Whats thewireless card that works in Windows 7 and Ubuntu10.04

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by 431unknown, Jun 15, 2010.

1. 431unknown
    OP

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    So heres what I'm looking for incase you can't get it from the topic, I looking for the best wireless card that will run in Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 with out to much bs to get it working. The card I currently have is a D-Link DWL_520E and while it works fine in Windows 7, it does not work in Ubuntu 10.04. I know there are work arounds to get it working but I'm a total noob when it comes to Linux and am just looking for a some what easier way to get wireless running on both OS's but if I have too I'll tear out a wall in my house and run some ethernet if need be.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    My PCI WPN311 from netgear worked in ubuntu 10.04 without any guidance from me whatsoever. Literally, it just started working from the moment I ubuntu finished installing.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/...sCardsSupported

For those lists, there's "Supported in installed system" and "Works "out of the box"", you want a Yes for both.

3. 431unknown
    OP

United States
    Firstly I should have stated I'm running 32bit on this perticular PC. Does it work in Windows 7 for you also? If it does I just found one on eBay for 14$ shipped I'll buy it if you say it does.

Edit:
    Ah nevermind I just check the windows 7 hardware compatibilite site and it says it is and for 14$ even if its not I'll throw it in my MAME Arcade XP PC for easier rom file transfers. Thanks for the help.

4. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    I know quite a few people have got their wireless working in ubunti/mint and its all about that ndis wrapper which will get it working for you
    ndiswrapper info

5. 431unknown
    OP

United States
    I know about ndiswrapper and from what I read the current card I have does not work with it.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If you have an "out of the box" card then you don't need ndiswrapper. In fact you don't need ndiswrapper for most cards anymore.