Homebrew What to do when you run out of room for wii saves?

LxTrix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can back them up but that seems to be it. Is there a good way to organize them. I wish there was a way to load saves from sd. If anyone has some suggestions I'd love to hear them, thanks.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you can just move them to SD, but to use them you need them on the actual wii, so you're probably better to move channels to and from sd and always leave enough room for all saves on console

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
wouldn't it be possible if you make a multigame-iso like disc, with on partition 0 a program that first copy's the savegame from the sd to nand, and than load the game from partition 1? in combination with a preloader program, so the savegame will automaticly be moved back to sd?

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
woah wait

thats a lot of complicated things compared to just manually copying it

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
i know its complicated, and not nessecery, but possible
tongue.gif

blackbrawler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why dont you just do the custom upgrade to 4.0 which allows you load straight from Sd card? Also be careful in the future because their are a lot of games that wont allow you to copy the file over to the Sd card. One of them being brawl.

d_bizzzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I too have this problem of low Wii space, have done all of the suggested methods:

- Delete or Move un-needed gamesaves to SD card via the data management menu,
- move wiiware, VC & channels to an SD card (accessible from the SD card menu firmware v4.1)

But most of my remaining space it is taken up with savegame files, lots of small 1 block one's, but some real chunky 128block one's too (ahem .. SSBB ,,, tsk-tsk) ...

I have used a neat Wii homebrew app called 'savegame manager', which easily transfers save-game data from the Wii to an SD card, it loads very fast, and is easy to use & very quick to transfer data.

(now here's an idea) ... could this savegame tool be incorporated into programs such as neogamma or usbloader, so that when a game from HDD or disc is loaded the correct gamesave is 'copied' from the SD card onto the Wii. Then at next load of another game the previous 'updated' savegame on the Wii is moved back on the SD card, before it begins to copy the savegame for the next loaded game ..

so basically the method is this .. (assuming all savegames are backed up on the SD card)

1- Game disc/hdd insert - game identified, correct savegame is pulled from the sd card sent to the wii
2- Game loads up, savegame is on the wii, game runs as normal ... game finished
3- Next Game disk/hdd run, previous savegame on wii is sent to the sd card overwriting the original
4- savegame is pulled from the sd card and sent to the wii (back to step 1)

etc. etc. etc

Do you think this would work ,,, could someone simplify my idea and pass the suggestions onto the genius's behind the neogamma & usbloader homebrew apps perhaps ??

If the savegame manager program can do it, I'm sure it's possible, it may take a few extra seconds to load up a game, but this would resolve the tiresome manual process of moving games back and forth to the SD just to reclaim some blocks of space

D-B

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you do realize that the last post before yours is over a year old, right?

since this topic was created, nand emulation has become possible. you can now transparently use a sd card / usb drive instead of your nand and not worry about moving anything.

start the nand emulator ( can even be done automatically when you turn on the wii )
start a game
the save data is read from and saved to the sd / usb
done

d_bizzzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
shy.gif
yea I kno, old thread, but surprisingly there don't seem to be many topics about running out of wii space, none with any solutions anyways.

Have tried the Nand route, and boy is it slow, I tried about 4 different SD cards using Bootmii Nand backups, and everytime it took about 3 minutes just to get to the wii menu screen let alone opening channels, spent a good 2 weeks trying different methods to get it working but with no joy, even tried formatting my wii and nand backing up, this reduced the boot-to-wii-menu time to about a minute, but this is far slower than the speed others seem to report, maybe bootmii nand dump isn't the best method, my next step was to try fsnand dumper, but I had trouble with that too ,,, ios35 downgrade or something was my next step, but I gave up on that for now ...

anyways, the fastest wii bootup and load does seem to be to use the wii's own standard internal memory, and I think surely with a little tweaking of the usb loaders or neogamma programs the save-game transfer method could surely be a possibility don't you think ?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im using puneek. i havent done a pepsi challenge, but it seems to be close enough to the speed of the real nand running from usb for everyday use. this is actual speed... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udKj1Aj9bko

theres no way a USB HDD will come close to internal flash memory, but i would say this is definitely fast enough.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK I'm not that versed in the innings and outings of Wii coding but couldn't someone write a StartPatch code that tells the Wii to not load save files from the NAND but to load them from the SD. Is there a universal line of code that all games use to find their save files? I'd imagine games that support NAND for the main save and SD for DLC might have an issue (GH and RB) but still, It would totally be worth it.

d_bizzzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think getting the Wii to accessing the SD card to save data during game play would be quite slow, even if it was possible, which I don't think it is.

My original idea was to have the savedata automatically copied to the Wii nand before the game has even loaded,
am sure this would be the most speed effective & least complicated way to access game-savedata yet never run out of wii nand space

puneek ? never heard of that, I used sneek v2 before, and I had no luck, very slow.
I will definitely give it a try tho, do you kno if this runs direct from SD card like sneek does ,,,
I have format my 1.5tb HDD with 1 full WFBS partition, damn I never left any space for a NTFS partition thinking I'd never need it
frown.gif

d_bizzzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
a second or two ? hehe, I dream of that result. All I get is a black screen for a good 2 minutes to the health & safety screen then another minute to the wii menu.

Even with a formatted wii nand image it still takes over a minute, yet I've tried 4 different brand SD cards, all of which others have approved as working fast ?!!

All the clips on youtube show speedy menu loading, it's no wonder folk use Nand as a way to avoid running out of local wii memory (amongst other reasons to use SD-NAND), but I did give it a good 2 weeks solid of headache and just could not get it working..

My Wii is quite old, one of the original models, and has a wiikey in there (many moons ago), could this be causing a slowdown ?!

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
use showmiiwads, create a new NAND with just the system menu you want, and the IOS it uses. copy settings.txt from one of your old NAND dumps over. Put it in your wii and wait a few mins until it does first time setup.

You should have a very fast NAND that way (missing all the IOS, but you can either add them in manually with showmiiwads or you can do an online update when running SNEEK - that DOES take a long time though, like 30mins plus).

If you have pre/iiloader installed that apparently caused problems (not sure if they were speed related).

d_bizzzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have pri-loader or anything like that, but last time I attempt to set up the SD-NAND it drove me crazy, Sneek seemed a bit temperamental and unstable to me,

Cheers for the advice guys, am still apprehensive about trying the Nand

Ideally wanted something v simple, hence my SD savegame copy idea, but I'll give the Nand another go
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk