ROM Hack Where can i locate A Link Between Worlds' checksum?

• Thread starter Deleted-443945
  • Start date
  • Views 2,025
  • Replies 19
D

Deleted-443945

OP
also is there any specific things i need to do in order to change Link's name besides editing the text string?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You could try creating a save and backing it up, then loading it and saving immediately afterwards and creating another backup, then repeat another time...

Now you will have 3 mostly equal saves; the least analytics (play time, centimeters walked, number of saves, ...) and especially if the game doesn't put screenshots in saves, the easier will it be to compare them in a hex editor!

Of course, even if you find the checksum, you will still need to guess which type of hash it is and across which ranges, the only solutions being guessing or disassembling the game... good luck!

D

Deleted-443945

OP
You could try creating a save and backing it up, then loading it and saving immediately afterwards and creating another backup, then repeat another time...

Now you will have 3 mostly equal saves; the least analytics (play time, centimeters walked, number of saves, ...) and especially if the game doesn't put screenshots in saves, the easier will it be to compare them in a hex editor!

Of course, even if you find the checksum, you will still need to guess which type of hash it is and across which ranges, the only solutions being guessing or disassembling the game... good luck!
not as simple as calculating the checksum via hex editor like in Ocarina of Time 3D?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
not as simple as calculating the checksum via hex editor like in Ocarina of Time 3D?
Each game is free to implement save verification as it wants (or not at all), so comparing with others of the same series (that were made by different people) may be a starting point but not guaranteed to be true

D

Deleted-443945

OP
Each game is free to implement save verification as it wants (or not at all), so comparing with others of the same series (that were made by different people) may be a starting point but not guaranteed to be true
guhhhh, this is so tedious, i just want to change link's name aaaaaaaaa

D

Deleted-443945

OP
You run a server program on the console (a NTR plugin, or Luma 8+), then you can connect from a PC and edit memory

Details better found in other topics, I never tried :)
yeah well, i don't use CFW sooooo......

Slattz

Easygoing Fairy
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Is there no save editor or anything? Or is the save checksum type not documented? Usually the checksum is (if CRC32) is the first 4 bytes of the save

D

Deleted-443945

OP
Is there no save editor or anything? Or is the save checksum type not documented? Usually the checksum is (if CRC32) is the first 4 bytes of the save
not that i know of, i tried looking for save editor and then for a save editing thread but i couldn't find either. there was one thread for OoT 3D and it used a CRC16 checksum at the very end of the save. the last 5 bytes of albw have stuff on them so it is probably one of them. i'll test it by creating multiple saves as Ryccardo suggested. still unsure if it's a CRC16 for this one though

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted-443945

OP
the last 5 digits of the save file don't seem to change in all 3 files and yes i did make sure they are a little different from one another

Slattz

Easygoing Fairy
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
the last 5 digits of the save file don't seem to change in all 3 files and yes i did make sure they are a little different from one another
Can you pm me the files? I'd like to take a look. You're sure there's a checksum, right?

D

Deleted-443945

OP
Can you pm me the files? I'd like to take a look. You're sure there's a checksum, right?
yes i am sure, i heard all zelda games on the 3ds have checksums, that is why my file always gets corrupt when i try to edit it otherwise

and ehm, how do i send you my files? sorry, kind of a newbie on this site lol

Slattz

Easygoing Fairy
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
yes i am sure, i heard all zelda games on the 3ds have checksums, that is why my file always gets corrupt when i try to edit it otherwise

and ehm, how do i send you my files? sorry, kind of a newbie on this site lol
I pm'd you how to do it :)

Slattz

Easygoing Fairy
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I was afk doing something else for alot of the day so sorry for not getting back sooner but I just made a simple program to fix checksums :)
You can find my program here, just drag and drop onto the exe or pass the save's filename as an argument in cmd. As 'proof' it works, I've attached an image that shows I edited the name to have symbols ^_^ The save has 2 CRC32 checksums, one at 0xDFC and the other at 0x13FC
vygmD2c.png

Last edited by Slattz,
D

Deleted-443945

OP
I was afk doing something else for alot of the day so sorry for not getting back sooner but I just made a simple program to fix checksums :)
You can find my program here, just drag and drop onto the exe or pass the save's filename as an argument in cmd. As 'proof' it works, I've attached an image that shows I edited the name to have symbols ^_^
vygmD2c.png
oh thank you! i'll check it once i become available to again, i'll make sure to tell you if it works!

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted-443945

OP
You can find my program here, just drag and drop onto the exe or pass the save's filename as an argument in cmd. As 'proof' it works, I've attached an image that shows I edited the name to have symbols ^_^ The save has 2 CRC32 checksums, one at 0xDFC and the other at 0x13FC
vygmD2c.png
it worked!! thank you soooooo much! this game is so obscure when it comes to save editing threads that i hardly had any information to work with. you just made my life much easier!

now to go ahead and change my names in majora's mask 3d and skyward sword.....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up