Hacking When is a Kingston not a Kingston

GBANinja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I read a lot of good thinks about the Kingston 1GB microSD card made in Japan. However, I live in Japan and I can find no such card (>_

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah it's okay to buy the Toshiba card with the same serial. Kingston actually supply Toshiba
smile.gif
They're the exact same thing.

I've got a Japanese Kingston micro SD, it's great! It's exceptionally fast and stable.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont mean to ransack this thread ( but no use in making a new one) but, i always hear about the "differences in quality" among cards based on where they are made... does anyone have any FIRST HAND experience regarding if the origin makes a difference?
unsure.gif
(tried the same card 2x, from different countries and had drastically different results?) No " i know someone..." or " i read somewhere..." Please
Thanks
biggrin.gif

EDIT: GBANinja, by any chance a Computer Science student? that symbol you used (?) is "universal generalization" ha. Was reading about it last week
weird
wtf.gif

GBANinja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ah, ok. Thanks (
happy.gif
)
I was a little worried. I guess the "Kingston" made in Japan (with the "Kingston" label on it) must only be for exports.
I was shocked that I couldn't find it here. I guess it is ok if Toshiba and Kingston are the same company I think. (???)

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah it's okay to buy the Toshiba card with the same serial. Kingston actually supply Toshiba
smile.gif
They're the exact same thing.

Actually it's the other way round. Toshiba manufacture the card and sell it to other companies. Kingston buy their microsd from Toshiba (thats the japanese kingston) and from a taiwanese factory (the not-as-good-quality kingston) to reduce costs.

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont mean to ransack this thread ( but no use in making a new one) but, i always hear about the "differences in quality" among cards based on where they are made... does anyone have any FIRST HAND experience regarding if the origin makes a difference?
unsure.gif
(tried the same card 2x, from different countries and had drastically different results?) No " i know someone..." or " i read somewhere..." Please
Thanks
biggrin.gif

EDIT: GBANinja, by any chance a Computer Science student? that symbol you used (?) is "universal generalization" ha. Was reading about it last week
weirdÂ
wtf.gif

it all comes down to benchmarks. the kingston 1gb made in japan (or toshiba.. same thing) has the lowest random access time of all the cards i've seen, hence why it works the best. do a search for benchmarks and you will see what i mean when you look at the list of benchmarks they did for each card. country might have something to do with it (japan has had a good reputation with quality cards), but if you want to be sure about a card, find benchmark results/reviews.

GBANinja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
jtroye32,
ah, no sorry. I'm not a computer science student. I have a Japanese keyboard/computer so I its easy to create interesting symbols like that, for example:
(???????)
+.?(o???o)?+.
(????)
(?°?°)?
(???????)
(?´?`?)
(????)?
+?:.??(??? ???)??.:?+?
?*???)
((((???;))))

I hope they can show up on your side. Sometimes Japanese charecters don't work on some pages.

On a side note, I read..http://www.emuboards.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=28116

Which makes it sound like if I get a Toshiba chip that has SD-C01G on it, I should be okay.

Although this page:
http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list

says that there is also a Toshiba SD-C01G chip that, is different from the Kingston.
*sigh*.. its confusing. o well, I guess i'll just get the Toshiba one

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
On a side note, I read..http://www.emuboards.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=28116

Which makes it sound like if I get a Toshiba chip that has SD-C01G on it, IÂ should be okay.

Although this page:
http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list

says that there is also a Toshiba SD-C01G chip that, is different from the Kingston.
*sigh*.. its confusing. o well, I guess i'll just get the Toshiba one

No, that page says that the SD-C01G-T card is exactly the same as the kingston. the -T suffix is just for toshiba's model numbering system. The card us exactly the same as the kingston SD-C01G.

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where are you guys buying your Toshiba 1GB microSD cards from? I just ordered a 1GB Kingston from Meritline in the hopes that it would be a Japanese card, and it was Taiwanese.
frown.gif

I'll compare it to my current A-Data 1GB microSD and see how it does.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

aphexpusher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One little sidenote...

I formatted both the Taiwan and the Japanese MicroSD cards using FAT16 64k clusters.

The Taiwan card ends up being about 952MB useable space, and the Japanese card ends up with about 982MB.

The Japanese card gives you 30MB more to play with.

I wonder why there's a difference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7