PGames09

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Ok, I'm switching from 3DS and I need to know a few things:
1. How can I transfer my saved games from a 3DS with Homebrew and Luma to another that also has them?
2. A Japanese 3DS with
Region Changed to American can do firmware updates?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What exactly does "switching from 3DS" mean?

1. How can I transfer my saved games from a 3DS with Homebrew and Luma to another that also has them?
Checkpoint.

2. A Japanese 3DS with Region Changed to American can do firmware updates?
The region-changing process requires you to do a firmware update at the end, so yes.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly does "switching from 3DS" mean?
Data transfer, most likely.
Ok, I'm switching from 3DS and I need to know a few things:
2. A Japanese 3DS with
Region Changed to American can do firmware updates?
Assuming that you are indeed referring to a data transfer, you'd need to install Luma/Homebrew Launcher/etc on the host 3DS before transferring. After that, you should just be able to plug in your old SD card and you should be good to go. System transfers do not transfer CFW to the new 3DS.
Checkpoint saves can be used to back up save data on the old 3DS and restore them on the new one (All save data, and Checkpoint itself, is stored on the SD card.

I haven't done transfer stuff in a while so there may be some other stuff I'm forgetting here.

Also, please do not make duplicate threads for the same inquiry.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except a System Transfer from a U-unit to a region-changed J-unit is generally not possible.
Oh, right. I don't have a lot of experience with region mismatching stuff.
You're talking about the actual System Transfer tool, though, right? Would a manual reinstall/SD card transfer still work? Or does that also not work when transferring to a different region?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would a manual reinstall/SD card transfer still work?
Not sure what you mean by that. You can definitely manually re-install everything and then use Checkpoint to transfer the save data, but there is no way of getting around the encryption issue that will make everything on the SD card readable on another unit.

... Except that you can, in theory, overwrite the encryption key on one unit with the key from another unit, but I think that messes up the Friend list and may otherwise have unpredictable results.

You can also apparently do a "SOAP transfer" that will subsequently permit the official System Transfer tool to work, but I'm not sure exactly how that works beyond requiring donor information from another U-region unit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: and it tasted like shit