Hacking What should I do before I start SX OS for the 1st time?

Sovikos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a Switch on 4.1.0 and my SX Pro just showed up today. My account that was created with the Switch hasn't bought any eGames or anything like that, but I am still wondering if I should/could remove that profile, and just create another one before I begin to use my SX Pro just in case the account/console would get banned (Would this even work? Isn't there a factory reset somewhere in the Switch to erase and start over?).

Once I have got that figured out, I've heard people mention to backup your NAND. Does this still hold true? Any special way to do this?

Probably have a hundred more questions about bans & going online, but I understand that no one knows any definitive thing, so I won't even go there.

Reactions: deanspeed

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Link a dummy account to your Switch so that if it gets banned, you won't have to worry about bans being associated with other consoles through that account
2. Backup your NAND with CTCaer's mod of Hekate before doing anything hacking related which you can use to go online as this may be the safest way to do that
3. ???
4. Profit

Reactions: Pluupy and aos10

Sovikos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. Link a dummy account to your Switch so that if it gets banned, you won't have to worry about bans being associated with other consoles through that account
2. Backup your NAND with CTCaer's mod of Hekate before doing anything hacking related which you can use to go online as this may be the safest way to do that
3. ???
4. Profit
How do I go about linking a dummy account up and removing the one associated with it?

aleexz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
First, I would still recommend backing up your NAND (cant post link because I have low posts but there is a tutorial in a thread called Switch Hacking 101) and SAVE IT in a safe place or two, then killing your internet connections (WiFi) and then running SX OS and activating the license offline. About bans it has always been the same since the beginning, I remember people having the same questions in the xbox 360 era and truth is, if you are interested in playing online buy a second device to do so, tiptoeing works until a certain point; the deeper we go with hacks/exploits the more prone we are to get banned and that's fine, if you want to run OFW and then go online to update games or whatever you want keep in mind that you will never be 100% safe.

Last edited by aleexz,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

koziakauzu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Backing up your NAND means restoring it everytime you want to go online.
And it still won't erase every traces of things you did with your switch.
Useless unless you plan to do any "deeper" or more complex hacking.
Just try to behave (no save editing, no cheat, no online with backup) and it should be fine.

Sovikos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. Via Online (involves updating to the latest firmware): https://en-americas-support.nintend...a-nintendo-account-from-a-switch-user-account
2. Via Offline: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22559/~/what-is-lost-after-initializing-the-nintendo-switch?
3. Also Via Offline (but can present a ban risk): Using the leaked DevMenu app (cannot be provided on this site)
I am trying to do #2, so do I just do it in Maintenance mode is what you are saying? But it says it will keep the user in the system?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to do #2, so do I just do it in Maintenance mode is what you are saying? But it says it will keep the user in the system?
Users are personal accounts saved in the Switch that are not tied to Nintendo Accounts by themselves. They basically are used if you want to use certain settings with the Switch without having to manually change them every time someone new is using the console. If you initialize the console, it will un-link the Nintendo Account(s) but leave the Users in place.

Sovikos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Users are personal accounts saved in the Switch that are not tied to Nintendo Accounts by themselves. They basically are used if you want to use certain settings with the Switch without having to manually change them every time someone new is using the console. If you initialize the console, it will un-link the Nintendo Account(s) but leave the Users in place.
Oh sweet! So I can still use my saves then?

Sovikos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems like it will (which is strange but good). If you're feeling paranoid, you can backup your saves with a homebrew application such as EdiZon.
Nah I thought it over and was finally in agreement to just erase the saves, but if I can save them that is fine. Thanks for the info!

Anonfake123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
Is it safer to have a European account with no sharing telemetry or just to not have an account linked to Nintendo at all.
What about an account that has been linked to Nintendo on the Switch but is not de-linked showing a "!" on the icon now show that it is unlinked? Is that the same thing as having no linked Nintendo Account (i.e. a local account)?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it safer to have a European account with no sharing telemetry or just to not have an account linked to Nintendo at all.
What about an account that has been linked to Nintendo on the Switch but is not de-linked showing a "!" on the icon now show that it is unlinked? Is that the same thing as having no linked Nintendo Account (i.e. a local account)?
The new GDPR regulations involve customer privacy and whatnot which arguably can exclude information that would lead to a ban. For example, they can't detect the e-mail address you use but they can see if you're running a CFW or homebrew which are not counted as personal information. If you feel safer with that type of information blocked, you can either set your router to block that URL or set up a European account so you have the option to disable it from their website.

That means that Nintendo doesn't know that the Switch has been un-linked meaning in their records, they still associate that account with that console. Due to this, it may not be possible to link that Nintendo Account to another console without letting Nintendo know first. However, there are offline ways of un-linking it without modifying your system so they won't perceive that type of behavior as bad unless they have evidence to believe so.

Sovikos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you sure this works? I just initialized in maintenance mode and when done, if I check under my user settings, my account still shows it linked to a Nintendo Account. I can't remove or delete the user without connecting to the internet it says.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure this works? I just initialized in maintenance mode and when done, if I check under my user settings, my account still shows it linked to a Nintendo Account. I can't remove or delete the user without connecting to the internet it says.
Well, this is working off of Nintendo's word so that means that they are lying not me. You can also try initializing from System Settings granted you have backed up your save data and anything else worth saving.

Sovikos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, this is working off of Nintendo's word so that means that they are lying not me. You can also try initializing from System Settings granted you have backed up your save data and anything else worth saving.
Yeah but you have to update firmware to do this right? I tried to delete the user or unlinking the acount and it keeps asking me to go online and then update firmware. Is there good enough reasons I shouldn't? I'm on 4.1.0, which leads me to my next questions:
Can I still go online and update games while on 4.1.0 on OFW or CFW. With CFW, can I do more than just update games?
Are there some games that need higher firmware to work anyway, so I might as well update?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but you have to update firmware to do this right? I tried to delete the user or unlinking the acount and it keeps asking me to go online and then update firmware. Is there good enough reasons I shouldn't? I'm on 4.1.0, which leads me to my next questions:
Can I still go online and update games while on 4.1.0 on OFW or CFW. With CFW, can I do more than just update games?
Are there some games that need higher firmware to work anyway, so I might as well update?
You can only update games on the latest firmware. There are no games that require higher than 4.1 at this time, however.

If you must/want to update, you can follow this guide to update to whatever firmware you want: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

Requirements are that the Switch must boot into RCM when you load a firmware that is not native to your console. For this, the guide has you install AutoRCM to prevent you from booting the Switch normally and potentially burning fuses when running a higher firmware.

Cdoan34

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a new switch and its on 4.1. When i try to link my profile to an account its asking me to update, is there a way around this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8