What's the best tool to use to shrink GameCube ISOs in 2022?

Willicious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Had a good rummage but can't find any definitive answers to this question.

I've been informed that it's possible to shrink the size of a GC ISO, removing all unnecessary data and leaving only the game data intact. A few forum threads have discussed this, but there doesn't seem to be any posts specifically about it, or any directions to the available tools.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which tool is the easiest, best, and least problematic to use specifically for the purpose of removing unnecessary data from a GameCube ISO to leave only the intact game data? The resulting ISO needs to be installable via WUP Installer GX2, and playable on Nintendont.

Download links are particularly welcome, instructions for use would be magical but I understand not everyone has the time to be typing out user guides. If it's a simple enough program, I'll figure it out. Thanks in advance!

Willicious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The ones I've seen so far are this one:

1657852496154.png

Love the simplicity of the interface, but don't understand what any of this means. The place I downloaded it from has no instructions either, so... I guess you either know or you don't!

Also found this one:

1657852604052.png

Again, no instructions on how to use it from the download site. I did try loading an ISO in, and opted to save it as "Trimmed". The resulting ISO was smaller in size, haven't tested it yet though. Everything takes so darn long when it comes to testing injected games and I'm too tired to do it right now. So, I thought I'd reach out for some guidance instead.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Gamecube ISO Tool looks good. Have a look at http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/gcit.html (click on Details at Command line) for how to use it. The default (trimmed ISO) is exactly what you want through, so what you did seems correct to me.

Can't remember which tool I used exactly but in case you want more tools google for the "nkit format", too.

//EDIT: For faster testing just put the new iso file on the SD card and launch Nintendont via vWii, then launch the iso from there. In case this works it will work when injected, too.

//EDIT²: As told at the other thread Animal Crossing should be around 14 MB when trimmed correctly (IIRC this is the smallest GCN game). So use this as a reference: How big is the resulting iso file from Gamecube ISO Tool when you feed it with Animal Crossing?

Last edited by V10lator,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure Teconmoon Wii VC injector compresses games using "NKIT" format that can be installed with the wup installer GX2. :ninja:
I avoid NKIT like the plague. All the homebrew apps I use for ISO management don't support the shitty format.

Last edited by Jayro,

Willicious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gamecube ISO Tool looks good. Have a look at http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/gcit.html (click on Details at Command line) for how to use it. The default (trimmed ISO) is exactly what you want through, so what you did seems correct to me.

Thanks! And thankyou for pointing me towards these instructions, I would never have guessed to look there for them. I'd probably run it from the interface rather than the command line in all honesty, but at least this explains the program's functions.

//EDIT: For faster testing just put the new iso file on the SD card and launch Nintendont via vWii

See my reply here for this. I'm not entirely sure how to launch Nintendont from an unmodded vWii.

//EDIT²: As told at the other thread Animal Crossing should be around 14 MB when trimmed correctly (IIRC this is the smallest GCN game). So use this as a reference: How big is the resulting iso file from Gamecube ISO Tool when you feed it with Animal Crossing?

Good idea, thanks! Downloading it now. I'll give this a try :)

//EDIT: Done this, it went to 139MB - so, much smaller than 1425MB! I'm pretty sure that Save ISO > Trimmed is the way to do it (one thing to note is that the ISOs no longer seem to work in Dolphin once they've been trimmed).

Last edited by Willicious,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! And thankyou for pointing me towards these instructions, I would never have guessed to look there for them. I'd probably run it from the interface rather than the command line in all honesty, but at least this explains the program's functions.

See my reply here for this. I'm not entirely sure how to launch Nintendont from an unmodded vWii.

Good idea, thanks! Downloading it now. I'll give this a try :)

//EDIT: Done this, it went to 139MB - so, much smaller than 1425MB! I'm pretty sure that Save ISO > Trimmed is the way to do it (one thing to note is that the ISOs no longer seem to work in Dolphin once they've been trimmed).
That's because Dolphin is a puta. 😉

Reactions: FlamesEpic

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Done this, it went to 139MB
Should be able to shave off another 125 MB with the nkit format.

//EDIT:
I'm pretty sure Teconmoon Wii VC injector compresses games using "NKIT" format
I know this isn't clear with the OP spreading all the informations in different threads but this is about having a small iso file on the SD card to be able to change Nintendont settings (that's also why I stated AC is the smallest GCN game).

Willicious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
a small iso file on the SD card to be able to change Nintendont settings (that's also why I stated AC is the smallest GCN game).

So... (and, apologies for all the questions and thank you for your patience!) does this mean that each time I want to load a game via Nintendont I have to first load Animal Crossing, change the settings, and then load (whichever game)?

Or, do you just do it once and then it saves the settings and applies them globally from then on (or until I open Animal Crossing and change them again)?

And, how is it any different from using TeconMoon to save the config file to the SD card? Is this (i.e. the TeconMoon method) not actually having any effect on the settings? And if not, I wonder why it gives the impression that it is having an effect.

I haven't had much time over the weekend to do anything with this, probably will get to have another look at it during the week at some point. Again, I apologise for all the questions, I just want to make sure I understand this as much as I can before I go ahead and do anything. I've already gone in guns blazing and installed a bunch of injects, but a few of them aren't working so it's time to hit the brakes and get the theory books out!

//EDIT: Regarding the scattered posts, that's happened as a result of trying to find answers from various sources across the Forums, and replying to the posts as necessary. I apologise for this if it's caused any confusion, I'll try to keep things to just the Nintendont thread!

Last edited by Willicious,

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I avoid NKIT like the plague. All the homebrew apps I use for ISO management don't support the shitty format.
"I don't know the difference between a trimming algorithm and a compression one."
The compression format is only supported by Dolphin. The trimming one is perfectly optimised - it's impossible to do better. Older tools use less compatible trimming methods (and with big games, they can actually produce bigger files!)

drewby

Trophies
Website
www.instagram.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I would go with NKIT since it's pretty modern. I use it with my modded GameCube and an SD2SP2, so if it runs on original hardware, I'm sure it would work fine with an inject. But, I would stay away from trying to use NKIT for the Dolphin emulator. I believe it even gives you a warning if you try to run an NKIT ISO, or at least it used to.

As long as you aren't planning on doing ISO/ROM management, you should be fine with using NKIT for your injection.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will leave it to the others to contemplate what goes for shrinking dummy data, extraneous padding and wasted space, or indeed what goes for compression at iso level as I am not so familiar with the current state of things (and never actually was -- miniDVDs might be relatively expensive but not like you were going to do sensible multidisc things a la the original xbox, though for the Wii where full discs are a thing in GC mode then different circumstances)

"removing all unnecessary data and leaving only the game data intact"
For what it is worth that is not something automated tools (this side of quite strong AI or serious crowdsourcing* anyway) can do and is subjective as well.

Classically there was a concept called ROM ripping (yes it gets very confusing) wherein you remove files not used by the game -- something the developers left in and forgot to comment out/remove/left in as a bonus.
The subjective part comes in in that there might be things you don't care about (oh no not online multiplayer, whatever will I do without it? Or perhaps what tragic luck the game I played the whole thing of crashed at the credits as I deleted them), or if you are sharply limited on space then levels 1 through 4 and 5 through 8 are in separate ROMs you delete to swap between as the game progresses and you keep space on your SD card or whatever.
Anyway if you deal in the original xbox scene you will see this extensively, I used to do it for the DS ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp...ew-2016-edition-out.73394/page-2#post-1799596 ), some kind of went there for the Switch but that was more about replacing files, similar happened at times for the Wii, the PSP saw a fair bit (but could also run compressed isos from the memory card -- see PSP CISO/CSO) the PC saw quite extensive takes on this around the time of bit torrent's rise (and you have options here to do things like replace audio with far smaller versions and convert back out at either runtime or during installation -- your 50 meg per track wave files are now usefully measured in kilobytes AAC audio or something. Some emulators for PS1 and flash carts for the megaCD also do this with CD audio replacement/substitution but that is getting off topic). Again with the GC being mostly based around mod chips and miniDVD it never really became a thing compared to the xbox (where dual layer DVDs were a thing and cost an absolute fortune/most xbox stock hard drives had a few gigs of space).
You can go further and drop video quality if you have an encoder (not sure what dropped with the gigaleaks or has been made in the time since, and space savings here are potentially huge, could go one further and make a single frame of black screen and call that the video), texture quality/detail (rare but seen it done), audio quality (mentioned elsewhere some of the emulator level stuff, also quite rare as a concept).
There is also relinking; say you found a 40 meg video file (possibly even from another game) but there are 15 videos in the game, you could copy-paste over all the larger ones but you still get hammered on space, relinking sees everything look not to its individual file but the single 40 meg file and you can wipe the rest of the space (works better if you have iso level compression but you could rejig everything to make a smaller file, though it will likely be a manual effort). Video by the time of the gamecube will also be a significant component of size -- during the 8 and 16 bit era a game's script might be a significant component of the ROM but given I have 3000 page ebooks for a few megabytes then that is a lesser thing when even seconds of video might measure multiple times that.
You can take this to quite extreme levels and alter the game's code to handle lack of files, call other files, figure out formats to strip useless data, see games not crash under what it thinks are errors (still remember playing a version of half life 2 where I had to walk along facing a wall late in the game to avoid a skeleton asset that was not present from being loaded for that one scene and thus prevent a crash) that will make any ROM hacker give the nice work head nod. Most do not but it is an option. For the DS it is also what gave me a very early grounding in sound hacking (electrokplankton and its wave files you could easily replace with your own samples, and the goldeneye sound file we used as the smallest known replacement also wondered how I could make it silent -- playing castlevania and hearing goldeneye gunshots was an odd experience) but that might be getting a bit off topic, own choice of music in a game is a pretty nice perk though (especially if you fancy playing some EA and such games and don't want to suffer whatever the rights management lawyers and audio directors thought would be hip and happening and down with the kids of the early-mid 2000s... I say probably being thrilled to have something like the Need for Speed soundtracks in a modern game even if very few of those songs are in my personal collection).

*you can take note of which parts of the disc, and thus which files, are accessed in the game. Code logging/data logging https://fceux.com/web/help/CodeDataLogger.html being the name of the term. Play enough of the game, possibly even playing like a tester aiming to figure out what is being used (though see also the split game thing above as you might be able to do something on that front too).

Something to ponder in all this anyway.

Reactions: jeannotte

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
"I don't know the difference between a trimming algorithm and a compression one."
The compression format is only supported by Dolphin. The trimming one is perfectly optimised - it's impossible to do better. Older tools use less compatible trimming methods (and with big games, they can actually produce bigger files!)
I know the difference, but if tool makers and USB loaders aren't on board, then we shouldn't use it. To my knowledge, CFGLoader doesn't support the format, and Wii Game Manager doesn't either. These are the two tools I use the most.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if wii scrubbing tool works with gamecube images, but from what I remember, not all games work trimmed anyway.

clandestine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was adding some new games to my collection and thought... The tool I'm using is pretty old.

Is there any disadvantage to using GameCubeIsoCompress.exe still?

I just drag and drop my file and it converts it. I believe fix94 created this over a decade ago. I don't believe it's actively maintained.

clandestine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was adding some new games to my collection and thought... The tool I'm using is pretty old.

Is there any disadvantage to using GameCubeIsoCompress.exe still?

I just drag and drop my file and it converts it. I believe fix94 created this over a decade ago. I don't believe it's actively maintained.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this tool I mention? Fix94 (Nintendont) created it and it seems like it was last updated in 2013 (see: https://gbatemp.net/download/gamecube-iso-compressor.31916/). So newer than diskex or DMToolbox. It seems to be a mod to diskex. Why was it created and is there any disadvantage to using it today?

I enjoy the drag and drop nature of it (vs having to use cmd line in diskex) and have been using it for years. I'm just trying to understand better what's going on under the hood and what kind of isos I have since I've been using this.

I also see now that .ciso can work with USB loader GX. Can I convert my already scrubbed isos to .ciso without issues? Or does compressing a scribbled ISO create problems? Or is it simply redundant?

Thanks in advance, sorry, I know a lot of questions.

Last edited by clandestine,

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have any knowledge of this tool I mention? Fix94 (Nintendont) created it and it seems like it was last updated in 2013 (see: https://gbatemp.net/download/gamecube-iso-compressor.31916/). So newer than diskex or DMToolbox. It seems to be a mod to diskex. Why was it created and is there any disadvantage to using it today?

I enjoy the drag and drop nature of it (vs having to use cmd line in diskex) and have been using it for years. I'm just trying to understand better what's going on under the hood and what kind of isos I have since I've been using this.

I also see now that .ciso can work with USB loader GX. Can I convert my already scrubbed isos to .ciso without issues? Or does compressing a scribbled ISO create problems? Or is it simply redundant?

Thanks in advance, sorry, I know a lot of questions.

Or you could try JSO. Check the link I posted, above your comment.

drewby

Trophies
Website
www.instagram.com
XP
Country
United States
Or you could try JSO. Check the link I posted, above your comment.
The pull request is still open, so it hasn't been merged into the master branch. Nintendont won't support JISO until it's merged.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work