really old, and only works with the gamepad, he said. He can't sync the gamepad with the console, without the entire console crashing down.

AlphaCraft9658

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Actually, he seems to be using an older version of Tiramisu. He wasn't sure himself. We can install Aroma, though, and retrieve the logs. I think he is going to try reinstalling the DRC Firmware at first, though.

AlphaCraft9658

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah. He's gonna do that. I'll try to help him. He could also use the FTPiiU Aroma plugin, which runs in the background and optionally allows system file access.
Post automatically merged:

My friend has initially used the loadiine.ovh website for the exploit, but it doesn't work anymore. It's in his favorites and he can't type in any other website, because the gamepad can't connect. Can we somehow redirect this url to another exploit website?

Last edited by AlphaCraft9658,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can we somehow redirect this url to another exploit website?
DNS injection maybe, so you change the DNS server on your router (or better change the router to use another DNS, then setup one on your PC). Then this new DNS server you configure to point that URL to your own server (self hosted on your PC).

AlphaCraft9658

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
DNS injection maybe, so you change the DNS server on your router (or better change the router to use another DNS, then setup one on your PC). Then this new DNS server you configure to point that URL to your own server (self hosted on your PC).
Someone on the Nintendo Homebrew Discord Server told us, instead of looking for overcomplicated workarounds with the network, we should just use Bluubomb. Would that work. Is it okay to use as a temporary solution, installing the Payload loader afterwards? Could it be a good method, which just got replaced by the way easier JSTypeHax? He told me it should be able to run Tiramisu and Aroma, just like the browser exploit.

P.S.: Sorry, if there are some bad typos. I'm on my phone right now and my texting on it has been catastrophical lately.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would that work.
Hardly depends on the questions you refuse to reply to:

AlphaCraft9658

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hardly depends on the questions you refuse to reply to:
The gamepad isn't broken. It's rather the gamepad firmware on the console. Any gamepad he tries to pair, results in an error message telling to reboot the console or an immediate crash. We have found out there is a method of running a normally working homebrew without the gamepad and fixing the broken drivers from there. He wants to try reinstalling the DRC firmware with NUSspli, but the browser exploit doesn't work. loading.ovh doesn't exist anymore and that is the only bookmark he has. He can't type in any other website for the exploit.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
He wants to try reinstalling the DRC firmware with NUSspli
Sorry to say but that won't work. NUSspli depends on Tiramisu/Aroma APIs not available through homebrew mode via browser exploit. WUP Installer refuses to install system titles.

Anyway, I did a mistake before: It's not about beeing able to pair a gamepad but Wii motes.

@GaryOderNichts is there a way to load full blown Tiramisu or Aroma from Bluubomb or is install_wup.bin able to install system titles?

//EDIT: Note that Gary isn't that active here, so reply might need some time. In the meantime your friend could at least use bluubomb to load Wii U FTP Server and grab the logs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here